Women- do you run alone?

Options

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I run alone but then I live in the city so there's always people around in the early mornings. I feel safe enough.
  • amandawassink
    amandawassink Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will not run alone. I know there is a 95% chance that I would be safe if I went alone.... But I am not willing to take that 5% chance that it's not safe. If I had a dog with me, I would feel more safe. However, that is not an option. It's quite boring but I instead choose to do at home exercises/cardio by using work out DVDs or the treadmill. I personally feel safer that way. Totally unfair for us women!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I run alone. Most of my routes are on streets which are well-populated with other runners; one advantage of living close to the Boston Marathon route. I don't run at night but that's more to do with traffic concerns (there's a reason Boston drivers are called Massholes) rather than dodgy people. And I've never worn headphones, not for safety reasons, but because I prefer listening to what's around me.

For longer runs I'll take my phone, but I usually don't bother. I wear a Road ID, and my husband has a good idea of where I am and how long I'll be out.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I run alone, in the dark, with headphones. I pay attention to my surroundings but refuse to live in fear.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There's this GPS based cell phone app called Lifeline Response where, once you set it, if you take your thumb off the screen for something like 20 seconds without entering your disarm code, it alerts a response center.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I run alone, in the dark, with headphones. Mine do not block sounds much at all because they don't fit in my ears. I am fortunate that where I run has a few people no matter what time of day or night. It's a well-known and -populated trail and there are houses on one side or the other for much of the way, so if I were to be injured or chased I can probably get to shelter quickly.

However, there's always the potential for crime wherever and whenever you go. This past summer a former college football player had some kind of breakdown and stormed down to a portion of the trail that's north of where I run with a machete. Killed a jogger in front of witnesses in broad daylight. I mean, what are you going to do to avoid that kind of random thing? Nothing.

Be prepared as best you can (whatever precautions you are comfortable taking) and go about your business. I wouldn't avoid doing something unless there's a good chance (not a rare chance) that there will be trouble.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I run alone, however, I run my neighborhood loop which is only .5 miles around. I feel weird running by the same people a million times on a run but at any given moment I am within 2.5 minutes of my house. That and all the neighbors know me and I go only when it is light. I live in a very safe area, but I am fully aware that abductions, rapes, assaults, etc happen in even the perceived safest of places.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood alone at 0400-ish, but I try to vary time/route, I avoid the main drag, I listen to audio books, I leave a note, and am aware of my surroundings. I also take note of what houses have lights on as I go (i.e., someone's awake in there), just on case.
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    There's this GPS based cell phone app called Lifeline Response where, once you set it, if you take your thumb off the screen for something like 20 seconds without entering your disarm code, it alerts a response center.

OMG, I would accidently set that thing off 20 times on an average run... I'd just have to have muffins at the ready for the daily LE response...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I run alone, preferably in the dark as I find it more relaxing. So far I have tracked runs in the UK, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Iran, Indonesia and Spain. The worst thing that ever happened was tripping over a metal bar sticking out of a sidewalk in the UAE, which sent me flying quite badly and resulted in a bleeding knee and two sprained thump joints. Oh, and getting an asthma attack some 4-5 miles away from home, no mobile phone signal and no inhaler with me as it only happens about once per year. I now have a little magnetic pouch in which I store my inhaler.

I don't run with music though as it distracts from enjoying the run for me.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't typically run in the dark, but that's more because I'm worried about coyotes or tripping and falling.
  • joyf51
    joyf51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog and a GPS app.
  • LoggingLikePaulBunyan
    Options
    I used to run alone at night all the time until some guy said "you run at night? If I'd known that i probably would've attacked you" haha.. I'm not sure if he was serious or not.. but now I run w my dog or wear clothing that makes me look more male. But I have a large frame for a female so it's easy, and practiced in self defense. Honestly tho.. be careful, better safe than sorry. And I have been followed on more than one occasion.. always know where to go if you're in that situation.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't run or walk alone. I take my dog, and thankfully a German Shepherd is a great deterrent. I still try to remain vigilant.
  • ceridavies1991
    ceridavies1991 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it depends I how you feel personally. I have a treadmil as I can't get out much with children but I think i would be uneasy running alone in the dark but I'm the day I would be fine x
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    "It's a dangerous business...going out your front door."
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Briantime wrote: »
    My wife runs with her friends: Smith and Wesson.

THIS!!
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    At the end of the day, women and girls are more at risk of harm from their male partners, friends and family members than they are from a random on the street.

My brain knows this but I still get all creeped out when I run alone in the dark.

• str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think common sense is the best defense you can have not just while running but in general. Be aware of your surrounding. Do not look like a victim. I run with ear buds but the music is never loud enough that I cannot hear someone or something coming up on me. I always look ahead and behind me frequently, not out of paranoia but out of being aware of what is going on around me. Never give up what you love for someone else.