Military diet

Options

Replies

• mutesigorg
    mutesigorg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 I was not speaking about the first few recommendations against the diet. I read and appreciated those. I received some unrelated comments as well as several unnecessarily negative inboxes all from this thread. Those who gave useful information about the diet and why it doesn't work I definitely appreciated. As I mentioned, I was skeptical about it as well. Anyways, for those who messaged me about results: after completing the diet, I lost 1.5 kg which is just a little over 3 pounds. As @alatariel75 said it was probably because of the calories (lol). Anyways it's no where near the 10 the diet boats but I was surprised regardless! I had no idea I could eat ice cream every night, not feel hungry, and lose weight. I also do pole and I wonder if not dancing would have affected my results
  • SpinCyn
    SpinCyn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ive done it a few times with results like 3-5lbs loss but it doesnt last. I switched out the ice cream for plain greek yogurt and tried to continue eating similar amounts for a few days. Not fun or worth it
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was in the military. That wasn't our diet.

To hear my grandfather talk, the military diet was a lot of SOS.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest with you, it is one of the silliest fad diets out. I really wonder if it was created as a joke.

It has no link whatsoever to the military, for a start - they gave it that name so it would appear legitimate.

The combination of foods is nothing special - they picked a bunch of whacky random foods to make it stand out and attract attention.

Will you lose weight? Sure, because you'll be eating very low calorie for a few days.

Will you keep it off? Only if you continue to watch what you eat.

It's been around for decades, it gets called a bunch of different names, but the 'plan' is the same.

Yeah, wonder how it got attached to the military, other than trying to fool people like the "Mayo Clinic" diet that has nothing to do with the prestigious medical establishment. We have RDs in the military who make sure that the diet is balanced for soldiers to get all of their nutritional requirements, and any soldier trying to lose weight during training is going to find it sucks even more than it should when you are sucking wind due to low energy levels.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Is a detox a stupid waste of money - yeah! - will it make you unhealthy - no!

Untrue! Some 'detox' diets or supplements are definitely dangerous - either because they're so low calorie, they lack basic nutrients or (in the cases of supplements) contain dangerous ingredients. Diet supplements tend to be unregulated so you have no idea what you're consuming. In the case of the 'military diet', if you did it long term you'd probably get sick. Huge lack of many nutrients.

Very true, supplements have been known to be adulterated with unlisted chemicals and may be dangerous in and of themselves (e.g. heavy metals above safe levels) or maybe allergens such as wheat, dairy, or shell fish. They are often found lacking ingredients they claim or the ingredients are listed in an order that violates labeling laws. It's really a crap shoot.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    So is this morphing into a detox thread? Awesome!

No sir - we are still on closed minds and the military not working..but does for some people / experiment thing.. :) Seems the military diet works for some but should only be used short term

Translation, mean people thread has begun.

Not fair to call me mean. I was just summing up

LOL, never said you were mean, I said the mean people portion of this thread started.