Today or Tomorrow

So curious question if you eat pass midnight and have not slept yet do you clock it in for the next day? What is everyone's opinions and what do you? Personally, I just log it in that daym since I didn't go to sleep it's still the same day to me.

Replies

• LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    I work 6pm to 6am and used to log everything I ate from the time I woke up until the time I went to sleep on the date I went to sleep. I got a fitbit a few weeks ago and due to the devices inability to set a different reset time other than midnight I started logging my foods on the days I eat them. It's been weird but I think I'm finally getting used to it. In your situation, I'd do the same thing you did.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    A "day" in myfitnesspal is anything between you waking up and going to bed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Since I prelog about 8 AM every morning for my whole day I would log everything I planned to eat in my waking hours on the same day.
    Doesn't really matter what day you record it. Look at your weekly calories and stay in a deficit.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    I'm rarely up past midnight, I log what I eat from when I wake up until I fall asleep.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    My logs are midnight to midnight, so if I eat after midnight I will log it as the "next day." As long as you're consistently logging it, it doesn't really matter -- just personal preference.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    If I eat past midnight it goes to the next day (or, that day, since it's after midnight).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Doesn't matter, do it however works best for you. Your body doesn't have a clock inside that stops at midnight, tallies your calories and decides whether you put on or lose weight. Energy intake/expenditure is a continuous cycle with no start/stop points.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    So curious question if you eat pass midnight and have not slept yet do you clock it in for the next day? What is everyone's opinions and what do you? Personally, I just log it in that daym since I didn't go to sleep it's still the same day to me.

My opinion is that it doesn't really matter...your body doesn't reset at midnight...I tend to look at things over the course of a week and even months...my net position over time is what is important, not the day to day minutia.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    I agree with @cwolfman13 - it makes no difference as long as you log it.

Personally - a day for me is from when I wake up until I go to sleep, so I would log it on today's log.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Personal preference. I log wake to sleep as a day - even if it were to go past midnight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I used to do that...but my schedule tends to change frequently, so for the sake of consistency, I changed so I just log midnight-to-midnight.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Midnight to midnight, but I try (and often fail) to not eat late night.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I don't nap in the afternoon. Between rising from bed in the morning to retiring to bed in the evening is one day of logging, even if it goes past midnight.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    edited November 2016
    One other point of view is think of your weekly calories (your calories allotment x 7) and just make sure you stay under from week to week. Use Sunday at midnight as a marker. Then take your total amount logged in a week and divide it by 7 for an average daily calorie intake. As long as you are on average on your target calories, you wont see a huge mess up. Dieting is 50% mental so use a tool to keep you focused. If you eat a lot in 36 hours without sleep, just make your next few meals light.

That being said, midnight to midnight is also a good tool to use while you go day to day
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    I log each day as everything I consumed between getting up and going to sleep. It's not unusual for me to eat or drink something after midnight.