Do you get up early to exercise? Or after work etc?

Options
I'm a teacher as is my wife. We have a wonderful nearly 5 year old daughter. We both struggle with the excuse of not having time. As a working adult with family, what do you do? Is it mornings every weekday? Some morning some evening? What seems to work for you and why do you think it's been successful? Also, if morning, how long did it take you to get over the waking up much earlier? Thanks for info everyone!

Replies

• JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm an empty-nester, so don't have the constraint of children. But I have learned that I need to literally schedule my time at the gym so that it doesn't get bypassed by the other busy things in life. If it's on my calendar, I will go do it. I belong to a 24-hr place and I'm a night owl so often go late night. It's so quiet then, it's almost like my private gym--but I know that doesn't work for most people. I just do anything to avoid the after-work/dinner time when it gets packed.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both work full time and have 3 kids (9,7 & 5). I usually find I can usually squeeze in 3 afternoon sessions a week (2 weekday 1 weekend). ATM extra sleep by sleeping in has been necessary to catch up on sleep too.

I have done the whole 5am, 5 days a week thing. Once I got going (probably week 2) it was ok but interruptions to my week could blow it easily. Once I missed one morning it was easy to continue missing. Also leading up to xmas its more difficult as late nights are more common with events on.

That being said where I live is hotter this time of year and when I do work back up to 5 sessions a week realistically mornings make sense for temp and consistency.

We have found it difficult to both balance exercise/work/family. I am more prone to picking up exercise habits so when my DH starts something I tend to make it a priority (also his exercise is more set classes, I am more a loner for exercise). As kids get older and can look after themselves for brief periods this will probably get easier.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person. I work from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. M-F and rarely take a lunch. My gym is a 15 min drive from my office. What works for me is to head to the bathroom about 4:45 and change into workout clothes at the office and head straight to the gym. If I go home I am NOT leaving the house again. Hubby meets me there and we work out together. We don't have kids which helps but this is the only way I found to stick to a routine. We go M, T, Th and then Sat/Sun.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Also given you have 1 and she's not a toddler you could probably look at group classes where kids are welcome to sit/watch/participate. I did bootcamps previously where this was fine (I was only taking older 2 kids with me) they just played in sight while I exercised. Unfortunately with a younger one or when I have all 3 there's too many interruptions due to fighting or younger one just needing more supervision/attention.
  • hooligan41
    hooligan41 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike at night for exercise
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I work 8-4, so getting up earlier isn't an option so I work out when I get home before I make dinner.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have always been a morning person. I get up and do 45 min of stretching in my livingroom at least 3 times a week. Then I eat a light breakfast and go to the pool or gym. I have OA plus I'm 61, so this works for me. You just have to find what works and then do it--no excuses. However, setting up a lifelong routine of exercise is your friend as you age. I've been doing this for 20 yrs and can't even imagine giving it up. It is a priority. Your child will grow up and things change, but make your health an important part of your life. You will be so grateful at my age--and beyond.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I wake up 6.10 to do a 30 min workout. I leave the house at 7.30 and walk to work (50+ min) and in the evening back (a 9km roundtrip)
    Two nights a week I come home and go to the gym (which has a childminder too) All I do at home is get changed and get out straight away.
    Normal for us would be a run for my husband on Sunday with me cycling. Due to his injury this is low now. I now have to use that time for study (doing a post grad course).
    We walk whenever we can - to the stores and to family visits. I have home gym stuff, which I want to utilise more
    On top of this both my husband and I work (him 40 hours, me currently 32), which for both of us includes international travel on a reasonably regular bais. I study (one day a week class, plus a lot of homework).

Where did I find the time? Well by reducing non-purpose downtime and gettibg some help. TV time is no more than 60 minutes a day on average, internet about the same. And with all that I still find time for hobbies (sewing and knitting). It helps that we have a cleaning help and no kids.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I started getting up early 4 yrs ago and that habit has stuck :smile: best way to start the day :smiley:
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Early am here as well. If I wait longer I might talk myself out of it lol.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    I incorporate exercise throughout my day.

I walk as part of my commute to and from work.
    I walk at lunch.
    I walk after work.

I climb flights and flights of stairs at different times during the day at work.

Sometimes I lift weights and/or cycle after work too.

And then I do the bulk of my exercise on weekends.
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Morning from 4-5am. It gets my day going (I have 3 kids). After work, I am typically running the kids to their activities. On those days, I walk while they are practicing.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:08 am every morning. But I don't exercise that early..lol..I can barely manage to get dressed!
  • stationlouisa
    stationlouisa Posts: 150 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My main exercise is walking, I work split shifts so early morning and evenings at work. I have 3 dogs so do 2 -3 walks with them 1-4km each during the middle of the day. But for my own walks I do them as soon as I finish work before going home. 3-6km. Now that it is daylight savings I also do a short after work walk in the evening, before going home. The trick I find is dont go home first or you risk not doing anything. I could never get the routine of getting up early for exercise, I get up with the bare minimum amount of time to wash dress and leave the house. Perhaps you could pick up your daughter after work/school and head straight of to the nearest park etc and walk or jog with a stroller before heading home. So it becomes a family outing/routine. Do whatever works for you. Good luck.

• Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    All great info here folks! You early risers, what time do you get in bed the nights before those 5am (or earlier) wake up calls? Do you ever feel absolutely drained right after lunch when doing this?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I need to go to bed by 9:30 at the latest, or I feel horrible the whole next day. Even then, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open after 9..