Fuller longer

Options
tigz4
tigz4 Posts: 21 Member
Has any one experienced a good food that makes them fuller longer. I'm restarting and on my days off I feel really peckish all the time :( then when I'm at work I crave chocolate has any one got any helpfully tips?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Protein, fat and fiber are filling. There's isn't one exact formula. Experiment to figure out what combination works for you.

I include protein & fat at breakfast. Most snacks are fiberous. Lunch and dinner is a combination of all three.

Make sure your deficit isn't too large. An aggressive weight loss goal can backfire. MFP's initial calories are before exercise....so if you work out eat a % of those calories too.

Drink enough water so you aren't mistaking hunger for thirst.

I allow myself a small portion of (dark) chocolate every day. Elimination diets just make me crave things more and I don't learn what I need to for maintenance.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I find that if my meals consist of relatively equal amounts of carbs, fats and protein, plus if I consume enough fiber and water, I'm satisfied.

Also...I eat chocolate. Not giving that up. :laugh:
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I often find when I start craving that I haven't been eating enough veggies. I have a bad habit of just eating the protein and carb. In all honesty vegetables should be half of the plate not a quarter or third like most of us eat. I still use a little butter and salt and pepper to make them palatable but when I add them back in the cravings are reduced. Also drinking lots of water. If I can't stomach the water I use sugar free Kool-aid drops or something similar. I am willing to risk the artificial sweetener but you may not agree. Some people like a slice of lemon instead.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    tigz4 wrote: »
    Has any one experienced a good food that makes them fuller longer. I'm restarting and on my days off I feel really peckish all the time :( then when I'm at work I crave chocolate has any one got any helpfully tips?

It's something you have to play with...for me, complex carbohydrates are the most filling...whole food starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes...legumes, lentils, etc. After that, protein. I don't find dietary fat to be satiating in the least...I eat what I need to for proper nutrition and that's about it.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    OP - What do you typically eat in a day?

It varies for individuals, but for some of us, feeling full is more about what we don't eat than what we do. For example, I can eat 1000 calories of low carb food for the day, and that'll kill my appetite. I'm totally full.

I can eat that same exact food PLUS add more carbs on top of that, and my appetite greatly increases. So it's not just that I don't find carbs filling, since I'm also consuming the same foods that filled me up on my low carb days. Basically, carbs stimulate my appetite. I'm eating the same 1000 calories from before (plus more), but it's like carbs dull my fullness receptors. Or perhaps the carbs keep my body from producing appetite-suppressing hormones that our body produces more of when we eat high protein? I don't know what it is. I'd like to be studied because I'm curious to know why this happens. ;) All I know for sure is that this is how I am.

If you're like this, and you of course may not be, you might be shocked how much your appetite goes away when you limit carbs.

I personally don't like eating too extreme. So even though I'm trying to drop some weight, I only eat in the appetite killer style 2 or 3 days a week. The rest of the time, I eat a moderate amount of carbs even though they increase my appetite. Part of the reason I eat carbs is precisely TO increase my appetite because I don't want to regularly eat so few calories. By mixing the two ways, my calories average out over the week to a range I'm happy with.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You can add in all the more filling foods, but these are generally individual. In my experience regardless of what i'm eating i'm hungry for the first few weeks of a calorie deficit. Slowly it becomes normal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and coffee. Works for me when I am fasted (up to 22 hours).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Diet pop and sugar free jello. They're the only things that keep me sane when I'm basal testing (a necessary evil for people with type 1 diabetes. We fast for at least 11-12+ hours per testing segment for the sole purpose of assessing whether our basal insulin dose is appropriate for that time period).
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. I can't eat more than a half cup of it in a sitting. Yet last week I ate a sweet potato, a 16oz T bone, and 3 cups of cooked bok choi then had a couple glasses of wine.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A bowl of 100% bran cereal has a lot of staying power due to the fiber but a piece of string cheese really staves off hunger pangs.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For me, it's protein and fat. If I have just carbs, I'm ravenous all day long. As long as I have protein and/or fat at each meal (including snacks), I'm more full, focused and energized.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    what works for me is oatmeal (slow carb) with chia seed and an egg to start the day. I usually do 1/2 serving of oatmeal with 1 tsp chia. Other meals that seem to work best are things like sweet potato, a lean protein serving and plenty of low glycemic veggies. Refined carbs seem to make a viscious cycle for me...I get ravenous and want more soon after eating them. If I eat them, say rice or pasta, I need to limit the serving size and add protein, fat, etc.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Use the "add food note" in the diary. After hitting your calorie goal make a note rating how satiated or hungry you feel. Do this for a few weeks and then look back for any patterns associated with what you ate.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Broooooccoliiiiiii. And potatoes with butter. And meat. All together. So good. So filling.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Soylent and Joylent meal replacements keep me full. Additionally, if I just need something to hold me over for a couple of hours after work and before dinner I drink Muscle Milk Light, 20 grams of protein at only 100 calories.
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating sugar and carbs 15 days ago and have lost 8 pounds and am NOT hungry. It's unbelievable. By limiting my diet to protein, fat, and vegetables, I've found my appetite is diminished to practically nothing. I start the day with an egg or two, or some nuts and cheese. Lunch is a salad plus protein (chicken and feta cheese or the like), dinner is a meat and some veggies. I quit sugar after some other people in the office lost impressive amounts of weight quickly doing the same. Then I saw a movie called THAT SUGAR FILM and it sealed the decision for me. I have spent my whole life struggling with my weight and my cravings. To feel this happening in my body is strange and wonderful!