So, thanksgiving.

Options
2»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Go for a nice long walk or run in the morning and enjoy yourself. More turkey and green beans -- less mashed stuff and casseroles with marshmallows. And save room for s small slice of pie!
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Just practice moderation and enjoy the day. Don't stress it to much. I'm probably going to eat about 5 Hawaiian buns and a tiny but of turkey because those buns are my weakness.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,016 Member
    Options
    Last year I logged my coffee in the morning but that was it. I tried to eat reasonable portions. This year I will probably log but it will be mostly guessing. Just try to put reasonable portions on your plate and not worry about it too much. Odds are you aren't going to eat 3500 calories over maintenance and even if you do that won't undo all of your progress. Unless you have only lost 1 pound so far.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to maneuver thanksgiving dinner. I'm having it with my family, and they're 100% anti-diet and anti-calorie counting. No way to track cals- I don't want to have to fake a stomach ache, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative. Wish me luck! :)

It's one day.
    If you've been consistently moving toward your goals, one day with your family won't crush it.
    Enjoy some pie!
    Eat all the turkey!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    Don't make a big deal about being on a diet so you don't get into an argument about it. Just take moderate portions of the foods that you most want to enjoy, skip the ones you really don't care about, and stop eating before you feel stuffed.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    one day. one meal. not a big deal.

Awesome, and extra credit for rhyming.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Getting a little annoyed with these posts. Your a grown adult if you cant handle yourself with the excuse of "holidays" then don't....nothing ayone here can say is gonna make a dfference youve already clearly decided to binge to the point its an issue to not count calories and want us to tell you its okay...

Again, grown *kitten* adult. Do whatever you wanna do. Basic common sense you already know everything thats gona be said here XD You just wanted the "its the holidays, Go ahead and binge!" posts lol
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat turkey breast, green beans, salad, and a plain potato or piece of bread. You don't have to eat the pies, stuffing, fatty salads and all the crap.
  • savanaburen
    savanaburen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Getting a little annoyed with these posts. Your a grown adult if you cant handle yourself with the excuse of "holidays" then don't....nothing ayone here can say is gonna make a dfference youve already clearly decided to binge to the point its an issue to not count calories and want us to tell you its okay...

Again, grown *kitten* adult. Do whatever you wanna do. Basic common sense you already know everything thats gona be said here XD You just wanted the "its the holidays, Go ahead and binge!" posts lol
    Oh no. You caught me.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    The foods your family are serving can't be all that exotic. Can you guesstimate? Say, look up homemade stuffing and choose the highest count or at least one on the higher end. If something specific is added, guesstimate that - enter green beans as near as you can figure the amount you take, add a tablespoon of butter if they're dripping in it, add a slice and a half of bacon if there are a lot of bacon crumbles in your beans, etc. You can wind up way off this way, sure, but perhaps not as much as if you just don't count and figure "I can't have eaten THAT much." You know?

Just do your best and...it is after all only one day. :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanksgiving is about food....take the time to educate your family on proper eating and calorie counting, lecture them on proper nutrition and....hah totally kidding, just skip logging for one day not going to really hurt you.

As far as keeping things in check just control your portions but not to the degree where you make other people uncomfortable. Let one day go just to spend with your family and give thanks. Weight loss takes time, one day of not counting is not going to make that much difference in the long run. Load up your plate once, take time eating, don't go for seconds, skip the pre-meal grazing that often happens with appetizers...all that will make the total calories somewhat reasonable anyways. Don't bother logging it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    one day. one meal. not a big deal.

Yes to the bolded...typically the Thanksgiving feast is my only meal for the day...we tend to eat around 2 or 3 and appetizers are out around noon...so basically I'll have a few of those to tide me over and then it's feast time...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I mean if you really want to limit calories just load up on turkey, pile your plate with it...even without holding back you would probably find it difficult to go way over calories eating something like relatively lean meat.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Use one plate. The pile of food on it, measured in altitude, can be taken as a guide. If it's one knuckle high, you're good for staying under your calories. If it's 2 knuckles high, you're at maintenance for the day.

Trust me, because I just made that up.

The funniest part? It's probably more accurate than some of the serious advice I've seen on these forums.