Should I eat back my exercised calories?

Options
Quick question: is it better to eat back the exercised calories, or keep them in the deficit? For example, my caloric goal is 1200, I am planning to eat 1050 calories today, and burn 574. That only leaves me with a net of 476...

Replies

• pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the forum and originally thought it was a little bit rude of that person who had a mini-rant on people asking this question; however, I'm beginning to understand the frustration. Having looked at this site these past couple days, I would be surprised if you could go two pages in a row without seeing this question being asked.

Please look through other threads. You will find many of your answers; and likely a dozen more asking this very question.
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm really not an expert, and I'm just getting started at this, but what you described doesn't sound sustainable. If you don't eat enough calories you'll start messing up your metabolism, and that will make it harder to lose in the long run. You should at least be eating your 1200 calories. I've been eating back some of the exercise calories -- maybe half? -- and so far it's working for me (but I've only been at this for 2 weeks)
  • celesteadams1119
    celesteadams1119 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm really not an expert, and I'm just getting started at this, but what you described doesn't sound sustainable. If you don't eat enough calories you'll start messing up your metabolism, and that will make it harder to lose in the long run. You should at least be eating your 1200 calories. I've been eating back some of the exercise calories -- maybe half? -- and so far it's working for me (but I've only been at this for 2 weeks)

Thank you!