Low blood pressure?

Options
Any one else start to experience low blood pressure when they began eating healthier. I think I might be because almost every time I stand up, I'm dizzy. Do you think that would be the reason? Any tips? TIA

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Have you checked your blood pressure or are you assuming that is what it could be? Dehydration can cause the same effect, but doesn't mean you are hypotensive. But to answer your question a healthy low sodium diet can improve blood pressure.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Any one else start to experience low blood pressure when they began eating healthier. I think I might be because almost every time I stand up, I'm dizzy. Do you think that would be the reason? Any tips? TIA

Low blood pressure diagnosed by a doctor?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    How big is your deficit?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Happens, especially if your carb intake reduces. A couple of grams a day of extra salt often compensates.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Could also be a sign of dehydration or under-eating. I get lightheaded when I forget to eat.
  • tanny684
    tanny684 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's probably a sign of dehydration. In the olden days we would say eat a packet of ready salted crisps (chips) and drink some water ;-). Have you actually checked your blood pressure?

There is a difference between healthy blood pressure and problematic blood pressure. Generally if you are lying down a systolic of 80 or above will mean your organs are perfused just fine. A healthy systolic blood pressure for a young person can be 110, 120, even 100 as long as you're asymptomatic. I am overweight but before I smoked my systolic was usually around 95. Now that I smoke (NOT ADVISED lol) it's about 115. But I was never symptomatic with it.

Dizziness does not necessarily equal low blood pressure. Is your blood sugar low? Have you been eating enough carbs? Lack of carbs/energy can lead to dizziness. Could be postural drop. Are you on any blood pressure medication? Are you diabetic? On metformin etc?

I have only ever seen dangerous hypotension secondary to sepsis etc. Never in a healthy adult, spontaneously. To my knowledge the only treatment would be IV fluids or cell expanders which would not be a long term solution.

So lol, to sum up....do you know what your blood pressure is? Your blood sugar? If you're diabetic or on anti hypertensives these will definitely need to be reviewed following a change in lifestyle. If you're low carbing then eat carbs. Your body needs them, ketosis is something you should willingly go through. It could even be an inner ear problem, the possibilities are endless.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I get the same way, but has always been this way my whole life off and on. It gets worse when I'm exercising daily. My dr did an ultrasound of heart, and arteries. Blood pressure was fine, as was sugars. He finally said to eat more salt, which I have but nothing changed. I'm drinking 60+ Oz of water a day. Dr hasn't advised anymore and I've thrown my hands up trying to figure it out.

I did find that if I bend over for a sec once feeling dizzy it goes away and I don't risk passing out.
  • Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The last time my blood pressure was measured, it was 97/56. I know that is kind of low and it was only one reading. I had also fasted beforehand. I don't have any symptoms of hypotension, though.
  • tanny684
    tanny684 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That's a healthy blood pressure. Ideal blood pressure for a young healthy adult would be between 90 and 120, systolic. Up to sort of 80 on the diastolic. It is kind of low. People think ideal blood pressure is 120/80 but it's actually 120/80 or below. In hospitals it would be an issue. We tend to have rigid escalation plans on vital signs and a systolic of 97 would flag up as low and require review. 130 is pre hypertension and 140 and above is hypertension. If you fasted before hand, and hadn't had a lot to drink, chances are it was a bit lower than usual. So you have a perfectly healthy blood pressure :)
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure is like many have mentioned, relative ... blah blah blah ...

Dizzy is a vague subjective symptom that could be caused by many things. See your doctor rather than asking for health advice on the Internet.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about it :)
    My usual blood pressure is 85/50, although I get so stressed going to the doctors that whenever they check it, it goes up to 120/80 and they think I'm perfectly normal... so I can never actually get diagnosed as having low blood pressure! Frustrating :tongue:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about it :)
    My usual blood pressure is 85/50, although I get so stressed going to the doctors that whenever they check it, it goes up to 120/80 and they think I'm perfectly normal... so I can never actually get diagnosed as having low blood pressure! Frustrating :tongue:

I have naturally low- 90/50. I haven't been "diagnosed" as such but it's all over my records (I had my BP taken a lot in hospital and they check a few times during my infusions). The lowest I have seen it was 60/40 (eeek) and highest 130/80 (which is super high for me).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Look up postural hypotension. I had that issue too. Extra salt helps. A lot. If it is quite bad and your adrenal are underproducing, some doctors will give hydroflorinef (I believe it is called) which is a corticosteroid. It's more of a last resort though.

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was on 2 different meds to control BP. When I got close to a healthy BMI, I started to experience dizziness when standing. That and my BP(taken multiple times at home) was 85/45. I talked with doc and he said to go off one. Short lived as today I take nothing.

Like everyone else has said. Check with your Doc and get regular readings.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, my dr said to sprinkle some salt on my food. Helped a lot!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    The last time my blood pressure was measured, it was 97/56. I know that is kind of low and it was only one reading. I had also fasted beforehand. I don't have any symptoms of hypotension, though.

This is almost always my blood pressure. Totally freaks out student nurses. Sometimes I think my doctor has them check mine on purpose.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Any one else start to experience low blood pressure when they began eating healthier.

Yes. I've always had low blood pressure, and it does give me symptoms. I sometimes have dizzy spells, a strange disembodied sensation, and I faint. Doctors thoroughly tested me when I was in my early 20s, and in the end simply told me to eat more salt and stay well hydrated. If that didn't work, we could go from there. So I did, and it worked.

When I cut back on processed foods, if I'm not mindful I can easily stop consuming the amount of salt I need. Then I become a fainting ghost again.

As others have said, it's smart to see your doctor about this.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Any one else start to experience low blood pressure when they began eating healthier.

Yes. I've always had low blood pressure, and it does give me symptoms. I sometimes have dizzy spells, a strange disembodied sensation, and I faint. Doctors thoroughly tested me when I was in my early 20s, and in the end simply told me to eat more salt and stay well hydrated. If that didn't work, we could go from there. So I did, and it worked.

When I cut back on processed foods, if I'm not mindful I can easily stop consuming the amount of salt I need. Then I become a fainting ghost again.

As others have said, it's smart to see your doctor about this.

About how much "extra" salt do u think you eat to stop the spells? This is what my dr said, but it hasn't helped much. As I mentioned before bending over is the only thing I've found to make it stop but nothing so far that prevents it.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have always had low readings on my BP, but recently I have noticed I get lightheaded/dizzy a little more often. The other day I took my BP it was 87/56. I have been meaning to schedule a doctors appointment as well to get it checked out. I never get dizzy during my workouts in the morning and most of the time it happens in the late afternoon which makes me think it could be due to dehydration. I put a TON of salt on everything and I feel like I am constantly drinking fluids so who knows!