Fellow Athletes

Options
You love exercise. I do too.

And you know you need to work on something that will make you better at your sport....but, you don't really want to.

For triathletes, I hear this is the swimming portion they avoid in their training.

What is your dreaded exercise, and what do you do to get them done?

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    For my sport what most people what most people hate working on, the basics, I love. I could say I hate stroking cause it's cardio and hurts
  • WonderWomanOCR
    WonderWomanOCR Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Running, specifically the long runs (I'll bike, row, swim, etc. with no issue). I'll do hills, speedwork, and weights/sledwork until the cows come home; but the LSD is my most dreaded workout.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    The runs.. It's the bloody runs that gets us everytime. I can row, swim, lift, jump and all but the running, that's what kills me
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The only dreaded thing about my workouts (I lift and run) are doing my runs in the cold and with wind. The longer runs in these conditions can be a bit brutal as in yesterday a 10 mile run for me was a bit of a struggle.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    The only dreaded thing about my workouts (I lift and run) are doing my runs in the cold and with wind. The longer runs in these conditions can be a bit brutal as in yesterday a 10 mile run for me was a bit of a struggle.

You could move.

Somewhere with palm trees or cactus.

Warm is good.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

You could move.

Warm is good.

Costa Rica.. one way trip is in my future one day when I am completely alone and have zero responsibilities.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

You could move.

Warm is good.

Costa Rica.. one way trip is in my future one day when I am completely alone and have zero responsibilities.

I have one item on my bucket list, it is: Hawaii
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Stud athlete here, reporting in

Hey.... sorry to bug but I think maybe your auto correct misspelled: Dud

j/k
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Stud athlete here, reporting in

Stud? Like a stallion who is too old to race? as in retired to?
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    So I hear a lot bragging about your sport/selves, and whining about the dreaded exercises, but no one said how they get these dreaded exercises done, or make them more enjoyable.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yeah, i hate the run - swim/bike i'll do all day - but run, avoid at all costs...that being said, when I did my Ironman is October, I had the largest gain in improvement on the run (6:14 marathon to a 5:54)...so when i'm actually dedicated to it...haha!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    So I hear a lot bragging about your sport/selves, and whining about the dreaded exercises, but no one said how they get these dreaded exercises done, or make them more enjoyable.

to quote my coach...suck it up buttercup - haha! I don't think there is a way to make them more enjoyable but to just do them
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

??? Do them. I LOVE to hate chinups, I rant, rave, and in general carry on like a fudge addicted 5 year old whose momma said no - but it just feels so awesome to bust out just...one....more lol.

I'm not an athlete in any competition, but there are scores of athletic folks on the boards here, so what I do is change up my routine frequently + add in things that probably aren't quantified in the mfp library, like chase the dogs for an hour playing, hit the 2 sets of stairs in the house for speedruns, hang a rope from the basement ceiling, lay down and use that to emulate a different style of pull up....
  • RoxieDawn
    edited November 2016
    Options

whining? bragging?

I never brag.. I am too old for that..

As far as getting it done, I just do it! :)
  • Grey_1
    Options

whining? bragging?

pffffft

<3
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »

whining? bragging?

pffffft

<3

I am only as old as I feel... how about that? lol :)<3

ps I really don't feel my age at all..
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »

whining? bragging?

pffffft

<3

I am only as old as I feel... how about that? lol :)<3

ps I really don't feel my age at all..

Nor do I :)
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Mine is dead lifts, not cause I don't like them, but the volume of work, and its heavy *kitten* *kitten*, takes every bit of energy to make it though a full work out. I make sure I get all my meals in for the day before I work out. Change your mind set, make it life or death situation. Its a job, just go get it done.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm an athlete or not. I don't think of myself as one. To be honest I'm not even sure if cycling is a sport, I don't race these days so it isn't a competition.
    What is your dreaded exercise, and what do you do to get them done?

Lifting. I have a recurring appointment in my calendar so that my watch will buzz at me when it's time. And I obey. I have some mediocre equipment and I lift at home, which for me is better than going to a gym and dealing with parking and all that. When it's nice I lift outside in the garden. Also, if it's nice, I go for a bike ride after lifting as a reward.