Half Marathon Nutrition Tips

Options
Anyone have any tips for pre and post workout fuel? Starting my training for my first half marathon on Monday. I'm quite active generally - I work out 6 days a week (HIIT & Strength Training) but only regularly run 3.5 miles once a week. Wondering if I will eventually need to increase carb intake in general as my runs get longer and as I'll be running 3x a week instead of just once!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    It is mostly before and after your long runs that you will want to increase your carbs, or after a tempo run if you will be doing those. When your long runs get to 10 miles and up, you may want to experiment with things like Gels or Gu or Shot Blocs, which you might want to use during your race (every 45 minutes or so) to give a bit of extra energy. It's not a necessity, but they can help. Practicing ahead of time lets you figure out which you like and which your stomach can tolerate when you're working hard.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Key question is, when is the race. If your starting from a 3 mpw base then fueling is the least of your concerns. Personally I wouldn't enter an HM plan on looked than 20mpw.

As you're staying at such a low base it's difficult to give you any meaningful advice, other than fuel your training, build your mileage carefully and be very aware of injury risk.

As above its useful to experiment when you're at the 10 mile distance, largely to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction.

I've used gels and chews in the past but now prefer tailwind. You can only process c300-400 calories per hour so a couple of tailwind sticks will cover you for the distance.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly new runner, but was surprised how easy I found post 1/2 nutrition. I love Pip and Nut peanut butter sachets immediately after a run. The sachet is convenient and easy to digest and I find it a great energy burst without a GI peak/slump. I then eat a banana or a protein flapjack about 20 minutes afterwards.

My main problem has been with in run nutrition. Dextro energy and gels have caused me to have crashing slumps mid run. However, while I've had better luck with small chewy things, I struggle with managing running and chewing, particularly late into the run.

Anyway my advice is to try different nutrition during your training runs. You will learn what works best for your body.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Wholegrain carbs pre, like oatmeal, rice, bread, corn. Sugar during (from honey, fruit juice, raisins, figs, etc), for long runs. Protein post, from a shake, beans, etc. Fat around, from extra virgin olive oil, avocado, cheese. Also make sure you're getting plenty of fruits and vegetables. You can make vegetable soup. And a multivitamin.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I never did anything in particular nutrition wise for my half - can't run over 8 miles with a deficit, so ate in maintenance for most of my training plan.

I just made sure I ate ALL the food the night before the race.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half, but I'm just eating what I normally eat.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I just hope your half marathon isn't anytime soon. With how little you are running now, it will take a while to build up your running base. I ran 5 days a week and had already done a few 5Ks, a 10K, and a 15K before starting my Half Marathon training. I'm not saying you have to do it that way, but 13.1 miles is a long distance and you don't want to have a miserable race experience. The good thing is that it sounds like you are fit aleady so it shouldn't feel as difficult as it would to someone who isn't currently exercising.

In regards to nutrition, I definitely increased my carb intake when I started really getting into running. I have my macros set at 60/15/25 for carbs, fat, and protein. It's good to have protein after runs. If I run early, it's usually on an empty stomach unless it's a long run. For long runs, it's good to experiment with what you'll eat on race day. Personally, I like a half an English muffin with honey and cinnamon with a small container of Greek yogurt.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half, but I'm just eating what I normally eat.

This is what I did too. Completed my half a few weeks ago (on an empty stomach). I was more afraid of getting runners trots from eating too much than i was of running out of steam. It all worked out.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ditto - I don't change my eating habits too much while training; on race day - nothing new - i stick to what I ate before I did any longer runs (normally oatmeal and an english muffin or similar)
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Run a H/M during Sunday. I ate normal breakfast 3 hrs before the race oat flakes with milk and one banana. 1 hr before the race I took 1 carbogel. One more at the half of the race. After the race sandwich and banana.
    So like the guys above said. The difference is that I took 2 carbo-gels.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Like several of the posters above, I never changed my eating habits during training for a half marathon. I did take a couple of gels late in the second half of the race, maybe mile 9 and mile 12, but I'm not sure if they were really needed. As with any race day plans, practice during your training runs.

