A pound a day?

Options
Hello im new here. Might be a silly question, but is loosing a pound a day healthy? Ive been circuit training for over a month and my weight wouldnt go down but as soon as started using the calorie counter ive been eating more to reach calorie needs and ive been dropping a pound a day.

Replies

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    People who are significantly overweight sometimes lose weight rapidly the first couple weeks. Much of this weight is water.

In the long term, losing weight at this rate is not healthy.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You're probably shedding water weight as your logging gets more accurate (and thus, your deficit becomes more solid). Unless you're 6'5" and working out six hours a day, you're not burning off 3500 calories a day plus your maintenance calories. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    1lb per day would not be easy achieve or a very healthy way to look at weight loss in general. You are talking about having to be in calorie deficit of 3500 cals per day for one thing. Granted when you have loads to lose initially several pounds will come off in the first few weeks but that will eventually slow to 2 or 3 lbs or less per week.
    There's no rush in losing weight, we certainly didn't gain our weight over night.
  • sarahabigailparas
    Options
    Im 5'7 and i weigh 201 atm. I do circuit training 6x a week plus boxing on MWF. Im just worried that im loosing too much im in this for the long term i dont wna rebound and start all over again.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    As you have a good bit to lose you can expect large losses initially so enjoy them while they happen, it will slow down. You are eating all the calories MFP has allotted to you ?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Im 5'7 and i weigh 201 atm. I do circuit training 6x a week plus boxing on MWF. Im just worried that im loosing too much im in this for the long term i dont wna rebound and start all over again.

I'm your height and have been your weight. Yes, losing 7 pounds a week is way too fast. For how long has this been going on?

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • sarahabigailparas
    Options
    Im trying to eat 1630 calories like what the mfp alloted me but sometimes i get so full that i cant eat anymore. Ive only been logging in my calorie intakes for 3 days cause i used a different calorie counter before but i change my diary settings for you guys to see and hopefully help me as to why im loosing that fast.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you're weighing your food (just going by your diary). Usually that leads to overeating, but it's possible in your case it has led to undereating. I still think it's more likely to be water weight you're losing as your body adjusts to exercise and your logging becomes more accurate, but it's worth buying a food scale and using it anyway.
  • sarahabigailparas
    Options
    Ive been doing circuit training and boxing for over a month now, is that still considered water weight?
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing circuit training and boxing for over a month now, is that still considered water weight?

Yes.

Unless you are creating a 3500 per day deficit you are not losing a lb per day of "fat". But either way congrats on the loss so far and keep up the good work!

• sarahabigailparas
    Options
    Awesome atleast now i can stop worrying about loosing weight that fast. Thank you to everyone that helped.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If you are too full to hit your calorie goals try including more fat and carbs, this often seems to happen when people start changing their diet and including more fruit, veg and protein, which is good, but it's possible to overdo it to where you aren't getting enough actual energy before you're full up. It's all about balance.