Taking obese children from their parents???

Options

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought, why don't they take the time and money they put into taking these children from parents that are trying there best, and use it to help reduce the cost of healthier food options? Sees abit much if you ask me, a mom trying her best working 2 jobs to make it and they take her child. That is pretty messed up!
    Looking for logic in the government is like looking for intelligence in a rock.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought, why don't they take the time and money they put into taking these children from parents that are trying there best, and use it to help reduce the cost of healthier food options? Sees abit much if you ask me, a mom trying her best working 2 jobs to make it and they take her child. That is pretty messed up!
    Looking for logic in the government is like looking for intelligence in a rock.

hahaha true!
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If they really want to make a difference, they need to regulate what is in our food and what is available at the stores to feed our children. 100 years ago, all you had to eat was good food. Let's go back to those days...
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If they really want to make a difference, they need to regulate what is in our food and what is available at the stores to feed our children. 100 years ago, all you had to eat was good food. Let's go back to those days...

We will be able to do that in 2012 when we go back to farming and hunting. :) lol
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    Taking them away for something like this will only get them really @#$@#$ up kids. Overweight does not mean abused!!! Great, take a perfectly happy and emotionally intact child and rip them away from their mother. Idiots, Idiots, Idiots!

Just curious. They aren't talking about overweight kids, they are talking about super obese kids - 400 pound 10 year olds and younger. You really don't think that is abuse? There will be serious repercussions from this for the rest of their lives. I don't have an answer either, but I am curious how this can't be seen as abuse. And I was miserable with my obesity as an adult, I can't imagine a child weighing twice what I do could possibly be "perfectly happy and emotionally intact".
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

We will be able to do that in 2012 when we go back to farming and hunting. :) lol
    Nu huh. According to the Aztecs, I got no worries after 2012. w00t!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    Options

Nu huh. According to the Aztecs, I got no worries after 2012. w00t!

Didnt the guy change the date from May to October of this year??
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I think if you want to eat healthy you can. Im sure those grocery bills would go down if there was some serious portion control too. Again, PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Im sure there is a small percentage that has an actual medical condition. However, they cant afford not to eat better. PERIOD. We have become a nation (USA) of excuses. Losers make excuses Winners get it done! (sorry an old boss used to say that! he was a former football coach!) but its true.

EXACTLY!~
  • SemperAnticus1643
    Options
    Is it really more expensive to make/grow more wholesome foods? I guess I can't wrap my mind around the fact that its cheaper to process all the food than it is to pick it straight from a garden or raise it. That just blows my mind. I just can't seem to fathom the fact that I'm paying more for food that you had to do less to. And maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see how if its all organic with no additives or whatever.
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. 99.9% of the time, I would argue that this would be inappropriate but like everything in life, there are exceptions. Just like the state can (and should) intervene if a child is found to be malnurished, allowing a child to reach the most extreme levels of morbid obesity could qualify as a form of abuse given the major health risks that exist.

It's a slippery slope though - 1) how extreme must the obesity be to intervene?, 2) at what age does the child become more accountable for what they choose to eat (I would argue that a parent is more accountable for a morbidly obese 6 year old versus a morbidly obese 17 year old)?

It's a shame that school funding issues have decimated physical education programs in this country and politics have the fringe right wingers (I'm a registered Republican) going nuts over Michelle Obama's obesity inititiatives. Obesity is becoming more serious and the long term costs to our nations health care and national security (the pool of people eligible for military service continues to shrink in proportion to our expanding national girth) are far too great to continue to ignore.

I don't fully buy into the healthier stuff being more expensive as the primary driver for our obesity epidemic. Yes, it is true that healthier foods are more costly but I think that the vast majority of our problem results from portion control. I ate McDonalds and drank soda when I was young but this was when the portions were a fraction of today's size. I think that the "super size" mentality has carried over to all meals whether eating out or at home. Coke and Pepsi used to be sold in 8 OZ bottles and now, 12 OZ to 20 OZ is the norm. Couple our increased portions with a lack of exercise (I remember PE every day in school) and voila, we have a problem.

I live in California and the problem is bad but when I travel to other parts of the country and see school kids getting off the bus in places like Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi, etc., the levels of extreme obesity are both alarming and heart breaking.

Sadly, far to many people seem to remain in a sad state of denial...
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Is it really more expensive to make/grow more wholesome foods? I guess I can't wrap my mind around the fact that its cheaper to process all the food than it is to pick it straight from a garden or raise it. That just blows my mind. I just can't seem to fathom the fact that I'm paying more for food that you had to do less to. And maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see how if its all organic with no additives or whatever.
    Went to get some fresh asparagus yesterday, and I was looking at the organic (I didn't realize it was organic), $8.99 a lb!!! Really?! Needless to say organic is NOT on my list of groceries. I think it costs more because it has to be grown a certain way and has to be certified organic, and all this costs the growers more$$>
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think the gov't has a right to intervene, as childhood obesity is the fault of the parents, but to take away a child should only be the last resort. Education is the way to go. At least give the parents a chance to correct the behavior before taking the child away.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    Options
    I think the gov't has a right to intervene, as childhood obesity is the fault of the parents, but to take away a child should only be the last resort. Education is the way to go. At least give the parents a chance to correct the behavior before taking the child away.

I fully agree with that. As my dad says, "if you had time to sleep last night, you had time to get it done." (He's retired military.)
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I hate how people say "it's more expensive eating healthy!". It's NOT TRUE!!! Fast food is actually a lot more expensive than buying fresh food, you just have to know where to shop...
    I agree.... I actually don't spend as much and don't have to go to the store as often now. I'm not buying alll the junk food that I used to buy which frees up money. It does take me more time prep time because I grind turkey for burgers, blanch veggies to be frozen ect.....
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    STOP THE NANNY STATE!!!!!! Our country is taking away too many rights under the guise of 'protection' for our citizens and our children. Children need their families to raise them, not a state institution! Don't even get me started!!!!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Obesity is not child abuse unless she ties that child to a chair and force feeds him to obesity. Educate for change.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Arent the same people that are screaming that obesity is a disease the same ones that are saying "take the kids away! obesity is abuse"?

Which is it? A disease or abuse?
  • SemperAnticus1643
    Options
    I guess obesity could be looked at as a form of neglect? Your not paying enough attention to your child to make them eat better. Just like malnutrition. Your not paying enough attention to them to feed them.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    Options
    Arent the same people that are screaming that obesity is a disease the same ones that are saying "take the kids away! obesity is abuse"?

Which is it? A disease or abuse?

I wouldn't call it a disease. Obesity leads to diseases though. That would be like saying smoking is a disease to me. Unless disease and addiction are the same thing.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a disease. Obesity is a disease, result of other disease, and contributor to other disease. As an eating disorder it's a disease.

"A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, esp. one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury"