Losing weight is lonesome

Options
Does anyone else feel like committing to healthy weight loss is lonely?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like committing to healthy weight loss is lonely?

Find a community of like minded people.
    Create a group, find 40 friends, hop in and see what happens.

Hope that helps!
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be! Feel free to add me, I also have a pretty wicked group of friends in here!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nope - i have great pals on here, and losing weight doesn't stop me from being social - using IIFYM and tracking a weekly goal instead of daily is great for that!
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sometimes.

I tend to keep to myself so reaching out to share has been a new experience for me. I have found several supportive people here though.

IRL, people didnt know I had made a change until about 30 lbs were gone. No in person supports except the SO.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be lonely! Seeing what I've accomplished so far has inspired my friends and family. My brother and his family are all now starting to do things for their health and turning to me for advice. My husband is super proud of me and adopting new lifestyle changes himself. In fact, we go walking together and do more than we did before. I make plans with friends to go to classes, walks and water aerobics. I make my social time, exercise time too! It's been such a fun experience.
  • GreakGoddess
    GreakGoddess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Loosing for me is lonely for me too. My best friend. LUVS to sabotage my diet effort by constantly askung me to unhealthy restaurants....so i have to totally ignore him. I work in offices by myself....so lunch is my chance to socialize and have human interaction.....but the german restaurant is far from healthy.

But its lonely being a chunky monkey too....so something has to give.

Feel free to add me as friend. Perhaps we can message when we feel low or high
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,061 Member
    Options
    Many of my coworkers and most of the other people I associate with are active. Monday morning, when we're in the kitchen at work getting our first cups of coffee or tea, we're all talking about what we did over the weekend ... hiking, cycling, kayaking, body building comps etc. etc. etc.

That was one of the things which got me going on my weight loss. I was a very active long distance cyclist, but had kind of eased up on it a bit. So there was everyone else talking about their epic weekends, and I'm standing there going, "Yeah, I used to do that ..." and then one day I had enough of just listening to all the stories, and I started doing those things again too. :) And losing weight helped a lot ... it's much easier to cycle up hills when you're lighter.

My suggestion would be to join a cycling club or hiking club or kayaking club or the club of some other sport or a gym or take dancing lessons or something so you can associate with active people. Make it a lot less lonely when you're surrounded by like-minded people.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sometimes I'd be heading out to my fitness classes and thinking, this grind is something I have to do on my own; no one else can do for me. Granted I always interact with people in some way when I get there, but some days just feel more lonely than others. I think part of it had to do with my rain or shine come what may attendance. Like the weather could be absolutely gorgeous, or maybe snowing like crazy (but not dangerous) and I'd still attend. People who had a more well rounded activity profile might go fishing or golfing or hiking but i mainly just did the one thing (many different classes, though) for activity and exercise.
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. My husband has a very high metabolism and can eat anything (usually does) but I have to stick to a cleaner diet, which makes it more difficult. Keeping motivated to go out to yoga classes after working 12 hrs or on a day off is hard.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    I have worked on disassociate company and food. Sometimes they go together, but far from all times.

I meet up with friends for going to the movies, to an exhibition, running together, go for a walk at the sea side, etc.

We might have a bite to eat, or a coffee, but it is not the central part about being together.

In my family it's the same, we might eat differently or in different quantities, it doesn't stop us from enjoying meals and time together.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can see/understand your feelings. For me, day to day is easy since my wife watches what she eats also. The hard part to me is social environments especially around the holidays. Here I am standing around eating celery stalks while everyone else is stuffing their faces and look at me as if I'm the one with the problems. Lol.
    I survived though