Poll

thisonetimeatthegym
thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
edited November 2016 in Chit-Chat
1) Are you a planner person?

2) What kind of planner do you use?

3) Are you a lister, bullet point journaler, to do or got done, minimalist or creative?

4) Post a pic if you are so inclined, especially if you have charts or other original ways you use yours.

My answers.

1) yes 2) I like leather bound and spiral 3) all of the above, except I'm more minimalist with the "extras" - no "sticker vomit" on my pages, because I like it clean and not too busy, but I do like a little washi tape.

Replies

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I always use planners because it is very important not to schedule myself to work when I have some fun activity planned. Can't miss that.
    Doesn't matter what kind of planner, as long as it is a 'daily' planner.
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    The only planner I use is for work. I log food/workouts on MFP.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Everything I do is electronic.. except I still use hand written grocery lists..
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    I use two monitors covered in post-its

HA! That's exactly what my wife does lol.

All electronic between 4 devices for me.
  • All electronic here as well.....
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I just write everything on my hand with a blue pen.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    I'm considering a new type this year. Have anyone used these?

http://www.meandmybigideas.com/thehappyplanner/
  • Grey_1
    edited November 2016

similar, I didn't like it, primarily lugging it around. I'm an advocate of MS onenote, or Evernote, or the like. They're fantastic programs. Everything can be itemized according to just about whatever you want, dated/tagged/edited/drawn on/links/videos/web pages attached etc. There's also a function to sync with various calendars..

Just watch out for onenote if you're going to get content heavy. No local storage, it's been deprecated, so every time you open it, it will want to sync to the cloud, which can get annoying real fast.

Oh, you can also sync between devices.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    calendar.google.com & Garmin smart watch.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    edited November 2016
    Grey_1 wrote: »

similar, I didn't like it, primarily lugging it around. I'm an advocate of MS onenote, or Evernote, or the like. They're fantastic programs. Everything can be itemized according to just about whatever you want, dated/tagged/edited/drawn on/links/videos/web pages attached etc. There's also a function to sync with various calendars..

Just watch out for onenote if you're going to get content heavy. No local storage, it's been deprecated, so every time you open it, it will want to sync to the cloud, which can get annoying real fast.

I like OneNote because you can pull stuff off the internet to reference later. But I tried having to do lists and schedules and it was just too clunky. It is so much easier to turn to a paper page you regularly access and make a check mark.

Plus there is the tactical aspect that is so satisfying. Writing physically has been shown to increase goal achievement and recall.

I feel you on the lugging around thing. The one I have is very slim, but the one I want is quite bulky, because I want more room to write than I have now. But it is customizable, so you can carry only the parts you want, so you can carry a few months of pages instead of the whole year if you want.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    1) Are you a planner person?

2) What kind of planner do you use?

3) Are you a lister, bullet point journaler, to do or got done, minimalist or creative?

4) Post a pic if you are so inclined, especially if you have charts or other original ways you use yours.

My answers.

1) yes 2) I like leather bound and spiral 3) all of the above, except I'm more minimalist with the "extras" - no "sticker vomit" on my pages, because I like it clean and not too busy, but I do like a little washi tape.

1) Yes, 2) FranklinCovey; Yes, I know it's very old school but it works for me 3) Yes - I'm a list maker, a bullet point journaler and very much a minimalist in my planner. I plan and prioritize to a certain extent via my calendar; I try and make sure I take the time for the important stuff.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    I'm an obsessive planner and list maker. I started using a bullet journal for the first time this summer and it's really helped me stay on track with exercise, remembering to take my vitamins, and keep my life more organised. I overeat when I'm stressed so it's helped with that too!
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 wrote: »

I like OneNote because you can pull stuff off the internet to reference later. But I tried having to do lists and schedules and it was just too clunky. It is so much easier to turn to a paper page you regularly access and make a check mark.

Plus there is the tactical aspect that is so satisfying. Writing physically has been shown to increase goal achievement and recall.

I feel you on the lugging around thing. The one I have is very slim, but the one I want is quite bulky, because I want more room to write than I have now. But it is customizable, so you can carry only the parts you want, so you can carry a few months of pages instead of the whole year if you want.
    That may just be the ticket for you then. I spend many hours a week out in all kinds of weather, so the voice to text is invaluable to me on my iphone. Paper and pen wouldn't last long in that lol.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    EauRouge1 wrote: »
    I'm an obsessive planner and list maker. I started using a bullet journal for the first time this summer and it's really helped me stay on track with exercise, remembering to take my vitamins, and keep my life more organised. I overeat when I'm stressed so it's helped with that too!

Do you think bullet journaling is too time consuming? Like drawing your own squares and calendars?

I like the ease of a planner, but the flexibility and customizable nature of a bullet journal. I want a hybrid mix of the two.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Mine doesn't look anything like the fancy ones on Instagram! It's pretty basic. It's taken a few goes to find out a layout that works for me but it doesn't take tons of drawing to make my weekly layout. I cheat a bit by printing out a yearly layout and monthly ones, but my handwriting and art is terrible. You don't have to spend lots of time on one to make it functional.

I do like the flexibility of the bullet journal, and it means that all my lists are in one place, along with my diary and fitness logs.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    138shades wrote: »
    Its all up top......

You can free up some gb getting on it paper. You'd be so surprised how much smoother your thoughts run when it has to keep track of less details.
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    I have to plan my planning