Garmin Connect and MFP

Options
rprr
rprr Posts: 28 Member
I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR which I'm using with MFP. What should the settings be in MFP?

Should I put down sedentary with no workouts in MFP and let Garmin sync the exercise activity over?

Thanks.

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That's what I use but then honestly I am fairly sedentary because I have an office job. I just figure I would rather be under than over. It has worked well for me and I have lost 66 pounds.
  • rprr
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @cheryldumais -- Thanks. While my job is indeed sedentary, I am hoping that the Garmin VAHR will motivate me to keep moving throughout the day with all of the buzzing :wink:
  • cheryldumais
    Options
    It does! I have the Vivosmart 2 and I love it. It really forces me to keep track of how much I move.
  • rprr
    Options
    That is awesome to lose 66 pounds. May I ask how long it took?
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Garmin Connect can do some funny, eyebrow-quirking things to the calorie goal, but I find it's a good thing.

If you put sedentary down and you're not, it may give you a shocking amount of extra exercise calories depending on your actual activity. I have a 'lightly active' setting in MFP, but my forerunner compensates me with 400-700 calories extra on the days I'm really running around my job. I've noticed that on the days I exercise in the mornings, it will adjust my goal by almost 1,000 calories by the end of the day. On the days I go hike a mountain with a pack on, it can adjust my goal by thousands of calories without me starting an activity.

If you use the negative adjustment setting (which I recommend,) the days where you're just laying in bed sick or lounging and watching tv, it will give you some pretty startling subtractions. Occasionally it will glitch out on me and subtract any activities I input manually, but you can always delete the subtraction for the day to fix it.

The great thing about connect is that it will adjust the goal for the day for you. I only eat back half of the numbers it gives me, so that I'm not bringing myself up to maintenance.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    rprr wrote: »
    @cheryldumais -- Thanks. While my job is indeed sedentary, I am hoping that the Garmin VAHR will motivate me to keep moving throughout the day with all of the buzzing :wink:

It does--I also make my staff get up and we walk around the conference table in meetings when the alert buzzes.

I am set to sedentary and have everything sync over (steps and exercise).
  • cheryldumais
    Options
    rprr wrote: »
    That is awesome to lose 66 pounds. May I ask how long it took?
    Sorry haven't been on for a while. It has really been since January. I'm 60 years old though and it is slow at my age.