Women- do you run alone?

Options
Just watched a segment on Good Morning America, basically advising women not to run alone. This has always been an issue, but is in the news now in light of recent events such as the kidnapped mom and others.

It just makes me mad. Every piece of advice they give is not a concession I want to make. I don't WANT to run with other people. I don't WANT to give up my music. And I'm a poster child for a potential victim. I do run in my neighborhood, but I mostly LOVE to run on trails, alone. Now...I'm a bit more paranoid about my woods-runs and don't use the headphones out there. That, and carrying pepper spray, is about all I'm willing to do. I find I'm giving up dark runs which means, at this time of year, I'm pretty much not running.

What do others do to feel safe? Is this just a risk we take? It just makes me mad to be made to feel afraid to do a perfectly legit activity and just because I'm female. I don't know whether to be mad at the media for perhaps blowing it out of proportion.

Just a rant, I guess. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Nowadays, I run with my husband, but not out of fear of running alone; it's just what we do. When he was away (military) I would run alone if it was just around the neighborhood, but I took my German Shepherd on the trail because I live in a rural area and who knows who or what is in those woods.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I run alone, in the dark. I tell someone where I'm going and how long I expect to be out for, remove my earphones when it feels wise to, stay in better-lit/better-surfaced areas, make sure I'm wearing something bright or reflective, and take my phone with me.

I'm more afraid of getting injured and stranded somewhere than anything else. I think about my personal safety, of course, but I'm loathed to live in fear and lose my freedoms because of crime. At the end of the day, women and girls are more at risk of harm from their male partners, friends and family members than they are from a random on the street. I am stubborn (and possibly quite naive), but I won't give up things I enjoy in response to a threat.

That has been my frame of mind all along. It's what I will tell friends and family who like to warn me (scare me is more like it). But after a while you start to think....gee, I don't know, AM I being stupid here?
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful to live in a place where violent crimes against women are almost none existing.

But first and foremost.. You should not give up something you love cause of a potential thread from a stranger. Keep doing it your way but maybe add a GPS watch or things like the kids have with a button to alert someone if something happens.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I run alone and sometimes I wonder if that's a dumb idea. I am a firm believer in trusting my gut and if something feels off or weird.. I get out of there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just watched a segment on Good Morning America, basically advising women not to run alone. This has always been an issue, but is in the news now in light of recent events such as the kidnapped mom and others.

It just makes me mad. Every piece of advice they give is not a concession I want to make. I don't WANT to run with other people. I don't WANT to give up my music. And I'm a poster child for a potential victim. I do run in my neighborhood, but I mostly LOVE to run on trails, alone. Now...I'm a bit more paranoid about my woods-runs and don't use the headphones out there. That, and carrying pepper spray, is about all I'm willing to do. I find I'm giving up dark runs which means, at this time of year, I'm pretty much not running.

What do others do to feel safe? Is this just a risk we take? It just makes me mad to be made to feel afraid to do a perfectly legit activity and just because I'm female. I don't know whether to be mad at the media for perhaps blowing it out of proportion.

Just a rant, I guess. Thanks for listening.

i'm not in the US, but i do run alone. i don't run with music though for awareness/safety. i do run in the dark - as it is dark by 4.30pm at the moment so i don't have a choice after work. my runs are all on roads - some busy some not, not sure if that makes it more or less safe really.
  • SeeJacRun1
    SeeJacRun1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe running alone is no different than any other thing women do solo, whether its world travel or driving dark and isolated roads at night, etc. I don't like to be told how to behave, either. I still do these things, I just try to be smart about it.

I am grateful to live in a town where stranger crimes are virtually nonexistent. In the dark winter months I prefer to stay on the main, lighted streets. I avoid trails and unlit areas of neighborhoods. In the daylight I run wherever I want to. I used to take pepper spray with me (yes even in my 'safe' town). I adopted a dog a few years ago and he is my bodyguard now. Trust your gut; if you feel sketched out using headphones, then don't.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I run alone when I do go run.

Sometimes I feel uncomfortable- and I NEVER run with music. EVER. it's just not safe IMHO- I live in an urban area- and down from a very questionable urban area- and a highschool. I rarely feel truly unsafe- but I am always extremely conscious of approaching foot traffic.

I also run in a particular manner- I run hard enough to be training- but never so hard that I couldn't sprint if I didn't need to.

Sprints happen only near my home- or in a park near my car.

I plan exit routes when I run and as I travel- if someone is approaching- or a car is following- I look at my options and adjust as need be.

I let someone know when I leave- and when I expect to be back- and the rough trajectory of where I am going (on my long runs)- short runs are only 4 miles or less- so easy to get that in and know where I am.

