Snacks with high VitaminD?

Options
I just got blood results back and have Vitamin D deficiency. This is the first time I was ever tested for it. Reading the description and symptoms from other websites, I feel like they are writing about me. All my current issues are listed as symptoms. I have a follow-up with my doctor scheduled in a few months (February) but don't want to wait until then to start addressing it.

I'm looking for snack suggestions, preferably low sugar or sugar-free as my husband is diabetic. Would love to hear from anyone who also has this deficiency.

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I just take supplements. I have a liquid D that is 1,000 IU per drop. I take 5 - 7 drops per day. Been deficient for more than a decade...
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Dairy products are going to be a source, but supplementing with an OTC capsule would be best. However your practitioner should be the one to recommend how much is necessary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I supplement with 1,000 IU per day and whatever is in my multi vitamin currently...I started with 5,000 IU per day though.

Good food sources include:

- Mushrooms
    - Oily fish like trout and salmon
    - Caviar
    - Fortified cereals
    - Tofu
    - Dairy products

It really depends on how deficient you are...while all of these are decent sources, it can be difficult to rectify the deficiency with food alone.

Also, get some sun and remember that vitamin D is fat soluble...so you need to eat dietary fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Fatty fish, liver and eggs are rich in vitamin D and are practically sugar free.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic with a Vitamin D deficiency too. The BEST source for vitamin D is just spending time in the sunlight for at least 20 minutes a day. That's the way the body absorbs it the best.

As stated above it really depends on how deficient you really are. I was on 2,000+ IU supplement per day until I increased my running outside. It made all the difference. You're going to have to eat a LOT of mushrooms, oily fish, and fortified dairy to get close to what a supplement can give you.
  • clairelizzy1972
    clairelizzy1972 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Unfortunately the sun isn't much of an option for me due to my work schedule. Doesn't sound like I would be able to correct it with food either!

I bought a 2000 IU supplement and will start with that. Waiting for my doctor's office to call and tell me what to do. The results just came in yesterday so I'm being patient and giving them some time.

For those of you who were overweight before using the supplements did it help? I read that it can but don't want to be too optimistic about it, as I really struggle to get my weight to budge.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Food carotene + sunlight will convert to D, so carrots and mangoes and pretty much any fruit/veg that's yellow or orange
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The reason so many people are deficient in vitamin D is that it is very hard to get from food. Just stick with a supplement.

(I'm chronically deficient and it may have lead to some health issues, so I've looked into it)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You're not going to be able to correct it with food. When my vitamin D was low, my doc had me take 8000 units a day (standard treatment is 50,000 units a week for 8-16 weeks) instead of going with prescription drops.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just got blood results back and have Vitamin D deficiency. This is the first time I was ever tested for it. Reading the description and symptoms from other websites, I feel like they are writing about me. All my current issues are listed as symptoms. I have a follow-up with my doctor scheduled in a few months (February) but don't want to wait until then to start addressing it.

I'm looking for snack suggestions, preferably low sugar or sugar-free as my husband is diabetic. Would love to hear from anyone who also has this deficiency.

supplements and sunshine!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The other issue causing a lot of D deficiency is the fact that it's fat soluble. There's been more than one study showing that it's uptake can be greatly increased by taking it with some form of oil. Personally, I started taking mine followed shortly by a tbsp of evoo, and though disgusting, it did help.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I take supplements also. And try to get out into the sunshine. You can also try buying a SAD lamp. Lots of milks and juices are fortified with vitamin D, so you could try those. The nice thing about juices and milks is that they don't have to be "part" of the meal. You can have them any time you wish on their own.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The other issue causing a lot of D deficiency is the fact that it's fat soluble. There's been more than one study showing that it's uptake can be greatly increased by taking it with some form of oil. Personally, I started taking mine followed shortly by a tbsp of evoo, and though disgusting, it did help.

i take mine (1,500 IU/ Daily) with my krill oil supplement. :smiley:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the sun isn't much of an option for me due to my work schedule. Doesn't sound like I would be able to correct it with food either!

I bought a 2000 IU supplement and will start with that. Waiting for my doctor's office to call and tell me what to do. The results just came in yesterday so I'm being patient and giving them some time.

For those of you who were overweight before using the supplements did it help? I read that it can but don't want to be too optimistic about it, as I really struggle to get my weight to budge.

I wouldnt take anything until the dr calls you back,they will probably prescribe a supplement.its not going to help you lose weight either. I was overweight when I was deficient,took 50,000 IU once a week and now I take 5,000 every other day(it keeps it in the normal ranges). it didnt help me lose weight before I started trying to lose weight,only a calorie deficit can do that.Im still having issues with losing weight.I weigh everything too. so no a supplement wont help with weight loss.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Certain varieties of eggs have a good amount of vitamin D, also enriched dairy, some breakfast cereals also. Fat is necessary for good absorption and you also need sufficient calcium with the Vitamin D. During the summer months be sure to get about 15 minutes of sun exposure with no sunblock or sunscreen.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I'm going to second a few other members and tell you to hold off on taking anything before your doc tells you to. They will likely put you on a high therapeutic dose for a while then switch you to a maintenance dose. If you have a lunch break, is there a way you can eat your lunch outside under direct sunlight?
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You should take a supplement and get your levels checked periodically. Since vit D is fat-soluble, it is possible to overdose on it (don't share supplements with your husband)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    You should take a supplement and get your levels checked periodically. Since vit D is fat-soluble, it is possible to overdose on it (don't share supplements with your husband)

she should wait until her dr calls her because he/she will probably prescribe one
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »

she should wait until her dr calls her because he/she will probably prescribe one

Exactly