Crossfit & IIFYM

Options
So I started a Crossfit boot camp 5 weeks ago. I lost 8lbs right away on the paleo diet. I haven't lost any more weight since then and about a week ago I stared including carbs in my diet because I felt like if I was going to eat a certain way that I wanted it to be something I could stick with and not eating pancakes on Sunday is not something I can live with lol

So I have decided to try IIFYM again.... I've had great success in the past however at that time I was lifting heavy daily but now I'm doing Crossfit that incorporates more intense cardio 5xs a week.

Anyone doing the same? Have you/ are you seeing results?

Replies

• babycatchfire
    babycatchfire Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love iifym. The first 15lbs that I lost was by following the paleo diet. I do hate restriction though which is why I couldn't consider it a "lifestyle."
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,177 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a calorie deficit you will lose.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    water weight mostly lost No way you burned 28000 extra calories in 5 weeks
  • deego14
    deego14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

You're so smart
  • deego14
    deego14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love iifym. The first 15lbs that I lost was by following the paleo diet. I do hate restriction though which is why I couldn't consider it a "lifestyle."

I agree!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Mr crossfit gym counts macros instead and encourages carbs
  • Michael190lbs
    Options
    deego14 wrote: »

You're so smart

Thank you-
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I couldn't successfully completely the Paleo diet for a full week. I have to have carbs as like you I like pancakes and coffee creamer way too much. IIFYM is the way I eat. I still get to have the things I want but there is a level of discipline built in that doesn't allow me to gorge myself to 500 pounds.
    I also seem to perform better in my workouts by lifting a little heavier and running a tad bit faster without feeling out of breath.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options

You're so smart

Thank you-

She was being sarcastic. Saying someone can't burn an average of 800 calories a day between diet and exercise is a pretty stupid comment to make. If you don't have anything beneficial to add to her question/discussion, don't post some negative comment about her success.
  • Michael190lbs
    edited November 2016
    Options
    atjays wrote: »

You're so smart

Thank you-

She was being sarcastic. Saying someone can't burn an average of 800 calories a day between diet and exercise is a pretty stupid comment to make. If you don't have anything beneficial to add to her question/discussion, don't post some negative comment about her success.

Your the only one making that statement I never did

If you think she lost 8 lbs of FAT 28,000 calories in 5 weeks please please please quit lying to her. All I said was its water which most people with a clue will agree.. Nothing I said was NEGATIVE just Facts..

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. The OP said she was doing crossfit. It's possible she severely injured an appendage doing snatches or deadlifts for time and had to have it amputated.
  • rileysowner
    Options

You're so smart

Thank you-

If you think she lost 8 lbs of FAT 28,000 calories in 5 weeks please please please quit lying to her. All I said was its water which most people with a clue will agree.. Nothing I said was NEGATIVE just Facts..

28000 calories total over 5 week is still only an 800 calorie per day deficit. Between exercise and food that is not really that far out there. It might be over aggressive for some people, but not for all, and maybe not for the OP.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

You're so smart

Thank you-

28000 calories total over 5 week is still only an 800 calorie per day deficit. Between exercise and food that is not really that far out there. It might be over aggressive for some people, but not for all, and maybe not for the OP.

I agree, it's totally doable.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    So I started a Crossfit boot camp 5 weeks ago. I lost 8lbs right away on the paleo diet. I haven't lost any more weight since then and about a week ago I stared including carbs in my diet because I felt like if I was going to eat a certain way that I wanted it to be something I could stick with and not eating pancakes on Sunday is not something I can live with lol

So I have decided to try IIFYM again.... I've had great success in the past however at that time I was lifting heavy daily but now I'm doing Crossfit that incorporates more intense cardio 5xs a week.

Anyone doing the same? Have you/ are you seeing results?

Unwilling to give up pancakes on Sunday? Your style is impeccable.

IIFYM will work. Just need to possibly realign it with your new training goals.
  • Michael190lbs
    Options
    Just

You're so smart

Thank you-

OK If you do an 800 calorie deficit for 5 weeks between food and exercise you will lose weight yes BUT and its a HUGE BUTT you will lose three things Fat, Muscle and water it has been shown countless times that when people do a Lower carb diet that they lose water weight in the first few weeks do to the lower carb diet. All people regardless of diet in a deficit lose Muscle, along with Fat as they lower their caloric intake- Its just the way were built!!

To the OP this is not an attack on you I apologize if it came across that way congrats on your loss.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Just

You're so smart

Thank you-

OK If you do an 800 calorie deficit for 5 weeks between food and exercise you will lose weight yes BUT and its a HUGE BUTT you will lose three things Fat, Muscle and water it has been shown countless times that when people do a Lower carb diet that they lose water weight in the first few weeks do to the lower carb diet. All people regardless of diet in a deficit lose Muscle, along with Fat as they lower their caloric intake- Its just the way were built!!

To the OP this is not an attack on you I apologize if it came across that way congrats on your loss.

Yes, all that is true, but the blanket statement that started this about it being mostly water weight, may or may not, and it is in the realm of possibility that there was a good amount of fat and some muscle as well.