How do i eat the recommended amount?

I'm a beer deliverer I unload beer out of a side loader and stock it inside of the stores. I use 2 different step counters and take the average of the two which is about 13-15 thousand steps a day. Plus I'm pushing a dolly around loaded with beer and picking up cases and kegs all day. My calorie count is obviously off from what mfp says:
Goal- 2460
Food- 1800(today so far)
Exercise -1688
Remaining-2348

How do I get the calories I need in so I can lose the weight in the right way... I have been losing weight to fast so what do I do?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    You're logging those steps as exercise? Or are they connected to MFP?

If you're having trouble meeting your goal, try to add some foods from this list: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    You're not logging 100% of your steps are you?

Activity trackers "sync" to MFP. This means you get the "difference" between your stated activity level & your actual activity. If you have 2 "syncing" activity trackers.....pick the lowest value & work with that until you get a feel for the numbers. You'll eventually figure out which one is best for you.

Calorie dense foods (list above).......
  • richdevon92
    richdevon92 Posts: 4 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

If you're having trouble meeting your goal, try to add some foods from this list: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

I have one that is sync to mfp and the other is one I use as a reference. Thank you :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member

I have one that is sync to mfp and the other is one I use as a reference. Thank you :)

Let the one that syncs take care of everything. You're likely double logging calories in this case.
  • richdevon92
    TeaBea wrote: »
    You're not logging 100% of your steps are you?

Activity trackers "sync" to MFP. This means you get the "difference" between your stated activity level & your actual activity. If you have 2 "syncing" activity trackers.....pick the lowest value & work with that until you get a feel for the numbers. You'll eventually figure out which one is best for you.

Calorie dense foods (list above).......

I'm using a step counter on my phone the LG one and then then another app that syncs to mfp
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,242 Member
    Do you add any exercise/steps manually in mfp? If you are you shouldn't. The one that syncs takes care of that.
    15k steps should be around 600 additional calories (considering I don't know your weight). But in this order, not the 1600 order. I think so at least.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Do you add any exercise/steps manually in mfp? If you are you shouldn't. The one that syncs takes care of that.
    15k steps should be around 600 additional calories (considering I don't know your weight). But in this order, not the 1600 order. I think so at least.

It would be 600 calories for me or you but we don't know the OPs weight and I think they are male. Their calorie count could be accurate. 1800 calories per day and losing quickly show that they need to eat more to fuel their very physical job. It's not just the steps here either, there's the lugging about of heavy beer.

OP, you can add back in calorie dense items that you have maybe sought to exclude because "healthy". Use oils, oily dressings, butter on your veg, nut butters, chocolate bars, bread. All of it is fine in the context of a well rounded diet within your calories.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016

I get 15-25K steps per day (averaging about 19K). I burn an average of 2800 cals/day and I am a 165 pound female. I choose "active" as my setting on this site, and I get an "extra" 400-600 cals/day. So, that's about 1200-1400 calories of NEAT every day.

If my husband (235 pound male) gets about 15K steps, he burns at least 4000 cals/day. These are numbers from our FitBits, but the weight loss backs them up.

So, yes, I completely believe that the OP can have that sort of a calorie burn. The "test" is the actual weight loss - and he says he's losing too fast. If he's losing too fast, he needs to eat more. It's a process I've been working through for the last 4 months - trying to find the right amount of calories to slow the weightloss down to 1 pound/week. (I know the math says 2300; I'm testing that theory at the moment. It was harder to work out pre-FitBit.)

The good news is he gets to eat calorie dense food! I added small servings of ice cream back into my diet. I have cheese on my sandwich. I can have the occasional cookie. I can have more almond butter on my toast in the morning.

My husband gets his extra calories through somewhat larger portions at dinner (compared to me and the kids) and by snacking. He's actually managing to lose weight without counting - just as a side effect of me counting. :-)
  • SusanMFindlay
    I should add, though, that large weight losses in the first week or two are usually water weight. I'm assuming the "too fast" weight loss has lasted longer than a week or two.
  • Seffell

I get 15-25K steps per day (averaging about 19K). I burn an average of 2800 cals/day and I am a 165 pound female. I choose "active" as my setting on this site, and I get an "extra" 400-600 cals/day. So, that's about 1200-1400 calories of NEAT every day.

If my husband (235 pound male) gets about 15K steps, he burns at least 4000 cals/day. These are numbers from our FitBits, but the weight loss backs them up.

