Do you eat when hungry if out of calories?

Options
I had breakfast at 5am which is about 3 hours earlier than I normally do. I have 360 calories left for 5 hours and worried I might get hungry. What do you do in situations like this?

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Make the most out of those 360 calories you have left. Idk what your breakfast was like, but if it was filling and you ate enough, the energy provided should last you until the late afternoon and/or dinnertime.
    A lot of times for me, it's just boredom hunger, so I chew gum, take a walk, watch a movie, catch up on work I've procrastinated on, etc. If and only if distractions don't work and I truly feel hungry will I just go ahead and overeat.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    I eat something filling for me with fewer calories. For me, microwaved potato, lots of veggies & small serving of protein & bread if i have enough calories, or just go over a little, lots of water too
  • krwjohnson
    krwjohnson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If I'm out, I'm out. I always keep fresh vegetables on hand so if I run low I can fill up on those.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I bake some broccoli and mushrooms in the oven (til broc is slightly crunchy), sprinkle with lemon juice and lemon pepper seasoning before cooking, and drizzle a bit of ranch over it after it's cooked. Surprisingly filling for low calories, I had some yesterday for a total of 143 calories which tide me over til dinner.

ETA: I used to pour olive oil over it all before cooking, but i stopped doing that and it makes no difference to taste or texture (which i thought it would have).
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Make the most out of those 360 calories you have left. Idk what your breakfast was like, but if it was filling and you ate enough, the energy provided should last you until the late afternoon and/or dinnertime.
    A lot of times for me, it's just boredom hunger, so I chew gum, take a walk, watch a movie, catch up on work I've procrastinated on, etc. If and only if distractions don't work and I truly feel hungry will I just go ahead and overeat.

Yeah I had 3 eggs some cheese and toast. I don't know why I worry about hypothetical so much.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I do cardio (rowing) to "earn" more calories so that I can eat more. Works out to about 10 mins of rowing per 100 cals earned at a moderate rate of effort.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    sometimes I do but I look at the quality of my calories and trying to improve over time, without overcompensating

for example in the past it may have happened that I snacked on too much fruit, or I had oatcake thinking I will have one and end up having 6, 3 days in row. If I am hungry at my maintenance level for few days in row it either means some of my food choices can improve or I am overtired.

Sometimes, I may feel pickish and not have anything. Tolerating little bit of hunger and managing cravings is important in my opinion and saying No sometimes too
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I personally have a perfectionistic personality and wouldn't go over my calorie goal regardless if I feel hungry or not.

Drinking more water can help supress hunger.
  • Janet1608
    Janet1608 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always have some low calorie veg in the fridge. Easy to heat up and part of your 5 a day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I personally try to increase my activity to earn more calories, if that's not an option, I try to cram the most filling foods to me into the few remaining calories, and if I'm still hungry and don't feel like staying hungry, I just "borrow" some calories from tomorrow or just call it a day as long as it's under maintenance.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I always eat extra if I am hungry. Usually I will be less hungry the next day thats why I let my calories range from 2100-2600 per day. Some days I am naturally more hungry so I don't worry about it. Some weeks I eat 2600 every single day and don't gain, others I eat 2100 it all balances out in the end.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I wait it out and sip water or unsweetened herbal tea. Usually the hunger pang goes away after a half hour or so.

But when I am hungry-hungry I will eat something and make up for it the next day.

Since I look at my calories on a weekly basis, not daily it all evens out.

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No, I don't worry about it, espcially in the situation you described. If I get up earlier its probable I'm going to need more calories to fuelthe day. I eat if I'm hungry, it evens out over the next few days. A couple hundred one way or the other happens. It fluxuates depending on what foods I eat and other things like activity, stress, social occassions. For every up day there is a down one, so just logging and keeping an eye out seems a sàtisfactory maintenance plan.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I do, but I run such an absurd deficit that I could eat two extra times per day and still be under maintenance.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a hot beverage, such as coffee with skim milk and Truvia. Or some tea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat more in that case.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I do one of several things, most of which have already been suggested:
    - Exercise to earn more calories;
    - Drink something. I keep Sobe Water around for when I have cravings. It seems to satisfy me;
    - Eat something low calorie and filling, like lots of veggies and some meat (with zero carbs);
    - Eat. Any day I am at or below maintenance level is a success, even if I go over my calorie target for the day.

Bottom line: Don't stress too much about it if you occasionally go over your target. Just try not to make a habit of it.