Not sure what my GW should be

Options
I've set my GW at 160, my SW being 195, but the charts say that in order have a "healthy" BMI I need to be down to 140 lbs. I'm 5'3", and surely think 160 is fine. I'd like some oppinions though.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i am 5'2" and hence close to your height. i currently weigh 120 ish. i felt when i was 140 i was fat. i had a lot of flab. and i still have some flab, but of course i'm looking to build muscle now, not lose fat.

dont go on bmi..its almost worthless and doesnt take into account muscle weight. go on body fat %..and the best way to judge this is with a dexa scan.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Go for 160 and see how you look and feel when you get there. Depends on your frame too - you can always decide to lose more once you get there. A good goal for you!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    My end goal will still be in the overweight category for BMI. Ask me if I care? LOL

Just go with what makes you feel good and when your doctor gives you a clean bill of health. All of these charts and stuff should not rule our happiness!
  • annmrie
    annmrie Posts: 38
    Options
    What is a dexa scan?
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    BMI is not realistic and mostly useless.
    i would go with how you feel. are you comfortable at 160? are you healthy (i.e. blood pressure, cholesterol, physically fit)?
    if so, then stick with 160. Besides, you can always readjust your goal once you reach it.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4" and weigh 165 lb. I would like to weigh about 150 though bc my tummy is a little big still, but I fit into a size 8/10 which I think is perfectly healthy. BMI is only one way to measure health, and according to my waist-hip ratio I am perfectly healthy even at my current weight. Most new studies say that the biggest indicator of health is waist size, so if you have a 29 inch waist at 160 and you are comfortable at that weight, then don't worry. But if you carry a lot of weight around your tummy and your waist measurement is pretty high, then I would aim to loose an additional 10-15 lb.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am just over 5'3" and I have my goal set between 130 and 140. I am now at 152ish and am starting to feel like 140 will be perfect. When I started, around 190, I felt like 130 was going to be good. But seeing how I look in the 150s, I can tell that 130 is going to be too skinny. I really think it has everything to do with your body shape, proportions, and weight distribution. Set your goal at 160 and if when you get there you aren't satisfied, set it at 140 and go from there!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Evaluate your body as you go! You can always change your goal. My goal fro this year is 175, with an ultimate goal of 160. 160 is still borderline overweight for 5'6" and Im 5' 6.5" but If im comfy at fit, and healthy at 175 I will more then likely switch to maintaining there
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    we started at about the same weight.. i'm 5'6 and i chose 160 as my goals. That was the last time i can remember feeling somewhat happy with my body. My game plan is to get to 160, then re-evaluate.
    Good luck to you in your journey.
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think You should stick with 160, seeing as you picked that number because you're comfortable in your belief you can reach it, right?
    If you start with a too high of goal, it will seem much to hard to achieve. Maybe after you reach 160, if you feel the need to loose more, then you can pick another goal weight.
    Good luck : ).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    I would go with the 160, and reevaluate when you get there.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Met Life has a really good weight chart but, whatever you choose, it should be because that is where you feel good:smile:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    It is very individualized as you can tell by the differing comments. I say have your goal be 160 then reevaluate.

I'm 5'3" and started about 166. My goal was 140 and I'm now to about 142. I am healthy but have been toning a lot lately - the scale not moving. If I could get my tummy to go away I'd be perfectly happy with whatever number is on the scale. That is the hardest part for me, after having kids (twins). I think trying to get rid of it will be what drives me below 140. 130 is my ultimate lowest, but I'm not unhappy with the number I'm at now.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2". A few years ago I was at 306, I had lost down to 250. I needed a "procedure" done. Without laying eyes on me, a surgeon's office told me that they would not do the procedure until I was down to 120. When I talked to my family doc, he said simply, "you can't be 120. Let's talk when you are 180 and evaluate from there."

SO... get to your goal then go see your doc and take advise from there!