Recommend a good lifting program for women

Options
One where I can visually follow along the workouts? Like fitnessblender on YouTube. I'm willing to pay for it.

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves but it is a book.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What kind of lifting are we talking about? Free weights? Barbells?

I'd recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women or Stronglifts 5x5. Those both use Barbells.
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have access to kettlebells and dumbells only. Well, I have a barbell but max weight in it is 50kg. Nothing in book form please as I lack motivation to follow along a book. Waves something I could watch and imitate. A progressive lifting program
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It depends on your experience level and your goals, care to share?
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    a45cal wrote: »
    Perhaps this is just ignorance on my part, but weight lifting with a progressive overload doesn't strike me as the sort of thing that would lend itself to the follow-along-to-a-fitness-video format.

On the one hand, it's such a simple concept (e.g. put x amount of weight on a bar, squat the number of times you can, rest, repeat), and on the other there are so many things that are going to vary (how much weight is challenging to you for that day, how quickly you do the reps, how long you need to rest). It just doesn't seem practical or necessary to try to do it exactly the way that someone else does it, other than in a limited capacity while learning to nail down form.

I guess my question is, why do you feel like you need to follow along with someone in order to lift? In my head, it's so simple to find something in a book or online to prescribe a certain number of squats, deadlifts, benchpress, etc and then to either watch short form videos or hire a trainer to show you how to do them...and then just do them with all the personal adjustments you need accounted for. Am I missing something?

You know, I never actually thought of it like that. I've been successful at losing fat and gaining strength and muscle using kettlebells and follow along workouts with kettlebells where I just increased the weight of the bell when it got easy. I assumed the same would be for weighs, would it not? I just find it way more motivational following along
  • a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not too familiar with workouts specifically designed for kettlebells (though just like dumbbells, they can be used to a certain point as a replacement for a barbell in exercises like squats and deadlifts).

It's just that the "progressive" part of progressive overload means that the program continues to be challenging to your muscles, either by upping the weight lifted (which happens with relative frequency when you're new to lifting) or the number of sets/reps done. A video obviously isn't going to change set and rep ranges, though you are still getting some progression by using heavier kettlebells as time goes on.

You'd probably get better results from a structured lifting program that teaches you the exercises, gives you a template of sets and reps to aim for and then lets you plug in your own numbers for that day to make sure you're staying challenged. But if there's an upper limit on how much weight you have access to for the lifts, then perhaps there's someone around who can recommend kettlebell-specific workouts that you might like. It's still better than not lifting at all, IMO.
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    I'm not too familiar with workouts specifically designed for kettlebells (though just like dumbbells, they can be used to a certain point as a replacement for a barbell in exercises like squats and deadlifts).

It's just that the "progressive" part of progressive overload means that the program continues to be challenging to your muscles, either by upping the weight lifted (which happens with relative frequency when you're new to lifting) or the number of sets/reps done. A video obviously isn't going to change set and rep ranges, though you are still getting some progression by using heavier kettlebells as time goes on.

You'd probably get better results from a structured lifting program that teaches you the exercises, gives you a template of sets and reps to aim for and then lets you plug in your own numbers for that day to make sure you're staying challenged. But if there's an upper limit on how much weight you have access to for the lifts, then perhaps there's someone around who can recommend kettlebell-specific workouts that you might like. It's still better than not lifting at all, IMO.

I have a barbel with a max weight of 50kg and will be purchasing powerblock dumebells with max weight of 22kg per hand and seriously doubt I'll be able to lift heavier than that. I'm fairly strong as I've been lifting heavy kettlebells for 6 years now and generally play around with 20kg single handedly
  • a45cal
    Options

I have a barbel with a max weight of 50kg and will be purchasing powerblock dumebells with max weight of 22kg per hand and seriously doubt I'll be able to lift heavier than that. I'm fairly strong as I've been lifting heavy kettlebells for 6 years now and generally play around with 20kg single handedly

When you say that you doubt you'll be able to lift heavier than 22kg per hand, do you mean that you don't think you'll ever have the strength for that, or that you won't ever have access to heavier weights?

I don't know what your bodyweight is, or what sort of movements you're making with 20kg weights one-handed, so I can't really judge the level of strength implied by that. For instance, 20kg (assuming one in each hand) on something like an overhead press would be pretty strong (especially for a female), where the same amounts on a deadlift would be rather light. For a decent reference of what weights you can expect to be able to lift at different body weights and training levels, this chart is helpful: http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/female/kg

Maybe I'm biased (or misjudging what you can do already), but I just can't help but think that the dedication you've put into lifting weights for six years should really be yielding you the maximum strength results it can.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

When you say that you doubt you'll be able to lift heavier than 22kg per hand, do you mean that you don't think you'll ever have the strength for that, or that you won't ever have access to heavier weights?