Since training runs are done slower and therefore use a greater percentage of fat than a race, you really don't need to fuel during your long runs other than to test your race day fuel plan.

There's also no need to carbo-load for a half, in case you're wondering about that.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, yes, you will need to increase carb intake, but best is to experiment and find what works best for you, pre, during, and post nutrition wise. For me, on my long runs(anything over 10 miles) my go to pre meal is oatmeal with banana, a tbs of peanut butter, and a tbs of honey
  • llauraannee
    llauraannee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All great tips here thank you all. I have 16 weeks until my half so I'm planning on running at least 3 times a week building up my mileage gradually as I get closer to the date.

Sounds like I don't really need to fuss about too much with my macro or calorie intake unless I want to experiment with what I'll eat for the actual half. In case I want to try any gels does anyone have any tried and tested favourite brands?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I don't really need to fuss about too much with my macro or calorie intake unless I want to experiment with what I'll eat for the actual half. In case I want to try any gels does anyone have any tried and tested favourite brands?

It's such an individual thing that our recommendations won't be of much help. What works for me may not work for you. Your best bet is to go to a running store with a good variety and buy several different brands, different flavors, and different forms (gels, chews, "waffles", etc.) and test them out on your training runs.

I thought I would hate gels and love chews, but the opposite was true. Chews make me gag to eat when I'm running but gels are not an issue; I do tend to like non-fruit flavors such as vanilla, caramel, mocha, espresso, etc, but you may like the berry and citrus type flavors. I've never found any different between brands. You can get some types with caffeine if that's of interest. I've never tried the waffle types but they sound good.

One thing to keep in mind. If the race has Gatorade or any other carb-filled beverage at the aid stations, you can count that towards your carb intake during the race and may be able to eliminate gels/chews altogether. That's what I'd prefer to do.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    In training for my first Half Marathon, Sept 2016, I didn't change my diet at all. Just kept with my reasonably healthy calorie deficit lets lose this weight diet. During my long training runs and the race itself, I used Gu Gels. A reasonable pre-race meal, a reasonable time ahead of the race/long training run (these you will find during your training) and I was fine. It is only 2 to 3 hours. But the Gu Gels didn't hurt and they tasted fine, they probably did help. I used two during my Half, first at 4/5 miles and the second at 8/9. Made sure to wash the Gels with some water. I did carry two 16 ounce water bottles during the race. (I sweat). During your long training runs you will discover what is best for you. Enjoy the run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    All great tips here thank you all. I have 16 weeks until my half so I'm planning on running at least 3 times a week building up my mileage gradually as I get closer to the date.

Have you sorted yourself out with a training plan yet? Starting from scratch and increasing the mileage to be running 10 miles in about 10 weeks time has the potential to be challenging.

Gels etc are quite a personal thing. Even the flavours need some experimentation.

Personally I'll use either two honey stinger chews every 4km, or an SIS gel every 6km, or 750ml of Tailwind sipped over every hour.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I did something similar to what you're doing now. I wasn't running a whole lot (twice a week, 5 miles per week). I signed up for a half marathon (no previous races). I gave myself 18 weeks modifying the novice 1 Hal Higdon half marathon 12-week training (repeating some weeks twice and skipping one or two long runs due to scheduling). I didn't have to eat differently until I was about halfway through, around 15 miles per week. I had been training on a deficit. I had to up my calories to only a slight deficit (~200 calories) or maintenance otherwise my long runs suffered. Other than that, I didn't change my diet which was 50% carbs.

As for during the race, I've tried beans, gels, gummies... I generally have trouble with putting anything in my stomach while doing a long run (my stomach will ache even after water). So experiment with different things during your long runs *before* the half to see what works for you.