Awareness I think is key to flying solo.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    mltrades wrote: »
    I'm more afraid of getting hit by a car than attacked. The reality vs what the media sensationalizes are quite different.
    Me too. If I didn't do A LOT of things alone (with or without a dog or two), I would lead a very sheltered life. I live and run on a quiet, rural road. My neighbors know me, my landlord often sees me go out on my runs or walks with the dogs and often checks in if he doesn't see me return (and doesn't notice I'm home). I am far more concerned about the people who drive like idiots than anything else. Maybe if I lived in a area with more crime I'd be concerned, but I'm not at the moment.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I hear you -- it's frustrating for me too.

I do run alone. I live in an urban area with a lot of people about and generally feel safe running there. I run in an area that has lots of walkers and runners and I do usually wear headphones. I don't run in the dark (except once a week when I'm with a group of other people for an early AM run) and I always let my husband know when I expect to be back. I do consider cars to be more of a practical danger than other people, but I'm very aware of where other people are and where I would go if there was an issue.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I live in a mid-sized city of approximately 1 million and I do run alone, but I do it during the day as much as possible and I don't go anywhere secluded. I mostly just run through nearby neighbourhoods, no quiet trails, nothing without sidewalks or paths. I do wear headphones but they allow ambient noise in (not noise-cancelling) and I keep my music at a moderate volume.

I don't typically run outside at night unless it's somewhere with lots of people, and I do have one of those apps on my phone that texts my husband if I stop moving and don't pause it which I use if I'm going out early or late or somewhere where no one would hear me if I needed help.

I'm not paranoid but I'm a city girl and I've had enough bad experiences to be cautious, and I choose not to take unnecessary risks. I don't walk outside alone at night in quiet places either and stick to more major roads and that kind of thing.

ETA: we also just got a puppy this week and I hope that by this time next year I can be training him to be a good running buddy, which would make me feel more confident about running in parks/trails.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I go backpacking in the wilderness alone. Don't let Good Morning America fill you with fear. Yes... there are dangers, but statistics are on your side. It is highly likely you will be fine. Just be aware and have a reaction plan.
  • DaisukeYuki
    DaisukeYuki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I spent a whole summer's worth of very long morning walks and it was fantastic. Once it started getting dark and I still wished to continue, I finally caved into friends/ family/ boyfriend's requests to start using cardio equipment at my gym instead.

Plus side? No longer walking and challenging myself to 5k's on a crosstrainer to get fitter and stronger a few times a week. Downside? Not nearly as engaging as being outside and sweaty gym-goers lol.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There is a river trail that passes through our city and it is pretty isolated in parts. The homeless people live down there and there are a lot of them. It goes by some rough neighborhoods too.
    One bicyclist came around a corner down there, not too long ago, and came face-to-face with a guy holding an automatic weapon and standing right in the middle of the trail. Needless to say, this bicyclist relinquished his wheels without much protest.
    I often see women running alone down there, and I see that many of them run with headphones in, which seems particularly unwise.
    I often want to say something. But I don't. I hate it when strangers try to tell me how, or how not, to do something. And, women already get harassed with wolf whistles and comments so I figure they don't need me adding to it.
    Still, it worries me....it bugs me.....At least, if they did not wear earbuds they could hear if someone tried to sneak up and they would have more time to react, to run away and/or scream...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely never walk or run alone on a trail. Nope. On busy. lighted streets or parks (there are a couple here that are a sidewalk around a lake and there are always lots of people) and during the day on streets or in those parks, sure. And I wear headphones, but also keep them low enough I can hear things and am aware of my surroundings.

But no way, no how on a trail unless maybe I had a large dog. I don't need the media to tell me that's a bad idea.

It sucks, but there will always be bad people in the world looking for victims and I don't intend to be one if I can help it. I'm not risking my life for spite.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    If I paid attention to the news, I'd never get out. I live in Chicago, which most people think is a dangerous city with shootings on every corner. Every neighborhood has crime, but it can happen when you're walking home from the store, the bus stop, in your car or on the train. I'm not a fan of running in the dark because our sidewalks are often uneven and I don't want to trip and hurt myself and I'm also afraid of a car hitting me. I was out a few months ago in the daylight, had a bright hat on and crossed the street at a stop sign..almost got hit by a driver not paying attention rolling through the intersection.

• KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'm a scared sort of person anyway but I think it's true I don't do half the things I want to out of fear. I think it's good that most of you do it anyway. I stopped leaving for walks/joggs when a car almost ran me over and I feel like they did it on purpose. Bad drivers scare me the most. I could never run/walk with earbuds, that distracts me but I solved that by just blasting regular earphones on my shoulders but that wouldn't work for someone doing rigorous exercise. :/ The world is always going to be somewhat dangerous I suppose. Even when you take every precaution. So you might as well do what you want.