Fitbit/trackers ?

Options
I'm looking to have something on me at all times to count steps, etc. What are some recommendations for fitbits?? Are the more expensive ones worth the money?

Replies

• stephneejune
    stephneejune Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love jawbones platform but I used to have the Fitbit one and I loved it. I have the Jawbone UP2
  • D4LB
    D4LB Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Fitbit blaze I love it worth the extra!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The zip or one will count steps just fine. It just depends what info you want.
  • ItzLahLah2u
    ItzLahLah2u Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex 2, it serves my purpose! I love it
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing a blaze now for about 4 weeks. I like it, and the interface is decent too. I like the sleep tracker as well although its not completely accurate it gives me an idea as to what's going on at night.

Now that I have it I don't want to take it off. I don't think I would want a cheaper one because I like the interface and the options this one has. That being said, I have never used a different one before. The linking between MFP and Fitbit is sweet too but I assume it works the same for all of the trackers, this ones nice because it shows me steps, calories eaten (linked from MFP), calories burned as per Fitbit, reminds me every hour that I should be moving and if you want, there is a ton of cheap replacement bands and bezels for it.

• 50extra
    Options
    And I just looked, there's a sale on until Monday.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Check out the Garmins as well. Most are waterproof, and some have built-in GPS. Also looking at the forums they seem to have fewer problems than Fitbit.

A Vivoactive HR is the same price as the Blaze and is a much better device IMO.
  • 50extra
    Options
    The waterproof thing is huge. If my Blaze was waterproof it would be perfect... but its not, and that sucks.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    +1 for Garmin, all depends what you want out of it though.
    I wanted something that would accurately log heart rate and stats when cycling, but also needed to have good battery life and to be waterproof.
    Very happy with the vivoactive HR so far.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivosmart HR. The many challenges from my connections on it keep me motivated...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't like my Vivosmart HR. Too many things don't work as advertised. I've got floors, intensity and activities turned off as they don't work. I'm thinking of getting a Vivoactive as, apparently, it works better at the things I care about.
    I want HR and waterproof. Plus GPS is nice. Was going to wait until the New Year to see if Garmin does a software update that fixes things, but I see they are on sale at Best Buy, so it might be today. $199 Cdn is hard to pass up if it works.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    Amazon.com has the Vivoactive HR for $169 USD. I'm not sure what that translates to in Canada.
  • amberlriker3735
    amberlriker3735 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I knew there were different types but holy. So many to choose from. I wish I could try each of them out for a trial and pick which one works best for me. I definitely like the idea of seeing my calories and heart rate during workout - that's awesome! Especially if I'm not on a machine that displays it for me. I know sometimes these things could be pricey but not totally worth it and a cheaper one could do the exact same stuff - things like that. I'm totally serious about dropping my goal weight and need to stay motivated and on top of myself LOL. Silly as that sounds
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Amazon.com has the Vivoactive HR for $169 USD. I'm not sure what that translates to in Canada.

+27 shipping and fees. Total $196 @ 1.35 = $265. Vs $200 + 12% tax = $224.

But I see they have the TomTom spark for $142. It plays music as well. Hmmm.
  • CM_73
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I knew there were different types but holy. So many to choose from. I wish I could try each of them out for a trial and pick which one works best for me. I definitely like the idea of seeing my calories and heart rate during workout - that's awesome! Especially if I'm not on a machine that displays it for me. I know sometimes these things could be pricey but not totally worth it and a cheaper one could do the exact same stuff - things like that. I'm totally serious about dropping my goal weight and need to stay motivated and on top of myself LOL. Silly as that sounds

Nope, doesn't sound silly to me, that's exactly the reason I got mine!

