Not feeling like this is sustainably anymore, I need advice.

Options
It's been about 3 years(I think) since I started my weight loss journey. I'm 5 ft 9 inches, and started at about 185 pounds. Fast forward to now, and since about the summer of 2014, I have been around 115-125 pounds give or take bad weeks, vacation, and very active weeks etc. Anyways, I used to only do extra activity about 4 days a week. I get about 7-10 thousand steps, five days a week at work. Well since this May, I have started doing "extra" everyday. So every single day including my days off, I'm around 15-20 thousand steps. I wake up, go jog, come home run errands, and go for another walk. But lately it's just been more of a chore. I don't necessarily look forward to waking up and immediately being active as I am. So I was wondering if I cut back on my two days off, going from 15-20 thousand steps to about only 10 thousand, how much an impact in weight will I see? I don't want to cut my calories to make up for this, I eat about 1600-2500 a day depending, my weekly average is about 1900 a day. I guess I just need someone to tell me that it's okay to cut myself some slack and I won't blow back up to the weight I used to be. But I just want to be healthy and be happy while doing it. Maintaining my weight shouldn't feel like a chore and I feel like all my extra walks and jogs are turning into that.

Replies

• dantoshea
    dantoshea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - needing/ wanting to cut back on activity but in my case it's due to injuries. I have found that paying closer attention to my eating when I cut back on activity prevents weight from coming back on and keeps me feeling very good about the whole thing. It's not necessarily denying myself foods, but it's making sure I enter everything daily so that I can see what's happening. And, BTW, taking a break from activity is necessary. Hope that's helpful
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Only way to find out is to have a rest day once a week and see what happens I guess. We all need a rest day to let our muscles recover. So yes cut yourself a little slack and re-assess in few weeks.
    3474449k Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That sounds really thin for your height. I am 5'5" and am really thin at 132. If you were maintaining at around 10,000 steps, and are healthy, why are you concerned about this? If you enjoy doing it, then do it, if not then go with what you like to do. Everybody needs to decide for themselves what a healthy weight is but on the BMI chart anything below 125 is underweight for you. Being healthy and having self-confidence are your ultimate goals. Good luck.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Sometimes you need a vacation from "all this". Maybe try to cut down a little here and there. See what happens. We can't really predict what your body will do, but I can predict you will burn yourself out if you keep pushing when you aren't motivated to do so. Maybe find a new activity to replace some of your other activity.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    3474449k wrote: »
    That sounds really thin for your height. I am 5'5" and am really thin at 132. If you were maintaining at around 10,000 steps, and are healthy, why are you concerned about this? If you enjoy doing it, then do it, if not then go with what you like to do. Everybody needs to decide for themselves what a healthy weight is but on the BMI chart anything below 125 is underweight for you. Being healthy and having self-confidence are your ultimate goals. Good luck.

This was my thought as well.
  • cocobot2013
    cocobot2013 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It is very thin for my height, and I'm okay with gaining like ten as long as its healthy weight. It's more of a mind game I guess. Ive been working on my all or nothing attitude. I know the scale shouldn't be such an influence, and as long as I feel good and I'm happy that's all that matters. But I'm the only one ever telling myself that. My friends and family say it time to time, but I guess I need more of a push from others lol. And I was eating less when I was less active, but I'm not going to feel like I'm restricting myself even if I cut my activity down, so I plan to continue with my usual eating. I've also been doing some strength training at the gym for a few months, and thought maybe this would be a good time to focus on doing heavier weights? Thank you for the replies! ❤ I've been thinking about posting this for a while now for feedback.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    since exercise is about health and not really weight loss, then its up to you. but at your height it seems like you are a little underweight-if you are still 115-125(my lowest weight at 5'6 1/2 should be no lower than 118.lm nowhere near that,I look sickly at 118).that aside, a caloric deficit is what contributes to weight loss even without exercise. if you want to cut back on exercise then do so. you shouldnt gain unless you eat over your maintenance calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    You are 5'9" and 115 to 125 pounds, that is quite the range. You are basically underweight as 125 would be the cut-off for being consider a normal weight. Frankly, the number of calories you are eating sounds low to me for you age and height. Going with a weight of 120 at you height and age sedentary (sitting all day pretty much) maintenance calories are around 1680 calories. For lightly active they are 1930. For moderately active they are 2175. For very active (exercising 6-7 days a week) they are 2420. For extremely active they are 2666. That is all to maintain a weight that is underweight. If you what to continue the sort of activity you are doing, which is at least moderately active, you need to eat more to have the energy to do it.

