Do you shop groceries online?

Options
Hi Pals,
Do you shop groceries online and if you do which websites you use in your country?

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I don't like to shop online, I prefer to get my goods at the time money is exchanged. I can see how it would be convenient to have someone else grocery shop for you, but then you can't do the sniff test on things like shampoo, lotions, deodorant or the squeeze test on bread.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have used online shopping option for HyVee stores and then picked up my groceries at the physical store several times. We did not live in the delivery area but had reasons to be near the store.
    The quality of the goods and service was good. Shopping online made it easy to compare prices and saved a lot of time for my family. We pulled up to the store and had a car trunk full of groceries in about 5 minutes and were on our way. It was worth the small fee.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have specific things I buy online. I use Azure Standard but I believe they only have delivery drops in the NW (USA). I might be wrong. They may be nationwide now, not sure. I buy all of my shampoos, handsoap, body soaps, etc. online at VitaCost because they are much cheaper then buying from the store here. If I'm desperate and out I'll buy one locally until I can order. Otherwise, online only. Being selective with what I get online saves us a TON of money. It would easily add another 300-400 a month to my grocery bill (I'm including food/non-foods/etc) if we didn't do this.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! It is so much cheaper for us to plan and buy online. When I don't do it and we buynin fits and spurts in person we have more waste and spend more.

I'm in the UK and use Sainsbury's. I pay £60 for deliveries for a whole year, but if I didn't use that much money's worth of delivery services I would get back the difference. Win win. I can pick 30 min slots all day, every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Save for specialty items, no.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been using Walmart grocery pick up (USA). I like it a lot for the same reasons everyone else has stated. There is no fee associated. I have also seen Lee's Marketplace (local grocer) offering this option.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't, but my parents have started using Kroger's online ordering system. With chronic illness and pain, it's difficult for them to move around the store, so this is much easier for them (and affordable...I think my mom said she cut the bill down about 30% now that there aren't as many impulse buys).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    There's a valley about 200 miles away that Beth and I like to go visit. One of the towns has a farm that makes goat cheese. It's $8.50 a package at the local grocery store. We get it for $7 delivered to our front door in Seattle. I'm not really sure how that's possible, but there you have it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    All. The. Time. It's really common here in the UK, I would say nearly everyone I know does it at least sporadically. And Tesco now does same day delivery if you order in the morning. I use mostly Sainsburys and Tesco, for a splurge now and again Waitrose and if on a budget Asda.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who secretly loves grocery shopping haha. Our Sobeys offers grocery delivery but the fee is high and I really do enjoy choosing my own produce, etc.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    Options
    I do! It reduces temptation to impulse buy items.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I love online grocery shopping - I can use the website like an ongoing shopping list so I forget things less often, I only buy what I need, I can see the total and adjust my purchases accordingly, I stick to my budget better.
    Plus it saves time and us just so convenient!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the idea of someone else picking out my produce.

Not something I'm willing to trust to someone else.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

Yes! I don't need some whippersnapper loading me up with under ripe bananas and avocados! Haha
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

I'm the same way - I want to see the produce and the meat before I buy it because I am picky. I did use the on-line shopping some this summer while I was recovering from surgery but I was getting all my produce from the farm share and was already stocked up on meats.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I get quite a bit of produce delivered. We have a company here called FreshDirect. I have found their produce is so much better than the supermarket nearby. They delivery the next day and stand behind their produce. I once got a bad pineapple from them, the next day they delivered a free pineapple with an apology note and a code for free shipping on my next order.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options

I will admit I found that a hard concept at first, but the people selecting use their judgement too just as I do, and it's in their interest to give me nice produce - otherwise I ring up and get a refund! I have been very happy with our service, even delicate produce like tomatoes and avocados arrive safe and sound.

I have actually only had to get a refund once - a vacuum sealed piece of meat had a cut in the bag and it didn't look right to me. They refunded AND replaced it!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I won't even let my husband buy produce any more. He's messed up too many times. The last time he bought grapes was just tragic.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I live in DC and I mix it up. I use Peapod to deliver my staples and toiletries. I go to the farmers market a few blocks away for produce and cuts of meat.