I don't know what your bodyweight is, or what sort of movements you're making with 20kg weights one-handed, so I can't really judge the level of strength implied by that. For instance, 20kg (assuming one in each hand) on something like an overhead press would be pretty strong (especially for a female), where the same amounts on a deadlift would be rather light. For a decent reference of what weights you can expect to be able to lift at different body weights and training levels, this chart is helpful: http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/female/kg

Maybe I'm biased (or misjudging what you can do already), but I just can't help but think that the dedication you've put into lifting weights for six years should really be yielding you the maximum strength results it can.

I'll just speak up in a small voice here and then back slowly out of the thread. There is a small group of people who don't respond well to strength training by making the necessary neuromuscular adaptations all that quickly. This is largely genetically determined. We're destined to be weakpots, it seems.

I remember when I first learned about this, I almost felt like crying tears of relief finding out what was "wrong" with me.

Anyway, I'll back out now.

• a45cal
    Options

I'll just speak up in a small voice here and then back slowly out of the thread. There is a small group of people who don't respond well to strength training by making the necessary neuromuscular adaptations all that quickly. This is largely genetically determined. We're destined to be weakpots, it seems.

I remember when I first learned about this, I almost felt like crying tears of relief finding out what was "wrong" with me.

That's fair if it's the case (and no real need to be shy about saying it; I don't usually bite ;) ). It's just that what OP has said thus far has given me the impression that she probably hasn't been on a progressive lifting program before and probably (though I could be wrong) hasn't really been challenged in that way to see if she maxes out or not.

My only goal here in linking the strength standards, which are obviously averages and should be taken as such, is just to show that it's possible that she might be underestimating herself. I'd hate to see anyone give up on being stronger just because they didn't know it was possible.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

That's fair if it's the case (and no real need to be shy about saying it; I don't usually bite ;) ). It's just that what OP has said thus far has given me the impression that she probably hasn't been on a progressive lifting program before and probably (though I could be wrong) hasn't really been challenged in that way to see if she maxes out or not.

My only goal here in linking the strength standards, which are obviously averages and should be taken as such, is just to show that it's possible that she might be underestimating herself. I'd hate to see anyone give up on being stronger just because they didn't know it was possible.

Gotcha.

Those strength standards always get me in the gut. I've been stuck at beginner for 2 years of progressive training!
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. I can press 20kg. Max 3 reps per arm though. I will only have acccess to 22kg per arm once I invest in the dumbells as that's the max weight they come in. When I do deadlifts at the moment, it's with my barbell. The max weight of barbel is 50kg though I could definitely dealift than that but I don't have more weights. Ideally, joining the gym would be best but I don't have that option because I have a two year old and no babysitter.

It makes me sad that I can't go heavier. I know I do have a lot of strength because I've been doing it for so long and have been very consistent. I haven't missed a workout in years.

Oh, and I'm 143 pounds, 32 years old and 25% body fat. Want to get the body fat down..around the lower abs and love handles and that's why I've decided on a heavy lifting program with dumbells because there are certain exercises I can do with dumbells that I can't do with kettlebells.

Thanks so much for replies
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this is just ignorance on my part, but weight lifting with a progressive overload doesn't strike me as the sort of thing that would lend itself to the follow-along-to-a-fitness-video format.

On the one hand, it's such a simple concept (e.g. put x amount of weight on a bar, squat the number of times you can, rest, repeat), and on the other there are so many things that are going to vary (how much weight is challenging to you for that day, how quickly you do the reps, how long you need to rest). It just doesn't seem practical or necessary to try to do it exactly the way that someone else does it, other than in a limited capacity while learning to nail down form.

I guess my question is, why do you feel like you need to follow along with someone in order to lift? In my head, it's so simple to find something in a book or online to prescribe a certain number of squats, deadlifts, benchpress, etc and then to either watch short form videos or hire a trainer to show you how to do them...and then just do them with all the personal adjustments you need accounted for. Am I missing something?

To be honest, for me I get bored very easily! I workout with fitnessblender videos and I LOVE follow along with the videos. I get to do a different one every day and it keeps my interest. I find that when I know what's coming in a workout I tend to no push myself as hard to "save it just in case" so when I can follow along with the workouts there's a certain amount of motivation that comes from not knowing what's next and psyching myself out mentally before I get there. Also with fitnessblender specifically they've been making videos for 6yrs and there's over 600 of them all for FREE. They've football really good at mixing things up and targeting the entire body so I find my overall health is very well balanced. Much more so than it would be if I was doing it on my own.

I think some of than then just comes down to different personality makeups. Some people won't ever need the videos to keep interest :-) others of us do!