Bod Pod Inaccurate??

Nicolemihna
Nicolemihna Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all, I have been working out 2-3 times a week with free weights. For the most part I've always dieted. I've gained a bit of weight from the days when I did TV and professional modeling. Today I did a Bod Pod for the first time, and I was totally in shock by the results. The chart said I had 31% body fat! Could this be wrong?! I know I am not super fit right now, but I do not think I look like 31% body fat. Are the ways we view body fat skewed or does it look right?? Any advice would be helpful. I am currently dieting, but only cut 250 calories a day due to my size (I usually try to do a little more if I can)

I am 5'2 and 117.6 pounds
Goal weight: 105

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj573/nicolemihna1/image_zpsvbjpqryk.jpg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj573/nicolemihna1/image_zpskmcne8cd.jpg

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    I'll be honest, that doesn't look too far off. A mistake a lot of people make (I know that before I learned, I would have made this) is mistaking smallness of size for leanness. That could be where your disconnect is coming in. Were your body fat % lower, your arms would show more muscle definition as would your abdomen, particularly on the sides. I'm not talking being bulky here, it's just areas that lean out at lower body fat % on women.

Are you doing any sort of strength training?... sorry, I missed the part where you said you were working out with weights.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    There was a study done comparing Bod Pod to Dexa scan (Dexa is most accurate). The bod pod was off by an average of 6% for people on the low end of the BMI Scale, which is about where you fall. That would put you around 25% and I would say that could be close to accurate due to having lower lean mass (very common for people who have modeled).
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Yeah, I think it's a case of low muscle mass hence higher fat %. If you look at my profile, I'm around 21% at 5'2", fair amount of muscle, 119-120lbs.
    If you like your weight but want to change your body composition I'd suggest starting a progressive lifting program.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,912 Member
    Did they use the breathing tube for you? If not, breathing in a Bod Pod will throw off the reading. No air movement is critical in this machine for an accurate reading. Even a slight movement can throw it off.
    Based on your photos, I'd say you're between 25-30%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nicolemihna
    Thanks you guys! I appreciate the feedback.
  • Nicolemihna
    Edit: they did not use a breathing tube, although I had the metabolic testing done as well which may (or may not) have been calculated in.
  • Nicolemihna
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's a case of low muscle mass hence higher fat %. If you look at my profile, I'm around 21% at 5'2", fair amount of muscle, 119-120lbs.
    If you like your weight but want to change your body composition I'd suggest starting a progressive lifting program.

You look amazing, very inspiring! If you are at 21%, then there is no doubt I could easily be 31%.