Sushi?

Options
I've had one piece of sushi in my whole entire life and I'm pretty sure it was a California Roll with soy sauce... I liked it! I don't know much about sushi either, but I'm almost positive it's a lot healthier than most food you would find at a Chinese or Japanese restaurant. I want to get it next time my family decides to eat Chinese. What kind of sushi do you usually get? What are it's nutritional values? (Calories, Fat, Protein, Fiber, etc.) Are there any kinds that are good for "beginners?" Anything about sushi in general would be terrific! :bigsmile:

Replies

• gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    sushi is my favorite! I love to go to the fish market and make it myself. :) If you are new to it, tuna and salmon are pretty beginner friendly. Avoid the spicy ones because they usually have mayo. and its high in sodium if you have soy sauce, which how can you not, its amazing. I like the "mexican" ones...usually yellowtail, with cilantro, jalepeno and avocado.

don't forget to try the cucumber salad, so gooooood!
  • StevenJS86
    StevenJS86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SUSHI!!!!!! In my opinion the Salmon Roll, Tuna Roll, and Yellow White Tail are the best in overall portions of calories....High in protein, good fats (mono & Poly) and with Salmon omega 3 acids, also they very low sodium because the rice is steamed and no additives other than rice, fish, and the plant they use to wrap it...obviously soy sauce will up the sodium but it is the BEST!!!!
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SUSHI!!!!!! In my opinion the Salmon Roll, Tuna Roll, and Yellow White Tail are the best in overall portions of calories....High in protein, good fats (mono & Poly) and with Salmon omega 3 acids, also they very low sodium because the rice is steamed and no additives other than rice, fish, and the plant they use to wrap it...obviously soy sauce will up the sodium but it is the BEST!!!!

Agreed. You might try sashimi (no rice) too.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I am a sushi junkie :) lol - i could and would eat it every day if i had it lol

salmon, crab and tuna rolls are delicious :) and i believe something you would really enjoy. you can get them with all kinds of different things like cucumber, cream cheese, carrots, avocado, you name it, they probably have a roll that has it. lol
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I just started eating sushi when I got on MFP a few months ago. I've definitely become a big believer. My favorite is the spicy tuna roll. An 8 piece roll is between 300-400 calories most places.
  • naneunyeppeuda
    Options
    I absolutely love sushi!~ A california roll has crab meat in it~ You should see if you can eat raw fish like salmon or tuna. I also love rolls with shrimp tempura (it's fried so it's probs not good for you...) in them. SO GOOD! But it all depends on what you like. :]
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am a sushi junkie :) lol - i could and would eat it every day if i had it lol

salmon, crab and tuna rolls are delicious :) and i believe something you would really enjoy. you can get them with all kinds of different things like cucumber, cream cheese, carrots, avocado, you name it, they probably have a roll that has it. lol

Im a junkie too.. i could eat it every day... and its actually pretty healthy!!
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    Simple rolls like tuna and salmon rolls tend to be lower calorie compared to exotic stuff like rainbow rolls. A good rule of thumb would be the more stuff they put in it, obviously the more calories they will have. Cali rolls aren't too bad. The other 3 I just mentioned are staples for me as well, but rainbow is pretty high-cal.. but it's so good!! =)

Soy sauce can be pretty salty, so try to limit the dipping. MFP app has a good number of roll types if you're trying to build a meal, so you could try and find a menu and search what you'd like to order and see if it fits into your diet.

Also, eat sushi SLOW.. I know it doesn't look like much so you might be tempted to dive in, but that rice has a way of expanding in your stomach after a while.. bloat...blah!
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    Don't eat sushi from Chinese food places, it's not real sushi!! I know a lot of people that were turned off to sushi by eating nasty chinese buffet sushi.

I love all types of sushi & sashimi :) My favorites are fatty tuna and salmon, they taste almost buttery and have a really nice texture. If you're not ready for raw stuff, a good choice would be to stick with california rolls and other rolls that are similar (they have cooked crab but no raw fish), even if you want a little raw fish in a roll it might make you more confident since it's in a nice little package instead of a slab of fish :P They also have sushi pieces that are cooked--one of my husband's favorites is BBQ's Eel, really good!
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    Tempura rolls are so good, but they're fried & not necessarily good for you... but they're so tasty. Shrimp tempura is seriously my weakness when it comes to sushi.

