Do longer work days require more calories?

Options
ajctrain2027
ajctrain2027 Posts: 4 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I start my day at 4:30 and get home between 5:30-6:00. I have a hard time stretching 1200 calories over the day and arriving home famished. I have a protein drink on the way home, but evenings are a real challenge. I wonder if people with longer schedules need an extra 200-300? Or is that wishful thinking?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It depends more upon what kind of work you do than anything. If it's physically demanding, absolutely. If it's an office job that involves 90% sitting on your butt, probably not.

I found that for my really low-calorie, longer days, eating smaller amount every four hours tended to help. By the end of each four hour period, the hunger was really starting to set in hard, and for me, the hungrier I am, the less food it takes to shut my gut up.
  • ajctrain2027
    Options
    That's true. It's probably key to keep to that 4 hour limit and avoid being overly hungry. And it's 98% at my desk. Thank you :)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite...

Skipping breakfast most days helps me control hunger, it gives me more volume for lunch/dinner. My husband works early hours from home so I usually wake up when he does so often times I'm up 4am too. I eat on average 1250 calories.

I also started playing around with my macros and I found having a carb, protein, fat with every meal helps keep me satiated on lower calories.

So maybe try playing around with your macros and meal frequency to find your sweet spot.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No. Your maintenance calories account for your daily activity. Is 1200 calories what MFP gave you?
  • ajctrain2027
    Options
    Yes. So I have to stick to it. Keeping the 4 hour rule in response 1 is helping. Paying attention to macros also makes sense.
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I work 12 hr shifts (desk job). 5 smaller meals throughout my day (every 3-4 hours) along with lots of water works well for me. I never feel hungry,
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I start my day at 4:30 and get home between 5:30-6:00. I have a hard time stretching 1200 calories over the day and arriving home famished. I have a protein drink on the way home, but evenings are a real challenge. I wonder if people with longer schedules need an extra 200-300? Or is that wishful thinking?

Is your goal appropriate or overly restrictive and agressive? Are you a very active person or sedentary?
    Do you get 8 hours or less of sleep each day? If you get much less than 8 hours consider getting more. When I am sleep deprived I always want to eat more. http://www.uchospitals.edu/news/2004/20041206-sleep.html
    Most people are probably awake 14-16 hours a day so no you don't need more calories than someone else just because you have a long work day instead of being home during those hours.
    Are you meeting your protein, fat, fiber goals? You said you were drinking a protein shake. I personally find chewing satisfies me more than drinking my calories.
    Play around with when you eat most of your calories. I eat every 3-5 hours. That is when I get hungry but I don't split my calories evenly. Some people eat more frequently or less frequently. Find what helps you function best. Try eating lighter in the morning and save more calories for later in the day maybe.
  • fitqueenbess
    fitqueenbess Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a female desk-sitter in my late 50's and keep similar hours. MFP and other calculators give me @ 1500 to maintain my current weight of 131 for a sedentary lifestyle. You must be very small to maintain at 1200 per day. Exercise is your best friend! Eat at least some (half?) of the calories burned.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I think that 1200 calories is too few for the vast majority of people. (You can ignore that statement if you're a very short sedentary older woman.) That's more likely the problem.

As others have noted, sitting at a desk for a few extra hours doesn't mean your body needs extra calories. Staying awake longer doesn't even usually mean your body needs extra calories - but it sure will try to convince you of the opposite. Which is why getting enough sleep is important for weight loss. Your day starts very early. Do you get enough sleep? Not getting enough sleep can make you hungry.
  • ajctrain2027
    Options
    Sleep is a big issue. So all of you have given me the things, that I need to work on. Thank you!
  • allym979
    allym979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The more you work, the more energy you need. This includes mental energy, as if you have a desk job, you don't need more calories. But if food is motivating, then that long of a work day you will crave more food to keep you going!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I mean im not a fan of protein shakes in this situation i almost wonder if its not mental, You want something to chew and enjoy when you get home. But no you don't need more calories for long hours of sitting on your booty at work XD
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and have found if I don't get some cardio at lunch time I'm more prone to the munchies in the afternoon.

The sun is out today and I'm looking forward to a long walk around the pond in a state park near me at lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

1200 is a DEFAULT minimum for women. It's not necessarily right for you. I'm 55 (5'5") and eat 1400 calories. I do lose slower, but staying consistent is the most important thing.

I will go for a walk at lunch time, or after work. Bad weather - I walk in a local home improvement store - or use a "walking" video (YouTube). Staying active is so important for your health.