Anyone else feel cold all the time after weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Not really. It's hard to gauge though because my mom has heart failure and insists we keep the house between 75 F - 78 F. She still wears blankets and coats at those temperatures!
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I was absolutely freezing all the time after losing 150 lbs. Been maintaining for 2.5 years now though and it's a lot better. This past Winter (I'm in Australia) I only noticed cold hands and nose rather than all over shivering freezing cold like I was the two Winters prior. Still, I'm glad for the warmer weather that is approaching!
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Definitely feel the cold much worse post weight loss. Really, struggle to stay warm. I've also noticed my nose tends to stream whilst out in any cold weather. I will shortly be switching to maintenance/small surplus and am hoping this makes a difference.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Unfortunately, no. As a woman of a certain age I've been hot for a long time. Years. That's after a lifetime of being cold all the time. I was the type of person who could be chilly on a 90 degree day. Now I'm hot on a 50 degree day even after a 25 pound weight loss and being diagnosed with hypothyroidism (which typically makes you sensitive to cold). I miss being cold. It's much better than being hot.

As a fellow woman of a certain age, I had the exact opposite experience. I was always hot all the time when I was younger.

I hit menopause before I lost weight, and after the hot flashes passed, the thermostat broke, and I was cold all the time. I was still obese.

So, in answer to the OP, I was cold long before I started losing weight. I might be colder now, I can't even tell. I just know I'm cold all the time unless I make a conscientious effort to keep moving around.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I am really noticing this now as winter approaches. The average day time outside temp here is around 10c / 50f although in our old concrete work building with no heating its could be around 7c / 44f. I am freezing all the time. I stand with a fleece jacket on, jumper, t-shirt and thermal vest and I am still cold while some colleagues are still in t-shirts, and I'll not even talk about the woolly hat and thermal socks. I can't seem to get warm in anything lower than 15c / 59f

I noticed this is the summer also, I used to dread summer as I overheated and went bright red in temps as low 18c / 64f but this year after the weight loss I wasn't even in a t-shirt unless it was over 18c.

Anyone else notice this?

Yup. Enjoy layering up - and your lower weight! Totally worth it...
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm always freezing.. but I blamed it on winter.. then again I was freezing this summer as well
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm an old geezer; I'm cold all the time and losing 72 lbs hasn't helped. I own several weights of coat and jacket, sweaters, scarves, hats and hat liners, long underwear, face masks for below zero F days, gloves and glove liners, and hand warmers.

I see overweight people running around in short sleeved shirts when I have to bundle up. I'd rather be skinny and healthy and freezing my *kitten* off.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Me! I lost 40 lbs and I have to bundle up a bit more. My body was used to having a little more insulation.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Check your iron level too =)
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I live in the southern US so it is only just now getting cold this week and last. I definitely feel cold now, but I can't say that's worse than last year (I lost 43 pounds starting January 1). Usually thick socks, sweatpants, and a robe around the house are enough for me. But when I am doing yoga in the basement every morning, I am doing it right next to a space heater. And I look forward to Insanity workout days because those warm me up like nothing else. And I frequently wish we had a water heater with a bigger tank for baths and showers.
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I was always a jeans and sweatshirt in the summer person, because my ex liked the A/C on cold. I still wear slippers and a sweatshirt in the house but now it's so I can keep my thermostat lower and save money!