Lost the plot and the will to live (metaphorically)

Options
I have to date, or more accurately at sometime in the last 4 months lost a total of 2 stone and 2lb. I now have put on 5lbs and if I don't take control it is going to get worse.
Problem is motivation and feeling of complete fed-up-ness. I have just been through a redundancy consultation to find that I am safe but with the opportunity to go for another job within the same company a sort of promotion, definately better salary only to find I didn't get it and the person that did has had more time off work on maternity and sick leave and hasn't therefore shown a track record of success. I am in the top 4 performers in the whole team (of 36) and I am feeling rather fed up to say the least. On top of that, I just keep eating, I have no motivation to exercise, its cold, its wet and I just feel like hibernating.

I need some ideas on how to get back on track with my weight loss! Help please!!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Set a 6 month goal that's reasonable and write it down.
    Working backwards you write down what you plan on completing each month.
    Improve sleep?
    Reduce stress?
    Drink more water?
    Take a multivitamin and fish oil daily?
    Walk 10k steps a day?
    Exercise 3x a week?

What's your plan?
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I guess I want to lose at least a stone in 6 months - I think that is reasonable. 5lb a month roughly. I know what I need to do, it's just finding the motivation. I start again every day at the moment - I have now put on half a stone. I need to stop drinking (alcohol) stop snacking, stop eating cake when I got to my mother in laws on a sunday and stop eating darts supper on a monday night which consists of white bread sandwiches!! Today is a new day (again) not going out for a bike ride despite the horribly cold look of frost outside
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    Enter your information into MFP.
    Select Sedentary as your activity level.
    Select 1 lb/week as the amount you want to lose.
    MFP will give you a calorie amount.

Get a food scale in order to weigh your food and log it accurately so that you eat the number of calories MFP gives you.

Exercise helps because you can eat roughly half your exercise calories back. So ... when you know you're going to go out, exercise earlier in the day, burn some calories, and then you can eat a bit more. But log everything realistically and honestly.

You can eat whatever you want ... but you do have to keep it to that calorie amount. So it might take some strategy. And you may discover that certain foods have more staying power than others ... that requires some experimentation. Visit your local grocery stores and markets to find foods that work for you.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For motivation, this might work for you, it certainly worked for me:

Start asking yourself "Why would / wouldn't I?" and follow it up with a positive thought.

e.g.

Why would I eat that cake / cookie / candy bar? By not eating it, I will fit into my smaller jeans sooner!
    Why would I drink wine when it's just empty calories? If I don't, I'll lose more weight this week!

Why wouldn't I take the stairs? I could burn X calories and get fitter!
    Why wouldn't I park further from the grocery store? It will be great exercise carrying the bags to the car!
    Why wouldn't I use the treadmill while I watch TV? (I do have one at home!) It will help me meet my goals sooner!

I am 46, 5' 4" and currently at 129, down from 200 (over 10 months).

Good luck!!
  • beebee200
    beebee200 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dear Lisa,

Professional life can be sometimes tough or unfair but it is up to you to manage the damage... Rather then to spiral out of control why not surround yourself with inspiration of what you would like to become? I can give you an example that has worked for me. I have an instagram account where i follow fitness accounts, healthy living and inspiring quotes. When I get low or i'm lacking in motivation checking in there does help.

Replace food as a numbing tool for your emotions with a commitement to heath.

Good luck,
    Bee

Good luck,
    Bee
  • lisamerrison
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Enter your information into MFP.
    Select Sedentary as your activity level.
    Select 1 lb/week as the amount you want to lose.
    MFP will give you a calorie amount.

Get a food scale in order to weigh your food and log it accurately so that you eat the number of calories MFP gives you.

Exercise helps because you can eat roughly half your exercise calories back. So ... when you know you're going to go out, exercise earlier in the day, burn some calories, and then you can eat a bit more. But log everything realistically and honestly.

You can eat whatever you want ... but you do have to keep it to that calorie amount. So it might take some strategy. And you may discover that certain foods have more staying power than others ... that requires some experimentation. Visit your local grocery stores and markets to find foods that work for you.

I have done all this. Have been doing it for years, but thank you anyway. As I said in my posts, I know what to do it is just finding the motivation to do it. But thank you for taking the time to reply. :)
  • lisamerrison
    Options
    For motivation, this might work for you, it certainly worked for me:

Start asking yourself "Why would / wouldn't I?" and follow it up with a positive thought.

e.g.

Why would I eat that cake / cookie / candy bar? By not eating it, I will fit into my smaller jeans sooner!
    Why would I drink wine when it's just empty calories? If I don't, I'll lose more weight this week!

Why wouldn't I take the stairs? I could burn X calories and get fitter!
    Why wouldn't I park further from the grocery store? It will be great exercise carrying the bags to the car!
    Why wouldn't I use the treadmill while I watch TV? (I do have one at home!) It will help me meet my goals sooner!

I am 46, 5' 4" and currently at 129, down from 200 (over 10 months).

Good luck!!

This sounds like a good idea, I think I will try doing it. Starting today!!
  • lisamerrison
    Options
    Set a 6 month goal that's reasonable and write it down.
    Working backwards you write down what you plan on completing each month.
    Improve sleep?
    Reduce stress?
    Drink more water?
    Take a multivitamin and fish oil daily?
    Walk 10k steps a day?
    Exercise 3x a week?

What's your plan?

I have created a 6 month plan and put against it how much I want to lose, which is 1lb a week and against the days I think I can sustain I have added when I am going to go out on my bike, when I am going to commit to going line dancing.
    I used to be able to do 23k on my bike on a weekend, today I only managed 20 minutes (4k) and I was shattered so I have decided to commit to going out on my bike for 20 minutes for 2 more sessions (once a week) and then up it to 30 minutes. If I can commit to that I might get motivated to do more!