Chronic undereating

Options
Hey guys,
Basically i have spiralled into a pattern of eating between 800 to 1200 calories a day. I am 5ft 1in and have lost 2st 10lbs so now weigh 7st exactly, bmi 18.9.
I always feel awful (constantly freezing, dry sore mouth, buzzing ears, blurred vision, bruises, weakness, bones hurt when they touch e.g. knees ) and i think it is down to not eating enough everyday.
Does anyone know how much i need to eat to maintain weight but reduce these side effects? Sick of feeling rubbish. I am trying to up my intake and managed 1142 yesterday

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    See a doctor!
    But it sounds like you have starved your body for too long.
    At 5ft 1" and sedentary your maintenance will be around 1350. Of course if you are active that number will be higher.
  • micropreemiemum
    micropreemiemum Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I havent done it on purpose its just a normal ammount to eat for me, i used to eat 500 max a day but found i lost quicker eating more...
    I find i really have to work at eating to eat above 1000... i do have meals out when i eat over but these are rare
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat more in volume necessarily, just higher calorie foods. Full fat dairy, add oils to salads and vegetables, less lean cuts of meat, avocados and nuts and nut butters...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I havent done it on purpose its just a normal ammount to eat for me, i used to eat 500 max a day but found i lost quicker eating more...
    I find i really have to work at eating to eat above 1000... i do have meals out when i eat over but these are rare

if its a 'normal' amount for you to eat, how did you ever get to the point of needing to lose weight?
  • micropreemiemum
    Options
    I was 9st 10lbs after having a baby and sitting in hospital with him for 5 months so i wanted to get healthy again...
    I struggle with a lot of foods as i am sort of scared of them after restricting them for so long... meat, white bread, potatoes, white pasta/rice, cake, cream, butter, sauces, crackers etc
  • micropreemiemum
    Options
    Okay thank you, i was worried as i had read that i need 3000 calories a day because i have starved myself for so so long and i have all those symptoms plus ammnorhea!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you, i was worried as i had read that i need 3000 calories a day because i have starved myself for so so long and i have all those symptoms plus ammnorhea!

Wait until you start to lose hair, teeth and bone density. It is awful to live with on a day to basis.

3000 calories is an amount a lot of ED teams will prescribe people but it isn't an amount that everyone should have.

@TavistockToad is right, speak to your Doctor ASAP

Good luck, I hope you can build a healthy relationship with food for yourself and your child.
  • micropreemiemum
    Options
    So would my eating not be considered disorder then?
    My son is perfectly healthy
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    So would my eating not be considered disorder then?
    My son is perfectly healthy

I don't know, that is up to a Doctor to diagnose.

Your son will learn from you. If you are eating very little in the way of fresh food, low on protein and eating below your tdee then that is not going to give him a healthy relationship with food.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I was 9st 10lbs after having a baby and sitting in hospital with him for 5 months so i wanted to get healthy again...
    I struggle with a lot of foods as i am sort of scared of them after restricting them for so long... meat, white bread, potatoes, white pasta/rice, cake, cream, butter, sauces, crackers etc

being 'scared' of food is pretty disordered.

you are in no way healthy at the moment, that needs addressing.
  • micropreemiemum
    Options
    We eat lots of vegetables, fish, eggs and vegetarian foods so not low in any of that :)
  • micropreemiemum
    Options
    Thank you, i am adding tiny extras on each day so i dont overwhelm myself and panic (did this on saturday night! Disaster!)
    I know it is bad and affects my life so much which is why i asked for advice i dont want to jump high then gain lots as i know i will panic. This sucks, counting calories sucks, being ill sucks, having no social life sucks, over exercising sucks...but its not that easy to just flick the switch and change
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thank you, i am adding tiny extras on each day so i dont overwhelm myself and panic (did this on saturday night! Disaster!)
    I know it is bad and affects my life so much which is why i asked for advice i dont want to jump high then gain lots as i know i will panic. This sucks, counting calories sucks, being ill sucks, having no social life sucks, over exercising sucks...but its not that easy to just flick the switch and change

which is why we have suggested getting some help to stop you feeling like that
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories to maintenance and see a doctor/health professional/therapist asap.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

I've bolded where I think your problem is. It's not with your parenting, or with your choice of food even..it's with your thinking. This is why we're suggesting you see a doctor, get a handle on the thinking. Eating food should never cause one to feel panic, unless they've eaten something they are allergic to. Panic is a sign of distress, you shouldn't be distressed about eating, as it's something you'll be doing for the rest of your life, every single day. Please get help with the thinking, I think you can be very successful if you do xo
  • micropreemiemum
    Options
    Oh thank you for that lovely, i will act on your advice xxx
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    You just made my day, good to hear! xo