Meditation and weight loss

Options
I've started and stopped with fitness and dieting many times in the past. This time around I have had the most success and attribute that to meditating daily. It seems to have a major impact on my impulse control. I have noticed lots of benefits from meditating but the link between that practice and diet success is the most interesting. Anyone else ever experience this or have any thoughts on the matter?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't meditate but I do believe in the mind body connection. In fact one of my mantras is "make up your mind and your body follows", saying this has helped me understand I'm in control of my eating not the other way around.

I understand meditation for some helps with stress and anxiety which are 2 big reasons people turn to food to help alleviate.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use it to help me realize if I'm truly hungry or just bored/tired/stressed. I find it helpful in that regard.
  • krwjohnson
    krwjohnson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It gives me a lot of clarity. It lets me focus on the bigger goals I have. It has also decreased my cravings for junk food. It's like being mindful makes me realize that junk food isn't what I really want or need.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    krwjohnson wrote: »
    It gives me a lot of clarity. It lets me focus on the bigger goals I have. It has also decreased my cravings for junk food. It's like being mindful makes me realize that junk food isn't what I really want or need.

Completely agree! Same for me as well. Just slowing down your mind and your breathing for a set amount of time each day helps me in all aspects of my life. Good for you OP for discovering this and learning to use it correctly!
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I find meditation causes me to focus better on my work and deal with my anxieties. I haven't gotten to the point that its helped me with overeating but I hope it will someday.
  • cottonanddust
    cottonanddust Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Can we get a good definition of meditation here?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Can we get a good definition of meditation here?

I don't think there is one. It isn't science. It could mean everything from a simple relaxation to some, I imagine, mantra chanting.
    It doesn't really matter what exactly it is. Just time you spend in a relaxed or concentrated or mindful way that makes you feel less stressful.
    Anything could qualify really. Even a bath.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    There are several...

Mindfulness - Breath and Body awareness - can be seated, standing, sitting
    Zen - Observe breath and thoughts - usually seated
    Transendental - repeated mantra usually given to you by a teacher, usually seated

These are the ones I'm aware of.

• cottonanddust
    cottonanddust Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • krwjohnson
    Options
    Being present. I achieve it by sitting with my eyes closed and focusing on my breath.

"We could say that meditation doesn't have a reason or doesn't have a purpose. In this respect it's unlike almost all other things we do except perhaps making music and dancing. When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point. And exactly the same thing is true in meditation. Meditation is the discovery that the point of life is always arrived at in the immediate moment." - Alan Watts
  • owaisha
    owaisha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Plz let me know how can I reduce my belly fats
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    How many calories does it burn?
  • krwjohnson
    Options
    How many calories does it burn?

Ha ha
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Mindfulness meditation - has helped me greatly in terms of my relationship with food. It's also helped me with stress reduction. It's not the reason I've been able to lose weight, but it's an enjoyable and useful addition in some aspects (binging, handling cravings, slowing down and enjoying the food I'm actually eating).

I've also recently started practicing yoga, and I find that I like it for many of the same reasons. It's refreshing to focus only on your body and breath and not let the past and future weigh on you.