I'm so glad you posted this thread because I JUST asked a coworker about sushi & the nutritional values today. Like... an hour and a half ago, quite literally. I'm so glad you brought this up!

I'll have to try a spicy tuna roll next time since everyone seems to be talking about it, although my favorite is the american dream roll which has avacado, shrimp tempura (I KNOW! IT'S BAD - SHOOT ME), a little cream cheese, roe, rice, conch, & seaweed. SO so so tasty.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

i usually get an eel and avocado roll with a cucumber or shiitake mushroom roll. nom. tuna and crunchy asparagus is also good. yellowtail rolls with coconut, mango or strawberries are usually tasty. i don't like raw salmon (but love it cooked with spicy mayo). also not a fan of anything tempera. gag.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

i usually get an eel and avocado roll with a cucumber or shiitake mushroom roll. nom. tuna and crunchy asparagus is also good. yellowtail rolls with coconut, mango or strawberries are usually tasty. i don't like raw salmon (but love it cooked with spicy mayo). also not a fan of anything tempera.
    YES. Thank you for posting this.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    The menu will tell you what's in it and on top. Steer clear of "tempura" and "crunchy".

I really like tuna, yellowtail, and salmon. Not so fond of spicy mayo or eel sauce.

The green lidded soy sauce is low sodium - it also has a more mild flavor, so you can better taste what you're eating, which is super healthy deliciousness!!
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    Don't eat sushi from Chinese food places, it's not real sushi!! I know a lot of people that were turned off to sushi by eating nasty chinese buffet sushi.

I love all types of sushi & sashimi :) My favorites are fatty tuna and salmon, they taste almost buttery and have a really nice texture. If you're not ready for raw stuff, a good choice would be to stick with california rolls and other rolls that are similar (they have cooked crab but no raw fish), even if you want a little raw fish in a roll it might make you more confident since it's in a nice little package instead of a slab of fish :P They also have sushi pieces that are cooked--one of my husband's favorites is BBQ's Eel, really good!

OMG - I forgot to mention that- NEVER EVER HAVE *BUFFETT* SUSHI!!!!!! Not only have I had too many food poisoning cases where my clients ate at one and got miserably sick, Sushi is an art form- mass production is for chicken nuggets http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/04/mechanically-separated-meat-chicken-mcnugget-photo_n_749893.html

Definetly sit at the bar and watch them make it- not only is it cool, but when you see all fresh ingredients, you feel ever better about what you are eating. Rice, fresh fish, veggies- you can't go wrong. Unless it's fried ;-)

Thank you for telling me that! I don't plan to eat it at a buffet, because they do have a seperate sushi bar, but I know that they do serve it at their buffet!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Go sashimi. Rolls have lots of rice, typically white rice. Calories add up very quick.
  • colbiegirl
    Options
    What about eating sushi as a meal? Is that a good idea or is it too high in calories? I'm reading on this website that some of the rolls have 100 calories or more per roll. Not very good if I eat 4 rolls or so.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I ♥ sushi...i hate the calories in them. unless you stick to the basic rolls or sashimi, the calories can be outrageous!

Heres a whole chart dedicated to the calories in them:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/maryy/eng/calorie.htm
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You missed that text above the listing - there is some confusion with rolls - the nutritional info is for the whole roll. Those 6-8 pieces you're served are made at once in one big roll then sliced into the little pieces that you eat.

I love maki, or rolls. Tuna, salmon, eel - are are wonderful! As someone else said, the menus typically tell you what's in the roll.

If you're worried about calories, definitely avoid anything with tempura oh, someone already said that too, I think). Most of the spicy rolls do have cream cheese or something similar in them but some don't so just check what the menu says.

Also, if you see roe listed, that's the fish eggs. They're actually pretty good and have an interesting texture.
  • colbiegirl
    Options
    You missed that text above the listing - there is some confusion with rolls - the nutritional info is for the whole roll. Those 6-8 pieces you're served are made at once in one big roll then sliced into the little pieces that you eat.

I love maki, or rolls. Tuna, salmon, eel - are are wonderful! As someone else said, the menus typically tell you what's in the roll.

If you're worried about calories, definitely avoid anything with tempura oh, someone already said that too, I think). Most of the spicy rolls do have cream cheese or something similar in them but some don't so just check what the menu says.

Also, if you see roe listed, that's the fish eggs. They're actually pretty good and have an interesting texture.

Oh, okay! I've only seen you know, little rolls of sushi. So it's not a bad meal idea, I guess, huh? :)