Exercise does in fact, help with anxiety.

Options
I've been flying as a hobby now for about 15 years. A pilot friend of mine has always had an anxiety disorder since I've known him and he takes medication for it. On the ground, perfectly normal guy. No anxiety attacks that I know of. In the air he's Laser - focused. He doesn't need his meds. He's happy, productive, and like I said, focused. To my situation : When I exercise or am active physically in any way, my anxiety vanishes. When I walk, run, or ride, no meds needed. Same when I fly. For me, exercise absolutely does have a reducing effect on anxiety. Just my 2 cents for the day.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Good, I'm glad that works for you!! Yay!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Great job! I love exercising but I have some (very valid) reasons that it increases my anxiety
  • cottonanddust
    cottonanddust Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ericwhitt wrote: »
    Exercise causes anxiety for some people too... what works for one doesn't work for everyone else. Mental health is just one of those things that we'll never fully understand.

Going to the gym might do that to me, but I exercise outside in the middle of nowhere. That may cause anxiety for some too. Like I said, for me, it has been working well. And no, we'll never fully understand brain chemistry.
  • cottonanddust
    Options
    I have exercise induced anxiety/panic attacks. I have reduced it hugely by yes, exercising but it is still a trigger for me.

So different strokes and all that. No sweeping statements to be made about health and the treatment thereof really.

Was is a specific activity that did it, or the idea of exercise or the build up to it? Thank you for your honesty!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have exercise induced anxiety/panic attacks. I have reduced it hugely by yes, exercising but it is still a trigger for me.

So different strokes and all that. No sweeping statements to be made about health and the treatment thereof really.

Was is a specific activity that did it, or the idea of exercise or the build up to it? Thank you for your honesty!

I think that some people experience this as a result of a higher heart rate BPM.

I personally have had to be hospitalized after exercise because i thought i was having a stroke, but this is because I decided it might be a good idea to try JACK3D pre-workout. :lol:

turns out i was "only having an extended panic attack"
  • cottonanddust
    Options
    I really appreciate the honest answers here. Inspiring. Proud of y'all.
  • cottonanddust
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I think that some people experience this as a result of a higher heart rate BPM.

I personally have had to be hospitalized after exercise because i thought i was having a stroke, but this is because I decided it might be a good idea to try JACK3D pre-workout. :lol:

My father would drink 2 cups of coffee before his runs when I was a kid. Even as a kid I thought that would make him run too fast! Lol
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My anxiety is both a heart rate thing as well as a fear of *kitten* myself in public and/or not being near a bathroom when I need one. I do have Crohn's disease so the second anxiety is based on legitimate fear. That anxiety definitely causes me to be mostly housebound.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

That stuff is like the elixir to gains (and heart attacks).
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I had depression and anxiety induced by severe anemia and vitamin D deficiency. I also have a feeling consuming too little protein contributed to it as well. Completely gone now that I have corrected the imbalances with simple vitamin supplements & dietary changes. Don't forget to get your bloodwork done to check for deficiencies and examine your diet- SOME psychological issues are caused by actual physiological factors, which you can easily correct.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I also benefit greatly from regular exercise, both mentally & physically.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Exercise reduces anxiety and depression for some, not for others, or increases said issues. It doesn't do diddly-squat for my anxiety and depression. I just get sweaty.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Personally, exercise has had some positive effects on my anxiety (I have general and social anxiety). In my case, if I'm feeling anxious and go for a run, I'll feel better. However, if I'm at work and it hits me or am on my way to a social function, I can't exactly go for a run right then. So it works for me as a direct treatment. I've found my depression (mild) tends to be more closely related to my sleep than exercise. I've actually had a depressive episode mid-run before.

I think in general, exercise helps my mood slightly, but that's in conjunction with other coping mechanisms.

I agree that each person will have a different outcome, but it's definitely worth a shot.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder, a few other things and a bunch of anxiety tied up with each.

For me, a clean diet and regular exercise makes a massive difference in keeping things level.

It's not enough on its own though. Medication is critical.

Exercise, particular outside in nature does seem to help though. Not in an immediate kind of way. More that if I haven't been exercising as much I may notice an increase in symptoms over a couple of weeks.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Exercise really helps to lighten the mood imo, being outdoors especially.
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't have anxiety but on the days I miss my run - I am a grump. In my best mood of the day post-run!