Women in their 40s?

Options
Rhozelyn
Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
edited November 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi
Since turning 40 my body has a mind of its own. If I eat normalish I gain weight...if I eat less I don't lose weight...is it stress? is it hormones?
I really would like friends of a similar age to learn from their experiences.
Thanks x

Replies

• Lifterella
    Lifterella Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and the only thing that seems to work for me if incorporating lots of weight lifting into my routine.
  • EmJemAnt
    EmJemAnt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and hit the turning point at 42-43 when my metabolism seemed to slooooooowwww way down. I am fairly active--pilates 3x week, tons of walking, cardio at least twice a week--so it's def the diet. If I'm good over a few months I lose about 12 pounds. Then if I revert to a more indulgent diet--wine, pasta, bigger portions--I can gain that back in a few weeks. I guess I'm commiserating more than helping here. My doctor and a nutritionist friend said much of it is probably hormonal which you cannot control, so attention to diet and activity is key. I'm guessing some body acceptance would help me too. ;-)
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I started here just before I turned 40...I've found that logging really helps and weighing. I don't weigh every morsel that goes in my mouth but I weigh some stuff. And I've found that sometimes I'm out of calories for the day and I WANT something. But I don't have it. I have a cup of tea or a glass of water. It isn't about can't, it is won't, because I want these 65 lbs (or more, that's goal 1) gone more than I want a snack.

And I've lost 24 of them. We are not our bodies, we just live here. Just like a house or apartment, we choose how it looks and what we put in. It's time for some serious declutter in mine!
  • kakishort
    kakishort Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I'm also 40-something and noticed the metabolic slowdown. Coupled with a series of injuries that changed my exercise habits, I've struggled for the last few years. I've been logging with MFP for the last year and I think it has kept me sane. At least it has provided me with evidence of what I'm eating and when I am failing to take care of myself.

I'm trying to replace running with a commitment to yoga and walking. I'm hoping it is the secret to staving off any more injuries. If anyone has a better suggestion - I'm all ears!

I'd be happy to friend anyone who needs a little encouragement.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Gosh! So good to know I am not alone with this struggle. My sister lost weight very quickly when she hit 40 but tbh she worked hard and was committed with diet and exercise. I have to ask myself if I have given it 100% and the answer is no...maybe my efforts are about 20%! Well lets check in monthly and see where we get to. Hopefully Christmas is not the end of me!