Increasing steps

Options
Hey guys!
I am a stay at home mum to a special needs toddler and can only leave the house a few times a week in winter as my son is extremely vulnerable to illness and will end up in hospital if he catches anything. My partner is a farmer so out of the house all day and cant watch the child for me.
Does anyone have any tips on doing more steps? I do workout 30-90 minutes per day (fitnessblender) which are not counted in my step count as i use my phone for both pedometer and youtube. If i dont pace around the room then i only do around 2000 steps a day! Im going crazy walking around he room for hours to get more steps in lol!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I am a stay at home mum to a special needs toddler and can only leave the house a few times a week in winter as my son is extremely vulnerable to illness and will end up in hospital if he catches anything. My partner is a farmer so out of the house all day and cant watch the child for me.
    Does anyone have any tips on doing more steps? I do workout 30-90 minutes per day (fitnessblender) which are not counted in my step count as i use my phone for both pedometer and youtube. If i dont pace around the room then i only do around 2000 steps a day! Im going crazy walking around he room for hours to get more steps in lol!

you're under eating at a dangerous level and you think being more active will help?!
  • micropreemiemum
    micropreemiemum Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think walking is good for anyone!!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Walking is great for health. Eating is vital for life. Don't undereat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

burning even more calories when you're not eating enough to maintain your bodily functions is not good for anyone....
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Walking is good for anyone as long as they have the correct fuel to do power the walking. As TravistockToad said, you do seem to be undereating in a dangerous way, this is not good for your body and tbh with only that amount of food I'd recommend you stop working out altogether before your body stops functioning properly.

For health, up your calories to whatever MFP recommends, and if you want to walk more, get a treadmill and eat some of your exercise calories back too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of 'walk at home' workouts on youtube - search for Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith to name a few.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here are the CDC guidelines. if you're exercising steps don't matter. dont fall for the 10000 steps a day myth, it doesn't do much for you with out throwing some exercise in there https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm