Is "maintaining" gaining and losing the same 3-5 lbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    Sooooo I've seen many people say this and was wondering if it holds true...let's say every week wed-sat I weigh fluctuating between 127-128 then the weekend of going out to eat maybe indulge a bit and Monday I weigh anywhere between 129-131 (depending on how much I overindulge) then by wed I'm back to 127-128 (it usually takes 3 days for me to lose water weight) rinse repeat every week lol. Is this the way maintenance works for all of you? If so I'm glad I finally found my sweet spot!

Yeah, that's about what happens to me ... more or less.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Sooooo I've seen many people say this and was wondering if it holds true...let's say every week wed-sat I weigh fluctuating between 127-128 then the weekend of going out to eat maybe indulge a bit and Monday I weigh anywhere between 129-131 (depending on how much I overindulge) then by wed I'm back to 127-128 (it usually takes 3 days for me to lose water weight) rinse repeat every week lol. Is this the way maintenance works for all of you? If so I'm glad I finally found my sweet spot!

Yes. This is how it works for me. I will fluctuate within about 4 pounds. It takes about 3 days to get back to equilibrium and lose water weight for me as well.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options

YES you found your sweet spot!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Well gee willickers it looks like I've been maintaining over the last few months. Just a shame that it wasn't intentional :flushed:
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what I officially weigh anymore. I somehow weighed 159.6 as of this morning when I usually hover around 161 or even 163 the day after thanksgiving. I'll probably weigh 161 tomorrow.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    I don't even know what I officially weigh anymore. I somehow weighed 159.6 as of this morning when I usually hover around 161 or even 163 the day after thanksgiving. I'll probably weigh 161 tomorrow.

I'd go right in the middle, and say you weigh 160 :smile:
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »

I'd go right in the middle, and say you weigh 160 :smile:

I like nice even numbers.
  • karinabree
    karinabree Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's the story of my life
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I don't like this fluctuation stuff. Have to keep weighing everyday to remind myself it is just that FLUCTUATION STUFF! Grrrr. Up down up down up down. Grrr.
    lol
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    I don't like this fluctuation stuff. Have to keep weighing everyday to remind myself it is just that FLUCTUATION STUFF! Grrrr. Up down up down up down. Grrr.
    lol

I hate fluctuations also. Ugh. It is usually within the same 3 or 4 pound range. I've learned to ignore anything within that normal daily fluctuation range during maintenance.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 pound range that I consider my 'zone'. If I'm in there I'm maintaining.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I hate fluctuating. Hate it. Some people think 3-5 is maintaining, but if you lost 20 pounds total (like me), that's up to 25% creep. It doesn't make me happy.

I've determined that I permanently have to be in "lose 1/2 pound" mode and track in order to maintain.

I'm not good with budgets intuitively.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    I hate fluctuating. Hate it. Some people think 3-5 is maintaining, but if you lost 20 pounds total (like me), that's up to 25% creep. It doesn't make me happy.

I've determined that I permanently have to be in "lose 1/2 pound" mode and track in order to maintain.

Same for me! I'm down 19 total, and I'm keeping myself in the "lose 1/2 lb" also so that if I go over by a little I don't have to worry. For me I think it's a mind over matter problem... I do fluctuate up to 4 lbs depending on the day, though. I haven't found the exact reason, but I weigh every day to make sure that's all it is!
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options

I try to keep the fluctuations 4 pounds below maintenance. Then when weight creeps up more than 2 pounds I get busy on active weight loss to whack it back down.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    krazy1sbk wrote: »

Same for me! I'm down 19 total, and I'm keeping myself in the "lose 1/2 lb" also so that if I go over by a little I don't have to worry. For me I think it's a mind over matter problem... I do fluctuate up to 4 lbs depending on the day, though. I haven't found the exact reason, but I weigh every day to make sure that's all it is!

The reason is that glycogen gets filled into & depleted from the liver in order to have ready fuel for the body. Then when you eat carbs/sugar the glycogen stores fill back up. Water binds to glycogen 3:1 which is why there can be several pounds water woosh up or down suddenly. The body likes to have the glycogen on hand and ready to go.

• kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yep! At first I was discouraged by the fluctuations, but now I actually love seeing them, because I know that, for me, that's the sign that I'm maintaining! Congrats :)