Some say 100-130g for 180 lb man some say over 200 or 30-40% of caloric intake
What research have you guys found?
Any speculation on the side effects?

What is the absorption rate per meal ive heard the max is around 30g

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    have you tried using MFP goals to set it up?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What is the right amount of protein?
    Under what circumstances for your example 180lb man? Losing, gaining or maintaining their weight? Strenuous exercise or not? Active or inactive lifestyle? Lean or fat?
    Context makes a difference to dosage. A fat sedentary man at maintenance calories is going to have very different needs to a same weight already lean man training hard in a cut for example.

You might like to read this - http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-20

What is the absorption rate per meal ive heard the max is around 30g
    Don't confuse (assumed) absorption rates with the amount your body can use from a meal - "excess" is stored until required.
    Worth a read.... https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/

Pretty much. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve, your current lean state, your training, and what energy state you are in.

Here is more good research on protein as well: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549

And a ton of discussion: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10334013/protein-intake-for-highly-trained-natural-weight-lifters-during-caloric-deficit/p1

For the absorption, Dr. Layne Norton has a good video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTF9YR6BU9k
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Here's a separate question... how much is too much? I find protein to be the most filling macro (combined with fiber/starch), so I tend to go high with it for that reason.

I routinely have a CBC done twice a year by my rheumy and everything's fine, so I'm assuming no harm, no foul.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Here's a separate question... how much is too much? I find protein to be the most filling macro (combined with fiber/starch), so I tend to go high with it for that reason.

I routinely have a CBC done twice a year by my rheumy and everything's fine, so I'm assuming no harm, no foul.

I've gone upward of 2.5g/lbs. LBM before, for extended periods, with no adverse effects. YMMV, but it's not uncommon for me to run north of 300g in a day, if I don't specifically look to avoid it. vOv
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I get around 160g most days, I just tend to gravitate toward high protein foods. I also use a peanut butter protein powder in dessert most every night.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

ymmv, but when i was getting those regular blood draws, it was fairly narrow and directed only towards making sure i wasn't developing the side effects associated with my particular meds. when my hemoglobin took a sudden spectacular dive on one check, my rheumatologist didn't even notice since my overall health isn't her zone of concern. my gp was the one who picked up on it and called me - and only because she happened to still be on a 'send copy to' list that i'd never bothered to change.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

ymmv, but when i was getting those regular blood draws, it was fairly narrow and directed only towards making sure i wasn't developing the side effects associated with my particular meds. when my hemoglobin took a sudden spectacular dive on one check, my rheumatologist didn't even notice since my overall health isn't her zone of concern. my gp was the one who picked up on it and called me - and only because she happened to still be on a 'send copy to' list that i'd never bothered to change.

My rheumy looked at everything. She noticed my low blood sodium on my last run of tests and mentioned bringing it up with my family doctor (I get that on and off from one of my migraine meds and my doctor already knows), so I'm not too worried about her not mentioning a lab value out of range.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    My rheumy looked at everything. She noticed my low blood sodium on my last run of tests and mentioned bringing it up with my family doctor (I get that on and off from one of my migraine meds and my doctor already knows), so I'm not too worried about her not mentioning a lab value out of range.

\o/

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Anecdotally, I have consumed north of 300g protein for long periods of time (16 weeks), multiple times in the past few years and have not had any medical implications from it.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    The two most popular equations I've read on sports related forums are either 1.2-1.5g per pound of lean body mass, or 1g per pound of body weight. For a non athlete I'd imagine this would be a lot lower.

As for harm from high protein diets: If you have a pre-existing condition (usually related to kidneys) you can absolutely screw yourself over from too much protein. So protein levels are unique. You need to, through time, find the level of protein that suits you, keeps you full, and supports your body. Unless you're a competitive athlete it doesn't matter too much as long as you're eating a well rounded diet.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Harvard Med, USDA and other respected sources suggest 10-35% of daily calories from protein.
  • MichaelKarnes
    MichaelKarnes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've read anywhere from 1 gram per lb of body weight a day (maintain lean mass) to 2.5 grams per lb of body weight. I try to eat a minimum of 1gram per lb each day because I don't want to go backwards, but I'm also not trying to bulk because performance is important to me.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Harvard Med, USDA and other respected sources suggest 10-35% of daily calories from protein.

Which is stupid as hell without context, as are all percentages in relation to macro ratios.

All it means is that we can be healthy at a wide variety of protein intakes.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Which is stupid as hell without context, as are all percentages in relation to macro ratios.

All it means is that we can be healthy at a wide variety of protein intakes.

True, but it's so vague (and even wrong in some cases) as to be a completely useless suggestion. It could theoretically be used to justify 30g/day in a smaller dieter, or 400g/day in an endurance athlete.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I recently followed a nutrition course in edx from the university of Wageningen and they said this:

The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for dietary protein in most countries is 0.8 gram per kg of bodyweight per day. That amounts to 56 grams for a 70 kg adult. Isolated protein deficiency is extremely rare in adults but may be observed in infants and children in developing countries. Most people eat substantially more protein than the RDA, ranging from 10-25% of the total energy intake. Protein intakes above 20% of total energy intake can only be achieved by very high consumption of meats, eggs and/or dairy products.

There is a lot of discussion about whether athletes and especially strength athletes, including bodybuilders, would benefit from a higher protein intake. The panel responsible for formulating the dietary recommendation in the US has taken the position that healthy adults undertaking resistance or endurance exercise do not require additional dietary protein. In contrast, the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine recommend protein intakes for endurance and strength trained athletes from 1.2 to 1.7 gram per kg of bodyweight per day. These organizations have also stated that: "These recommended protein intakes can generally be met through diet alone, without the use of protein or amino acid supplements."
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I recently followed a nutrition course in edx from the university of Wageningen and they said this:

The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for dietary protein in most countries is 0.8 gram per kg of bodyweight per day. That amounts to 56 grams for a 70 kg adult. Isolated protein deficiency is extremely rare in adults but may be observed in infants and children in developing countries. Most people eat substantially more protein than the RDA, ranging from 10-25% of the total energy intake. Protein intakes above 20% of total energy intake can only be achieved by very high consumption of meats, eggs and/or dairy products.

There is a lot of discussion about whether athletes and especially strength athletes, including bodybuilders, would benefit from a higher protein intake. The panel responsible for formulating the dietary recommendation in the US has taken the position that healthy adults undertaking resistance or endurance exercise do not require additional dietary protein. In contrast, the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine recommend protein intakes for endurance and strength trained athletes from 1.2 to 1.7 gram per kg of bodyweight per day. These organizations have also stated that: "These recommended protein intakes can generally be met through diet alone, without the use of protein or amino acid supplements."

Protein shakes are food products and amino acids are not normally accounted for in daily protein intake.

Also the figure of 1.2-1.7g/kg is well below the universally accepted 0.8-1.2g/lbs of Lean body mass.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options

Protein shakes are food products and amino acids are not normally accounted for in daily protein intake.

Also the figure of 1.2-1.7g/kg is well below the universally accepted 0.8-1.2g/lbs of Lean body mass.

That is because it's for weight maintenance, which protein levels are much lower. Higher levels of protein are really only needed during weight loss to help maintain muscle.