Getting fed up with clean eating?

Options
I started my weigh loss journey in December 2015. Since then I've ate clean 90% of the time and been rewarded with a 60 lb weight loss.

I don't know if others are like this but I can eat pretty much anything whether I like it or not and well most of what I eat I'm not exactly fussed on and the novelty has really started to wear off. I eat chicken breast and brown rice and veg 4/5 nights per week because it's cheap and easily cooked after a days work, this past few days now I've either skipped dinner and ate chocolate as sick of eating it or I've ate the kids
leftovers, yesterday's dinner was a 3 musketeers bar for example.

As I say I've ate the same things daily for almost a year, chicken, rice, veg, eggs, turkey, sweet potatoes and am really sick of looking at them all.

Anyone experienced this or any advice?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you really still want to eat "clean" or "healthy" do some research. There is so much variety out there why are you limiting yourself to just a few items. Just off the top of my head there's fish, nuts, seeds, beans, pulses, pasta, tofu, fruit, hummus, porridge etc. There's also so many different healthy snacks you can buy or make too. Also search "clean eating recipes" on YouTube or google, you'll find hundreds.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    More variety is needed for sure - I wouldn't have lasted as long as you on such a basic 'diet'.
    I eat all foods but some I obviously limit i.e chocolate but I still enjoy some daily. My meals are never boring.
    Research some new and exciting recipes and knock the food boredom on the head :smile:
  • freedomofnow
    freedomofnow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm still on my first 5 kgs lost, but being a huge foodie I'd be lying if I said these thoughts didn't enter my mind. The challenge for me has been to make the food adequately tasty to be able to pass my critical taste buds as delicious.

What I've really gotten into are these one pot wonders. Just chuck mince into a frying pan with salt pepper and add as much ginger as you're comfortable with. I love it so I had like a solid mans thumbs worth. Then just top it off with frozen veggies (and more broccoli because holy damn I love broccoli). Pour generous amounts of soy sauce and concentrated stock (we have ecological chicken and beef stock here so I've used that), a touch more salt and pepper and let it sit with a lid. The ice around the frozen veggies will be liquid enough for a sauce and the soy and stock makes it delicious! Works well with rice and potatoes, and it's light on the calories!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As others have said why would you carry on eating 'clean' if you dont like it? You dont need it to keep losing weight and a bit of variety in your diet is good surely? I certainly couldnt stick to a way of eating it if involved such a restrictive boring list of foods I was allowed. To me if youre going to do that you may as well do a herbalife/slimfast/shakeology type diet!!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat clean or healthy to lose weight, just be in a caloric deficit. I like to eat mostly healthy to support my body with proper nutrition, but I make room in my calories for treats too so I don't get bored or feel deprived. I enjoy a chocolate protein bar every single day, as well as one or two yummy things like: ice cream, cheese, peanut butter, macaroni and cheese, sour cream, sushi, chocolate cereal, fruit smoothies, etc. If you eat mostly healthy and can fit it in your calories, go ahead and eat a bit of candy or whatever you're craving.

Also maybe you're just not properly seasoning your regular food? Personally I LOVE brown rice and chicken and veggies and sweet potatoes and eggs and all of that stuff... Do you use sea salt and fresh ground pepper and things like lemon juice, garlic, vinegars, oils, butter, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, honey, salsa, and/or herbs & spices when you cook?? It really makes a big difference to add proper seasonings to things. I used to think I had to cook my chicken by boiling it because I was on a diet- then I realized I could use some spray oil and pan sauté it and season it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I marinate shrimp before I cook them with lemon juice, garlic, dried basil, and chili flakes. I often add soy sauce and a little vinegar & honey when sautéing vegetables to give them an Asian type flavor. I often will squeeze a little lemon juice on my sweet potato or sprinkle some garlic powder on it. Or sometimes instead of just having it mashed I will instead cut them into large wedges and bake them for a different type of texture & they get even sweeter from browning & caramelizing.

You've got to get a little creative sometimes to keep things interesting, but it doesn't take much.
  • neilfitz1
    neilfitz1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's it I 'm comin over to stealth healths place.. I am salivating at your suggestions !
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    In for StealthHealth's sweet potato lasagna.

To the OP, I second what jemhh said. You need much more variety in your diet. Not that there's anything wrong with incorporating the treats you've been eating into your days, but what you've been doing in the name of "eating clean" is just ... dull.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Eat some salads to mix it up
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    An occasional sweetie is no problem, but skipping dinner to eat chocolate is a damn sight less "healthy" or "clean" than just varying your meal.

Almost any sort of meat / fish / seafood / veggie substitute with any sort of carb and any vegetable side would give you broadly similar nutrition to your boring dinner. Just keep control of the portion sizes and don't go mad with the cooking fat. It doesn't need to take significantly longer to cook than what you have now, once you've done the initial research to find some menus you like.