Best Weight Loss Advice or Tip

Options
2»

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Here are some that have helped me.

-Drink plenty of water. Maybe even go over by a little bit the amount you should be drinking daily

-Use different exercises, cardio is great, but strength training helps, ALOT.

-When you first start out, it may take 2-3 weeks before you start to see a loss on the scale. Don't let that discourage you. It will happen as long as you keep with it.

-A HRM can do wonders for accurately calculating your calories. And, eat some of those back, your net for the day should not be less than 1200.

I'm sure there are more, but that is what I have realized in the past few months.
  • ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have a made up mind to change your lifestyle, not just go on a diet or lose weight. Decide to get healthy!!! Once that happens, you will seek out information to help you reach your goal. Definitely get an accountability partner who will really keep you on your toes. Not someone who just says all the time, "Oh, that's OK that you ... (fill in the blank).

Track your food to see what you are eating. I agree with the post about fruit. Keep it to no more than 2 servings a day.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    women need to lift, and lift heavy... and it is impossible to turn out like arnold, unless that is the results that you want.

You can "cheat" but cheat smart.

pack and prepare everything so you don't have an excuse.

Be miserable with your choice or motivate yourself, whatever has to be done. It is always your choice.

All of this... Plus more cardio than you think, more water than you drink now and push harder than you thought possible. It all adds up. Get up and get moving :)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Eat! But make good choices. Weight train, and don't be afraid of heavy weights (for women). Eat clean, drink your 8 glasses of water, minimum, plan and prepare food in advance, and really think about it before you put stuff in your mouth! Lots of fresh veggies, lean meat, some fruit.Take responsibility, be consistent and patient... all easier said than done.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Food is fuel. If you don't eat enough food, you cant fuel your body.
  • IferLioy
    IferLioy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for the great advice! I am excited to try some of these changes. I'd like to start moving toward eating more "clean". Any help in that area would be great also! <3
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for the great advice! I am excited to try some of these changes. I'd like to start moving toward eating more "clean". Any help in that area would be great also! <3

Eating clean to me means eating food in their natural state.....not a ton of chemicals/additives or processing. Like, believe it or not, I would choose real butter over margarine....just in moderation. Real food.....not boxed or canned. Whole grains, fresh or frozen veggies....real fruit...not canned. I don't eat much beef or pork.....I eat fish, chicken and turkey. There are clean eating cookbooks out there......Amazon.com or just search the web.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Patience
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    planning, planning, planning. Did I mention planning? Planning is what helped me go from 226 pounds to 137 pounds (4 years ago). It's what's helping me get BACK there now ...
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have managed to lose weight, what is your best piece of advice or tips that helped you lose the weight!?

Move more, eat less.

/thread
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Switch all your plates in your house to 9 inch plates. An empty plate fools the brain into thinking the body's eaten enough. A small "full" plate does the same.

Split entree's with your date, significant other, friend etc when you go out to eat. You'll save money and a ton of calories.

Eat most your allotted calories at breakfast ( or first meal of the day). As the day wears on you'll be less hungry.

Consume the majority of your carbs in the day and less at night.
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    Eat
    Lift (Heavy)
    Drink (Water)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Some great advice so far. I'll add one more: Get more sleep!

Most of us don't get enough and too little sleep will hinder your weight loss efforts.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals well in advance. It's those times when you try to decide what to eat at the last minute that the temptation to make poor food choices is greatest.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    DO NOT LET THE SCALE RULE YOU...no matter what it says because your wt will change daily, dont get discouraged by the scale just keep it moving and you will succeed.

also make a note or print out all of these responses because they all work, just find the right combination for you & your body.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Weight training and running... Got me to my goal. If you think you can't run, try the couch to 5k (c25k) program.

This is exactly the advice I intended to give: Weight training to boost your metabolism, tone your muscles, and strengthen and stabilize your joints. And running or some other form of serious cardio to improve your cardiovascular fitness and increase stamina. And incidentally, to burn off calories. I'm within 5lb of my goal and haven't hit a plateau yet, and I credit that at least as much to weight training as to cardio - probably more. And of course healthy eating had a lot to do with it too.