Bed time snack!

Options
What is a good snack to have in the evening and how soon before bed should it be eaten?

Replies

• SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've heard you're not suppose to eat after 7PM but I always have a loe fat yogurt or suagr free jello pudding before bed.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    something light . either wheat thins, fruit, a drink whatever. Just as long as it stays within your calorie goals and others snack on :)
  • ms_luciana
    ms_luciana Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't know that its that great for you.. but its low-cal-- the Jello chocolate pudding 60-cal packs are amazing good! Also, when I was talking to a trainer at the Y, she said a great way to get the last bit of your calories in, if you need them, is to mix up some chocolate milk :)
  • SweetStrawberry
    Options
    Nothing! Drink water lots and lots of water! It really works. I wake up the next morning not hungry and ready to do my workouts!
  • LDowning02
    LDowning02 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cottage cheese, fresh fruit and granola.
    My daughters push me more towards sugar-free popsicles.

My general physician once told me not to eat 4 hours before going to sleep and avoid carbohydrates within the said time frame. I try to follow his guidelines, but don't beat myself up on days things slack.

It's all about doing our best to improve and keeping a positive attutide while conquering our goals.
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I get hungry after seven, because I eat dinner around 5, and stay up till about 1 in the morning (it's summer :D).
    After 7 though, I only eat food not packaged...My favorites being carrots because it annoys everyone in the room with the loud crunching, or an apple as it feels you up...and is so much chewing work you don't want to eat more of anything...: /
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Piece of fruit. Slice of whole grain toast. A couple carrot sticks with hummus. Something small that isn't full of garbage, but that satisfies your snack craving :)
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cottage cheese, fresh fruit and granola.
    My daughters push me more towards sugar-free popsicles.

My general physician once told me not to eat 4 hours before going to sleep and avoid carbohydrates within the said time frame. I try to follow his guidelines, but don't beat myself up on days things slack.

It's all about doing our best to improve and keeping a positive attutide while conquering our goals.
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Nothing! Drink water lots and lots of water! It really works. I wake up the next morning not hungry and ready to do my workouts!
    I tried that...And to be honest it makes me pee way to much(haha).
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I always eat right before I go to bed - if I don't, I wake up starving in the middle of the night (and then I eat crap). I've read a lot of articles that say not eating before bed isn't as much about NOT eating as it is about WHAT you're eating. Since most people tend to be snacky at night and eat junk -- they say not eating is better. But, if you're eating something healthy - go right ahead. You still burn calories and your body still digests food while you're sleeping.

I've been known to eat a bowl of cereal before bed. Or some fruit. Some almonds. Cottage cheese. It varies what I eat before bed - I've lost 60lbs and have been maintaining for quite awhile.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    PINEAPPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **wink** and its good for ya
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy low fat cottage cheese and FRESH fruit. I have lost 92 pds. since August 1st of last year and work out at least 5 days a week. I am proof that it does'nt matter about what time you eat before bed. I don't think you should have a heavy meal before calling it a night, but as far as snacks, I eat up til sometimes an hour before I go to bed. Just keep it within your daily calorie intake and do your exercises, you'll be fine.
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's hard to sleep when you are hungry. I like to have a piece of high fiber bread with a little peanut butter on it if I am really hungry. I think it is fine to eat before bed if you don't go over your allotted calories. Hope you find something that works for you! :smile:
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    I get hungry after seven, because I eat dinner around 5, and stay up till about 1 in the morning (it's summer :D).
    After 7 though, I only eat food not packaged...My favorites being carrots because it annoys everyone in the room with the loud crunching, or an apple as it feels you up...and is so much chewing work you don't want to eat more of anything...: /

I like your idea of nothing packaged after 7. I usually eat dinner sometime after 8 so for me eating before bed is not an option..but not snacking on anything packaged is a great way to make sure what I am eating is better for me.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Great ideas and YES it is hard to sleep when you are hungry. Thanks y'all:wink:
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    It's hard to sleep when you are hungry. I like to have a piece of high fiber bread with a little peanut butter on it if I am really hungry. I think it is fine to eat before bed if you don't go over your allotted calories. Hope you find something that works for you! :smile:

I often eat peanut butter and toast too or fruit before going to bed. I'm a night owl and we usually eat around 6 so I get hungry. I use to eat cereal, but if I do that now it has to be dry as the milk gives me a stomach ache.
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    PINEAPPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **wink** and its good for ya

Ha ha!! Excellent choice!
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    I have tea!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are, however meal timing is irrelevant. It also does not matter if you eat late at night. The entire eating late at night myth was already debunked.
  • syreetahasting
    Options
    I have been told that eating at night is really not that bad as long as it isn't a four coarse meal...Have something light, your body burns calories even when you are sleeping :smile: