HCLF Vegan diet tips

Options
Anybody here on a hclf vegan diet and has some tips. I could share some tips / recipes as well :)

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Don't eat meat or anything derived from an animal. That's all i got.
  • rprr
    rprr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on an HCLF diet as well. Not planned but this is how it turns out if you are a vegan.

My staples:
    Starches -- Oats primarily, but also rice and whole wheat pasta occasionally
    Quinoa
    Whole grain bread, and whole grain tortilla (preferably sprouted)
    Cans of beans (garbanzo, black beans)
    Bananas
    Frozen Berries
    Other fruits such as papayas (I live in Hawaii!!), oranges, apples
    Leafy veggies -- primary spinach as I love it
    Starchy Veggies -- potatoes both regular and sweet
    Cruciferous veggies -- Cauliflower, broccoli
    Non starchy veggies -- bell peppers (green and colored), carrots, cucumbers, + seasonal
    Condiments -- Salsa, Sriracha, Ketchup, Mustard, Vegan mayo
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rprr wrote: »
    I am on an HCLF diet as well. Not planned but this is how it turns out if you are a vegan.

My staples:
    Quinoa
    Bananas
    Frozen Berries
    Non starchy veggies -- bell peppers (green and colored), carrots, cucumbers, + seasonal

No, vegans don't *have* to eat HCLF, although many do. Some vegans, like myself, eat diets higher in fat (I find I feel best physically when I eat a diet that is higher in fat). Some vegans even do keto. I know vegans who eat lower carbohydrate diets. There are all kinds of ways to eat as a vegan, although it is true that most of us eat moderate-to-high carbohydrates.
  • rprr
    Options
    @ janejellyroll -- You are indeed correct. I was generalizing (probably too much).

• chubbycollegevegan
    Options

My staples:
    Quinoa
    Bananas
    Frozen Berries

Awesome thank you! When I started going vegan I actually ate a lot of "replacement foods" like vegan cheese or vegan burgers and so on but I really need to start watching what exactly I put in my body.
  • rprr
    Options

Awesome thank you! When I started going vegan I actually ate a lot of "replacement foods" like vegan cheese or vegan burgers and so on but I really need to start watching what exactly I put in my body.

You are welcome.

Since you are in college, it can be more difficult to eat well and watch what you eat especially if you are in a dorm without kitchen access. Just do your best. Try to keep things simple.

Regarding replacements such as burgers and cheese: I might occasionally eat a veggie burger, especially if I go out to eat. I absolutely do not eat vegan cheese. Cheese was one of things that I thought would be difficult for me to give up, but surprisingly I don't miss it at all.

Also depends on what your goals are. If weight loss, then one of the Youtube videos based on HCLF that I liked is

How to Lose Weight - Vegan HCLF

The video is about 20 mins long and Jeff Nelson explains things quite well.
  • chubbycollegevegan
    Options

You are welcome.

Since you are in college, it can be more difficult to eat well and watch what you eat especially if you are in a dorm without kitchen access. Just do your best. Try to keep things simple.

Regarding replacements such as burgers and cheese: I might occasionally eat a veggie burger, especially if I go out to eat. I absolutely do not eat vegan cheese. Cheese was one of things that I thought would be difficult for me to give up, but surprisingly I don't miss it at all.

Also depends on what your goals are. If weight loss, then one of the Youtube videos based on HCLF that I liked is

How to Lose Weight - Vegan HCLF

The video is about 20 mins long and Jeff Nelson explains things quite well.

Thank you I'm gonna watch it. And yes that is exactly the case. I live in a dorm with one tiny kitchen for the entire floor... The only time I can actually cook is when I'm at my parent's place.

• rprr
    Options
    Are you allowed to have a mini fridge and a microwave? That can allow lots more freedom and flexibility. Do you go often to your parent's like every weekend or so?
  • chubbycollegevegan
    Options
    Are you allowed to have a mini fridge and a microwave? That can allow lots more freedom and flexibility. Do you go often to your parent's like every weekend or so?
    I have a fridge on my own but I am not allowed to a have a microwave in my room. There is just the one that I have to share with the entire floor. Yea I visit my parents every two weeks or something.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    For dinners you should get yourself a mini rice cooker with a steamer basket. I got mine for $20 at Canadian tire. I use it everyday! Just put your rice in and whatever veggies you want on top, and its done in 15 mins. I usually wrap it all in seaweed because sushi is delicious!