First time troubles!

Options
Hi! I've been using this for just over a week now and have been doing really good documenting everything I eat.. no cheating!! I have been taking it one day at a time, eating under 1500 calories a day.
Only problem is I find myself craving junk food. Especially chips, candy, pasta, bread and cheese!! I haven't broke yet and ate any but I don't know how much longer I can last! How do you guys curb your cravings!???

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If it's in the house, you'll surely eat it at some time.
    How much are you trying to lose and do you usually find yourself craving at night? Or around 3 in the afternoon?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I eat everything, Just find healthier versions where possible (or passable) And make a priority of yours healthy eating, With a side of snacks. Just dont let yourself fall into the "I earned this snack" category, Kind of unhealthy to see bad foods as rewards especially when so new to the healthier eating. A little is fine, As long as your honest with self about what you eat when. Also i find it definatly helps to prioritize. If im craving reese pb cups, I eat a reese pb cup, Sometimes substitutes just arent worth it XD Don't just eat it because its there. Eat it because you want it so bad your willing to walk your butt to the store to buy it, And havent treated yourself in a few days XD
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Bread and cheese are not "junk food".

Figure out what your cravings are really asking for. For me, a craving for salt is often my body's way of saying "give me protein". So, some cheese or deli turkey or tuna or scrambled eggs satisfies most potato chip cravings (as bizarre as that sounds).

And many women crave chocolate when their bodies are low on magnesium. So, if I get chocolate cravings, I just eat a small amount of dark chocolate.

Finally, portion control is key. Even foods very low in nutrients can be worked into a diet in sufficiently small portions.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    When I get a craving for something I eat it. As long as it's not an entire pan, box, or bag I can usually fit it into my day. I had a craving for a grilled chicken sandwich today, so I swung by McDonald's and got one. It was delicious.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    When I get a craving for something I eat it. As long as it's not an entire pan, box, or bag I can usually fit it into my day. I had a craving for a grilled chicken sandwich today, so I swung by McDonald's and got one. It was delicious.

Now i want a midnight grilled chicken sandwich....sigh XD
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Pasta, bread and cheese aren't junk food. Any reason why you're cutting them out?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Before joining MFP, I rarely ate bread.

After joining MFP, I started craving bread.

Since joining MFP, I eat at least one slice of bread each day. :)

I also eat pasta and cheese.

As for chips and candy ... I've never liked candy all that much and after I had been with MFP a while, chips taste way too salty for me. I did want something salty, however, so I eat cucumber slices with salt or pickles now.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yeah ill be first to say i didnt even bother reading past chips and candy...Nothing wrong with pasta and bread XD Anything in moderation aslong as your honest to self :p Like pasts coated in a horribly oily fatty sauce...probably stupid to tell self thats a healthy addition to your diet. Or bread with marshmallow fluff...etc. Nothing is wrong with those foods as a food, But can get tricky depending on what you do with them super easy.

And fyi, I keep a baggie of jolly ranchers and scotch mints in my coat at all times ;D Not that bad calorie wise and its me emergency go to snack when i get light headed or dizzy, Or crave sweet XD
  • erinkavanagh15
    erinkavanagh15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose and do you usually find yourself craving at night? Or around 3 in the afternoon?

I'm trying to lose around 40 pounds. And I find myself craving them when I'm bored and at night
  • erinkavanagh15
    Options
    Thank you everyone else for your insight!!! It is so helpful
  • erinkavanagh15
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Pasta, bread and cheese aren't junk food. Any reason why you're cutting them out?

I'm cutting them out because I eat a lot of them! So I guess I'm just trying to cut back on them is a better way of saying it..
  • BertramG
    BertramG Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    COKE ZERO alot of it
  • BertramG
    BertramG Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also i get 200 calories a night of junk (ie two fun size candy bars)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I'm trying to lose around 40 pounds. And I find myself craving them when I'm bored and at night

This is normal.
    What low calorie, high satiating food can you replace the "junk" with?
    Almonds?
    Greek yogurt?
    Grapes?
    Apples?
    Celery with a little hummus?

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

I'm cutting them out because I eat a lot of them! So I guess I'm just trying to cut back on them is a better way of saying it..

Spot on. Eat what you want but in a portion size that fits your calorie goal!
  • creatrixbeatrix
    creatrixbeatrix Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make room for treats in my diet by choosing super healthy foods for the rest of the day - lean meats and leafy vegetables leave a lot of room for more calorie-dense foods like cheese and chocolate. I look at it like a puzzle or a math problem and play with the numbers. Also Bolthouse Farms Chocolate Protein Smoothie is very tasty, about 100 calories for 1/2 cup, and full of protein and vitamins. That usually handles my chocolate cravings.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    leave space in your calorie allotment for an evening treat - I quite regularly have those treat/fun size chocolates, only 99cals for 28g of malteasers
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its totally normal to crave the foods you are used to eating, it will take time for you to adjust to different tastes.
    It takes us a few weeks getting into the swing of counting calories and eating better so stick with it, you'll be glad you did.
  • jacksonkris8
    jacksonkris8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If i really want to eat something that's not healthy.. i eat only the serving size and i elininate something from my day to balance. For instance if i was going to enjoy a sandwich with chips for lunch (on actual bread)... i would have a protein shake for dinner and an apple and peanut butter for my snack. Sometimes i push it to the next day.. if there's nothing to eliminate that day- i will take it from the next. I have found for myself it's easier to maintain a weekly average once you know how your diet works for you.
    Portion control is everything.