The Garmin vivoactive is expensive (or is in the UK) so there may be something available now that's better for less cash.
    What swung it for me was the HR readout on the screen and being waterproof. There are also loads of apps you can use with it and you can configure it to display virtually whatever you want, but it will all boil down to whatever you want out of a tracker!
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

I've got both the VSHR and a Polar chest band. For actual exercising, the chest band is far better for showing HR and calories. Although I don't have the band sync'd to MFP, I have my Garmin configured in a screwy way to get the calories pushed through to MFP to be close to what the band says. But after 35 minutes on the treadmill, if I compare the band and the tracker, the band regularly shows a higher average HR, higher max HR and higher calories. I guess my point is I don't trust the tracker for use in a workout. It's the rest of the day that I've found the tracker useful (steps, telling me to move, resting HR) plus some info from my phone like weather and message notifications and I can control the music on my phone from the tracker.
  • CM_73
    edited November 2016
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »

I've got both the VSHR and a Polar chest band. For actual exercising, the chest band is far better for showing HR and calories. Although I don't have the band sync'd to MFP, I have my Garmin configured in a screwy way to get the calories pushed through to MFP to be close to what the band says. But after 35 minutes on the treadmill, if I compare the band and the tracker, the band regularly shows a higher average HR, higher max HR and higher calories. I guess my point is I don't trust the tracker for use in a workout. It's the rest of the day that I've found the tracker useful (steps, telling me to move, resting HR) plus some info from my phone like weather and message notifications and I can control the music on my phone from the tracker.

I think the vivoactive might be a bit better at monitoring HR. I used a chest strap which bluetoothed to my phone for a long time, the Garmin does seem to reflect pretty well the sort of data that the chest strap would generate.
    It does seem a bit slower to show the drops in HR than the chest strap, and the trace is a little bit cruder, but the maximum and mean values are spot on.
    I had to ditch it in the end as I was getting tired of the connection keep dropping and I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to collecting data!
    I'm sure that a wrist measurement can't be as good as a chest strap, but this one is close enough for what I want from it.
    This is a screen shot from this mornings ride if it's of any interest.

Screenshot_20161124-164103_zpsvjot8zvc.png
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you keep your phone on you at all times, and you have an Android-powered phone, go download Google Fit. Its free. It'll ask for high accuracy permissions to track steps, so allow that.

Then come back to MFP and go to Apps & Devices. Add Google Fit as an app. Then go to Steps and pick Google fit for your step count. Set yourself to sedentary.

Once you have it, its fairly automatic. Look at Google Fit once or twice a day so it can send data to MFP, then open MFP to receive the step data to add to your active calorie count. It'll even automatically start tracking your distance by GPS if it detects an intentional long walk or run, so you can see the actual distance covered along with steps, time, and calories.

The only problem I found is its 3 hours off my local EST time. So my workouts past 9pm didn't show up until the next day, even if they appeared to me on my app at my local time. I think its because it sends steps to other apps based off Google's local time, which is PST. Not too big of a deal, I just moved my "late" food entries by a day if I were too close to my calorie goal.

So overall, its pretty good for being free. You can use it until you decide on purchasing a specific step tracker.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

+27 shipping and fees. Total $196 @ 1.35 = $265. Vs $200 + 12% tax = $224.

But I see they have the TomTom spark for $142. It plays music as well. Hmmm.

it sure does. i got some plantoniks
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »

I think the vivoactive might be a bit better at monitoring HR. I used a chest strap which bluetoothed to my phone for a long time, the Garmin does seem to reflect pretty well the sort of data that the chest strap would generate.
    It does seem a bit slower to show the drops in HR than the chest strap, and the trace is a little bit cruder, but the maximum and mean values are spot on.
    I had to ditch it in the end as I was getting tired of the connection keep dropping and I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to collecting data!
    I'm sure that a wrist measurement can't be as good as a chest strap, but this one is close enough for what I want from it.
    This is a screen shot from this mornings ride if it's of any interest.

Screenshot_20161124-164103_zpsvjot8zvc.png

Also some Garmins, including the Vivoactive and Fenix 3, can pair with a chest strap for the best of both worlds. I wear my chest strap for dedicated exercise (except mountain biking, where the wrist based seems pretty accurate) and just the watch the rest of the day.