Mental Health & Fitness

Options
Hi there,
I am using MFP to help me in fighting my mental health issues. I would be really glad to hear positive stories from others in similar situations. Hopefully we can encourage each other

Replies

• LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I also use MFP as well as my Fitbit to help with my mental illness. While I do have my setbacks, it helps immensely! I'd recommend joining challenges if you're up for it (lots of support and accountability to actually keep using the app).

• thesecret16tifm
    thesecret16tifm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will do. Thank you for taking the time to post on this x
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I use myfitnesspal to help me with my weight loss and fitness goals and it's an extremely helpful tool. But I'm not sure it's exactly designed to help with mental health? It's just a calorie & macros counter...
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It can help. Depending on the 'Friends circle' and motivation you get and you pay back with. The community is full of people struggling with the mental aspects of general health and well being; and saying that, there's plenty of supportive people around

Good luck x

That's true I guess the social aspect of it can be helpful. I do find that very motivating and it's nice to feel like part of a group with similar goals.
  • thesecret16tifm
    thesecret16tifm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use myfitnesspal to help me with my weight loss and fitness goals and it's an extremely helpful tool. But I'm not sure it's exactly designed to help with mental health? It's just a calorie & macros counter...

Fitness is general is suggested as a helpful tool to boost seratonin etc so coming from that point of view with regards mental Heath.
  • Taylor076097
    Taylor076097 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression and anxiety. The day I started on meds and got the help I needed I also downloaded MFP and started going back to the gym. It has helped so much. The app makes me be accountable.. and the support keeps you going.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder type 1.

Eating a diet of unprocessed foods helps (alongside my medication) my mood stability, as does regular exercise - particularly outside in nature.

Using this app helps me to be more mindful about my food and exercise.

In the last 35 days ish of logging and utilising the social support here I have managed to eat clean, increase my exercise frequency and tolerance AND get my weight under 60kg, which hasn't happened since I 'gave in' and started psych meds 3yrs ago. I'm not at my weight goal yet however I am certainly starting to feel like I'm in my own body again.

Feel free to add me as a friend (I'll send a request).
  • tashalloyd330
    tashalloyd330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! Will add you. I have been tracking for 4 weeks now and doing well with staying under calories and I am having a hard time losing. :( I am taking Lamictal and Trintellix, which weight gain is not common. I am confused, because in April before I was on these meds, I had lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks and I have never had a problem losing before when actively trying. It is very frustrating for me. :(