Is "maintaining" gaining and losing the same 3-5 lbs?

Options
Kimblesnbits13
Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
edited November 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Sooooo I've seen many people say this and was wondering if it holds true...let's say every week wed-sat I weigh fluctuating between 127-128 then the weekend of going out to eat maybe indulge a bit and Monday I weigh anywhere between 129-131 (depending on how much I overindulge) then by wed I'm back to 127-128 (it usually takes 3 days for me to lose water weight) rinse repeat every week lol. Is this the way maintenance works for all of you? If so I'm glad I finally found my sweet spot!

Replies

• leeannek1
    leeannek1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yep, sounds exactly how mine goes! Fluctuates about 2-3lbs.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Sure is
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I personally consider staying within a range of 55-58 kilos (difference of 6.6 pounds) as "maintenance".
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think it's reasonable to expect some fluctuation, and some need to focus on remain at happy weight.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    yes! well done
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yep
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yes basically.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've got a 5 pound range and I often lose and gain it frequently and still manage overall the long haul to maintain. I reached my goal weight long ago and now focus on recomp, getting stronger and being able to do a chin up/pull up ... my upper body strength is slow going. Workouts make me retain water and become inflammed so it takes up to a week to lose the water weight and as someone else said, rinse and repeat, over and over!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Don't look at is as gaining and losing weight, look at it as fluctuations in hydration, water retention and food in your system.

It sounds like maintenance to me.

I agree with this. I eat higher sodium foods and treats during the weekend and always gain a little water weight.

I will lose it during the week, then repeat the next weekend. So I don't gain or lose. It's just mainly water since I don't go over my maintenance cals for the week.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yep, exactly.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    That is exactly how it's working for me. Exactly. Between Mon-Thurs I drop 2.5 - 3 pounds then pick it up again every Fri-Sun. Mostly from higher sodium foods (and maybe some wine).
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is maintaining.

For example, 1 liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds, so if you haven't gone to the bathroom, think of all that urine sitting in your bladder. I weighed myself at 145, went to the bathroom, and then I was 143. Great job by the way!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I almost chuckled when I read OP's post this - yes, it is (darn it) sooooo true! Except I slipped and now am up more than 2 or 3 pounds so I am back on a deficit until that is corrected.

(Edited because typing is hard, lol.)
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes as well.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I weighed 2 pounds less this morning after overindulging yesterday. I think that's why it's important for me to keep track daily
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say yes. That's what I'm realizing is happening to me, and I am OK with it as long as I am consistently within the range (around 4lbs).