Loss v effort

Options
Hi I am a bit new to this I thought I was doing really well , but now have not lost any weight for 12 days, lost 14lbs in previous month, I think I am prob not eating enough, but am worried that if I eat more I won't lose any more.
I am 5ft 7 and now weigh 165lbs
I am moderately active I keep horses and walk my dogs most days
I would like to weigh 140lbs ,
would someone who knows about these things point me in right direction on amount of calories etc I should be eating please? I think my calorie intake is recommended at 1200 and I normally eat about 1100 ish with an occasional bad day of about 2000 x
I am the type of person who if doesn't see results am likely to get fed up and bin it, so would like to lose 2 lbs a week xx

Replies

• bgoddess2003
    bgoddess2003 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have lost inches? Try not to give up maybe add something new to burn more calories.
    I am just back myself to moving I might be the person to answer this. Good luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you don't have enough weight to lose to go for 2lbs a week... weight loss isn't linear, 12 days isn't very long.

reset your calorie goal to eat 1lb per week, and be more patient
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm going to relate what's worked for me to lose 70 lbs thus far. I'm 5'7 and weigh 168 so almost the same stats. I have 15 more pounds to lose to get to my first goal weight. I'll reevaluate at that time to see if I'd want to lose a little more.

I can tell you that this has been a long journey and one I've made many times before, so maintenance is my focus this time around. I'm always thinking about whether or not I'm learning new lifestyle eating habits. Now's the time to learn how to do this so you can keep the weight off permanently. I'm telling you this because getting to your end goal as fast as you can shouldn't be the focus.

I lost weight very quickly in the beginning because I had a higher basal metabolic rate due to how heavy I was. Now that I'm close to a healthy BMI (and so are you), my daily calorie deficit isn't as great so the weight comes off more slowly. It use to be that 2 lbs a week felt slow to me, but now I'm thrilled to lose 1+ lbs a week. Weight loss isn't linear and 12 days is not a stall. You'll likely see little plateaus and then, swish, then another little plateau, swish... Eating a 1200 calorie diet is fine as long as you don't feel starved and you're not a heavy exerciser. I walk daily and eat at 1200 calories and don't feel deprived because I usually eat a lot of protein and fiber (veggies) that satisfy me.

1. Log all of your food/drink accurately/honestly (weigh and measure)
    2. Don't dip below 1200 calories a day
    3. Have realistic expectations about how weight loss drops (it's not linear) and 2+ lbs a week when you're so close to a healthy BMI isn't realistic
    4. Learn how to eat in a way that will help you with maintenance. This is a lifestyle change, not a race.

Best of luck to you!