Just getting started

Options
Hello all :)

I'm not sure what to put here ... I need to increase my fitness.

I'm over 50 now. I used to be into aerobics and for a short while bodybuilding when I was younger (I didn't really like the muscle look on myself, and I built it quickly - I'm very short too.) Life happened and all kinds of things, I ended up being overweight but not terribly un-fit. For several years built and ran a small hobby farm and that kind of work keeps you pretty active, and the fresh air and homegrown food was good. Then we sold the farm, moved into a hotel for a few months, and I got sick and was in bed for several months. While I didn't gain weight, my strength was gone and my clothes got tighter. A few more years of life, and I got my thyroid under control, started exercising more, and was diagnosed with cancer. Surgeries, treatment, and radiation have left me pretty weak and fatigued, down about 20 pounds but still not in good shape at all. I am under regular care of a physician and apparently all the typical measures look great except a severe vitamin D deficiency, which we are working on, and the need to stay on thyroid meds, which she is tweaking and has in good range.

The guidelines I have for exercise involve heart rate. Because of fatigue and tricky knee issues (getting an x-ray in a few weeks) I use a treadmill. I started at 15 minutes, then discovered I hit my target heart rate at much lower speeds, so I'm at 20 minutes a day lower speed. I am surprised how quickly exercise affects heart rate - in just a few days it takes MORE speed to build it high enough, but it levels off quicker quicker too. Just interesting trends. Since it's all I have, and I know nothing about it, that's what I'm watching.

Within a week I hope to be up to 30 minutes a day within the target range, which is what my doctor wanted. I'm supposed to do 5 days a week, but it's not that taxing (so far) so unless there's a good reason I may shoot for more frequency.

Diet is harder to control. It's not the discipline - I'm fairly used to that. But getting the high levels of protein I still need and being hit with fatigue later in the day - I don't feel like cooking. If I don't have better options, I sometimes resort to frozen meals, yogurt and cereal, or snack foods (usually crackers and cheese or hummus, applesauce, or nuts). And if my husband suggests pizza or Chik-fil-a, I won't argue. Whatever is easy. So I think planning is going to be necessary. I'm still falling short on protein.

I'm sure y'all didn't want my life story. But basically, vitamin D and exercise are the only two factors of any importance that I can modify that might have an impact on whether the cancer comes back - so I want to do that.

And if it's possible to cut down this belly I've developed over the past few years and the flab that my arms have dissolved into in the last 6 months, I'm all for that too.

Replies

• kaliygeia
    kaliygeia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Right, well then. Maybe too long a post. Apparently they can't be edited or deleted, maybe a time limit. Thanks anyway. :)
  • Zephrine
    Zephrine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi kaliygeia. I don't think your post was too long. There's just so much happening here, it's easy for stuff to slip past. I don't really look much on the messageboards because I can't keep up!
    Sorry to hear about your health issues, but good on you for keeping on, and having determination.
    I'm in my 40's, and concentrating on losing weight. I know I need to exercise too, since I'm pretty much a sloth lol, but for now I am just working on the eating issues. I was doing C25K about a year or so ago, but ended up injuring myself and having to see an osteo, and then never got back into it. I have this worry at the back of my mind that I will hurt myself again, and don't want to go through more pain. Swimming is out because I don't want to be seen in a swimsuit ;)
    Maybe I need to take a leaf out of your book, and just start slow, a little bit at a time :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good way to start getting more fit. Can you walk outdoors as well? Being in nature can be very healing, plus you can get some Vit. D naturally. You should be able to begin doing light weights as well, which will help rebuild your muscles. A stationary bike might be good, as it puts less stress on the knees.
  • kaliygeia
    Options
    Thanks to you both. :)

Normally I swim but too cold now. I'd like to walk outside, and I might, since the treadmill went all crazy yesterday and kept speeding up. My knee is acting up from yesterday's treadmill, maybe because it went too fast. I'm getting it x-rayed in a couple of weeks to see what's up. I don't want long-term problems so might take it easy. I'd like to get started with weights again - I always enjoyed working out. My last doc wouldn't ok it but hopefully I am able now.

My immune system is shot too with cancer treatments. Woke up not only with knee pain but sore throat and congestion - just got really over the flu two days ago. So since I'm supposed to take a rest day 2 out of 7, and I've done the last 5, I took today for rest.

I think my body just wants me to lay in bed, but I get sore and stiff if I do, I hate having so many issues. Taking extra vitamin C along with the rest right now, and made sure to get my protein today. Lotsa chicken.

Thanks again.
  • kaliygeia
    Options
    Ugh. Still pain in my knee today. I'm to take two rest days out of seven, and for the sake of injury I must. I may see about keeping my x-ray appointment tomorrow (it's walk in) if they're open, though I don't know if I can see my doc any sooner. But getting an x-ray while its at its (so far) worst might be informative.

Happy Thanksgiving all, if you celebrate.