4 Month Diet Plan?

Options
Hey all,

I'm looking to at least lose 40lbs in the next 4 months and was wondering if anyone had good diet tips or recommendations? I work as a stable hand 4 days out of the week, but am a student/work in a office the other 3 days a week. Any tips would be greatly appreciated (:

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Why the rush? That's quicker than the maximum 2 pounds a week MFP allows, and even that is mostly meant for those who have double what you have to lose.
  • SideshowTam
    SideshowTam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Based on your photo alone, 40lb seems like quite a steep goal for a 4 month timeframe. What are your stats? Hard to give insight without a bit more info :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's more than a kilo per week, and achievable only if those 40 pounds are just part of what you aim to lose.

Why 4 months? Hint: Setting time limits on things you don't have total control over, is a bad idea.

What you can control, however, is your eating habits - and when you have your eating habits under control, and eat at a consistent calorie deficit, your body will have no choice but burn the stored fat.

You don't need a diet plan, you just need to eat at a calorie deficit, which means eating less than you burn, which means eating less than you do now. MFP has already given you a calorie goal to hit. Hit that, every day. If you want a diet plan, you can google "X calorie diet plan"; or buy one, or create it yourself - I recommend the last suggestion, because you are the one who knows your needs and preferences best, and you are the one who has to follow the plan.
  • CaeTroi
    CaeTroi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The rush is the fact that I currently have 2 weddings that I'm either in or going to. The first one is July 1st (I know over 4 months away, but figured it might take over 4 months to drop the weight). Then I'm the maid of honor in a wedding on October 14th. Beyond the weddings, I ride better when I'm slimmer & fitter so I'm looking to improve my riding also.

I'm 5'8" and 221lbs. My ultimate goal is to get down to 150lbs
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    CaeTroi wrote: »
    The rush is the fact that I currently have 2 weddings that I'm either in or going to. The first one is July 1st (I know over 4 months away, but figured it might take over 4 months to drop the weight). Then I'm the maid of honor in a wedding on October 14th. Beyond the weddings, I ride better when I'm slimmer & fitter so I'm looking to improve my riding also.

I'm 5'8" and 221lbs. My ultimate goal is to get down to 150lbs

you have plenty of time.

1.5lbs is probably a better rate of loss for you. Use MFP consistently, and you'll get there.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    4 months is not very much time to lose 40lbs.... just take it week by week, be consistent and it will pay off,
  • ameryati
    ameryati Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Sometimes, a time frame makes things more difficult. 10lbs in the first month is possible due to water weight etc., but it gets harder in the subsequent months and this may discourage you if you set rigid targets.
    Consistency will lead you to weight loss.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat in a sensible deficit consistently until you are happy with your weight.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Your body and your health don't care about weddings or your riding skills.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd plan to lose less weight in the time you have available to develop long term positive eating habits to keep the weight off.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Get more active, monitor your calorie intake, and drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. Those are the best tips you could ever get. 40 lbs in 4 months is a lot for someone your size, but I'm sure you could do it. The question you have to answer is "Should I do it?" If you are absolutely dead set on trying, then go for it. Keep your calorie intake down enough to where you would lose about 1.5 lbs a week and go from there. Any more than that and it can become very unhealthy. You didn't gain all the weight in a short amount of time and you shouldn't expect to lose it all in a short amount of time.
  • CaeTroi
    Options
    Do you guys have any recommendations for "quick" workouts. I struggle with time as I work 46hrs a week and am taking 5 graduate level classes this semester. This winter I'm down in FL for 3 weeks and plan on running/walking and working out before I start work. But being stuck in NJ for the rest of the winter is surely going to kill my motivation.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All workouts are good. The best workout is the workout you actually do.

You have to lose the "quick" mindset.
  • CaeTroi
    Options
    All workouts are good. The best workout is the workout you actually do.

You have to lose the "quick" mindset.

I understand that all workouts are good, but sometimes all I have is a short time window in my apartment, rather than time to go to the gym.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have any recommendations for "quick" workouts. I struggle with time as I work 46hrs a week and am taking 5 graduate level classes this semester. This winter I'm down in FL for 3 weeks and plan on running/walking and working out before I start work. But being stuck in NJ for the rest of the winter is surely going to kill my motivation.

Check out Fitnessblender - they have tons of workouts (almost all of them free) for every level of fitness ranging from 5 minutes to I think an hour. Anything you can think of that you would like to work on, they have a video for! Kelli and Daniel also don't yell at you which I personally find nice. :)

Cheers and good luck!
  • CaeTroi
    Options

Check out Fitnessblender - they have tons of workouts (almost all of them free) for every level of fitness ranging from 5 minutes to I think an hour. Anything you can think of that you would like to work on, they have a video for! Kelli and Daniel also don't yell at you which I personally find nice. :)

Cheers and good luck!

Thank you so much!
  • lindagrimm904
    lindagrimm904 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank You, I will check it out!
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    With the amount you have to lose, 40 in 4 months is attainable. But don't set yourself up for disappointment by setting a hard and fast goal that you must lose a specific amount in that time frame.