Wow that's a lot of calories! I wished I could eat that much. I didn't burn as much when I was 165 but I wasn't as active. I burn only 300cal for 10k steps these days :(

I stand corrected then, OP. It seems you get to eat more! That has to be good news I hope!
    We sadly don't @VintageFeline...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    I often have the same issue.
    Learn to create nutrient dense shakes.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member

Let the one that syncs take care of everything. You're likely double logging calories in this case.

It's unlikely that OP is double logging if he is "losing weight too fast," as he says. And if he is double-logging, it's clearly not causing him a problem.

OP, if you're losing weight too fast, consume more calories.

If you told us your current height and weight, how long you've been tracking weight loss at your current calorie level, what that calorie level is, how much weight you've lost during that time, and whether the weight loss has been fairly steady or has been slowing down, we could give you somewhat more specific advice than "eat more."
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Wow that's a lot of calories! I wished I could eat that much. I didn't burn as much when I was 165 but I wasn't as active. I burn only 300cal for 10k steps these days :(

I stand corrected then, OP. It seems you get to eat more! That has to be good news I hope!

I'm 165 currently and get about 400 per 10k but agreed, it's not as lovely a number as OP! That said, I rarely get 10k steps so my numbers are even sadder. It's my cross to bear.
  • Seffell

I'm 165 currently and get about 400 per 10k but agreed, it's not as lovely a number as OP! That said, I rarely get 10k steps so my numbers are even sadder. It's my cross to bear.

Well it's never too late to grow taller :) But I diverge.
  • SusanMFindlay
    edited November 2016

I'm assuming that's 400 calories over top of the "sedentary" setting? So, about 650 over BMR?

Either way, there are a lot of little extras that can add up. e.g. A lot of our step are either hilly or up/down stairs. We have two young children that we carry a lot. The OP is pushing around heavy weights.

Also, stride length matters. And some people get good at walking "efficiently" (i.e same distance for fewer calories).

• richdevon92
    To update :
    I am a 24 year old male
    I am 215 lbs, and 6ft.
    I have been doing this job for 2 months now almost 3 months now . so I know its not just water weight . after 9 weeks I have lost about 20-25 lbs.
  • SusanMFindlay
    Thank you for the additional information. Basically, you're a big guy and you're active. You need to eat more. While you should of course make sure that you're getting all the nutrition you need from your food, you'll need to include more calorie dense foods as well to get your calories up to where they need to be.

That could include:
    Cheese
    Nuts or nut butters
    Avocado
    Meat
    Eggs
    Oils, butter, etc.

As well as the often maligned (but perfectly fine in context of a healthy diet) foods like:
    Pizza
    Ice Cream
    Hamburgers
    Sausages
    Bacon
    Pie

And many more foods I've probably forgotten to list.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    If you can eat 2.5k of calories a day maintain energy levels while working then personally I wouldn't worry about losing weight too quick. Embrace it but remember it slows down the smaller you get. you'll need less calories and burn less. Eventually it may level out.

If you find you can't maintain energy levels then up you daily intake by a couple of hundred at a time every few days and see what happens.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Just curious, what is losing "too fast"? What is the danger of this? Does the rate of safe weight loss change depending on how much weight one has to lose?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    To update :
    I am a 24 year old male
    I am 215 lbs, and 6ft.
    I have been doing this job for 2 months now almost 3 months now . so I know its not just water weight . after 9 weeks I have lost about 20-25 lbs.

So you've been losing somewhere in the range of 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 lbs a week, which is a bit fast for someone who is overweight but no longer obese. You didn't tell us how many calories you've been eating per day on average, but if you could figure that out, I'd recommend adding about 300 calories, do that for a few weeks, and see how much you lose. If you're still losing more than 2 lbs a week, add another 300 calories.

kkress92 wrote: »
    Just curious, what is losing "too fast"? What is the danger of this? Does the rate of safe weight loss change depending on how much weight one has to lose?

In general, losing "too fast" is losing faster than is optimal for your health. The dangers can include sacrificing an unnecessary amount of lean mass (muscle, which includes your heart, and eventually even organs), compromising your immune system and your body's ability to heal itself, having your hair fall out, etc.

Yes, the rate of safe weight loss varies depending on how much weight you have to lose and how much body fat you have. In addition, at a certain point, the health benefits for an obese person in getting down to a healthier weight might be greater than the risks from rapid weight loss, but that's a judgment to be made in individual cases by a medical professional who, hopefully, will monitor the patient during the rapid weight loss.