Having said that, what are your goals? You don't say.
  • cocobot2013
    Options
    My fitbit tells me I burn between 2,200,-2,700 a day. I'm scared to trust the numbers though and to fully eat them back. I was about 130-140 for a bit until a bad break up, ever since a few months after that I've been at a low weight. I guess I am realizing slowly to relax, and I need more energy for the things I do, but I also get a little obsessive over things, and have anxiety naturally so it doesn't help lol
  • rileysowner
    Options
    My fitbit tells me I burn between 2,200,-2,700 a day. I'm scared to trust the numbers though and to fully eat them back. I was about 130-140 for a bit until a bad break up, ever since a few months after that I've been at a low weight. I guess I am realizing slowly to relax, and I need more energy for the things I do, but I also get a little obsessive over things, and have anxiety naturally so it doesn't help lol

So what is your goal?
  • cocobot2013
    Options
    I guess ultimately to not be so ocd or obsessive about a number on a scale, or with food and counting calories. Just to feel and look healthy and be happy. Not to feel like my life is revolved around fitness and food most of the time if I'm not enjoying it like I should be.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I am no expert, but perhaps it is time 1) To admit you are underweight. 2) To get rid of the scale at least for a while say 4-6 months 3) Focus on specific exercise and nutrition goals say do a good progressive lifting program like stronglifts 5x5 or strong curves and eat at maintenance as based on either your fitbit or base on the TDEE charts out there for the healthy (not underweight) weight you want to be.
  • cocobot2013
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time for your feedback! I do realize that I am underweight, and I think I'll still weigh, I just like having data and to know what's going on, I don't want to feel super surprised if I completely avoid it and step on it one day lol. And how do I go about looking into those programs?
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time for your feedback! I do realize that I am underweight, and I think I'll still weigh, I just like having data and to know what's going on, I don't want to feel super surprised if I completely avoid it and step on it one day lol. And how do I go about looking into those programs?

There is a Stronglift group here, probably strong curves as well so you could search the group area. Google will get you the stronglifts program. There are a bunch of other ones out there as well. I guess my comment about the scale has more to do with switching your measure of progress from a number that is really rather arbitrary since it can change for many reasons other than fat gain or loss, to something like how you actually look in a mirror, or body measurements, or the like. I know somewhere on this site there is a post with a bunch of different lifting programs that you could try, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

There is a Stronglift group here, probably strong curves as well so you could search the group area. Google will get you the stronglifts program. There are a bunch of other ones out there as well. I guess my comment about the scale has more to do with switching your measure of progress from a number that is really rather arbitrary since it can change for many reasons other than fat gain or loss, to something like how you actually look in a mirror, or body measurements, or the like. I know somewhere on this site there is a post with a bunch of different lifting programs that you could try, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I think @psulemon is the one who posted that link of lifting programs,not sure though
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I think @psulemon is the one who posted that link of lifting programs,not sure though

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The lifting programs most touted for novice lifters are Starting Strength (SS), Stronglifts (SL), and The New Rule of Lifting for Women (NROLFW).

Any program that has you upping the weights in a logical manner - and for novices every session is within that realm - is a good one.

You'll look for a program that has what I've called the "Big Four" - Squat, bench press, overhead press, and deadlift - and an upper back accessory lift such as rows, pull ups, chins, or cleans.

Form wins over weight on the bar, always.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

thanks
  • cocobot2013
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thank you! Ill definitely be looking into that. Today was the first day off I can remember in almost 7 months I didn't immediately go walk and jog when I got up and then again in the afternoon. Took my time and cleaned my place, ran some errands, and then went out for a bit. I got my 10,000 so far so now I'm sitting and watching Netflix now
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Find an activity you LOVE.

Rock climbing
    Roller skating
    Tennis
    Hiking somewhere beautiful
    Dancing
    Kickboxing

Etc etc.

If it's something you WANT to do it won't feel like such a chore.