Low carb high fat

Options
I'm trying to follow a LCHF woe but nothing is moving infact I'm gaining although feel a lot better than when I followed SW or WW
I must be getting something wrong. Am I right in thinking I can eat meat , fish , veg - above ground , cheese, butter , cook in coconut oil , lay off the bread , rice , potatoes.
Could I have some tips please on do's and don'ts. Thanks x

Replies

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    how much of those are you eating ? i dont do LCHF but i think they still look at calories after they get there way of eating down pat

good luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you eating in a deficit?
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I eat LCHF as it works for me.....I feel satiated and have energy. When I eat high carbs (i'm talking about grains, flour, rice, etc) I feel bloated and sluggish. It may be the exact opposite for other folks. I eat meat, poultry, shellfish, vegetables, fruit, nuts and oils for the most part. 95% LCHF, I eat popcorn for a snack every night haha

I was eating LCHF "freestyle" at first.....not counting calories. (I lift weights 4x/wk and HIIT 3x/wk). I was losing about a half pound a week. Then I stalled. I wanted to kick it up a notch so....

1. I invested in a $15 digital scale from WalMart and started weighing EVERYTHING......in grams.
    2. Input my stats into the MFP calorie calculator, and ate the recommended amount of calories.
    3. Eat half of the exercise calories I earned (it makes me exercise more so I can earn more calories to eat lol)

The scale is moving again and i'm back to 2lbs/wk loss for the past 3 weeks. I'm 51 and menopausal so yes ladies weight does move after menopause. At this time, I have a specific goal in mind by a specific date. Once that date is passed, i'm going back to 0.5 lb/wk.

tldr; eat at a caloric deficit. Weight lifting/cardio isn't necessary, but it sure does a bang up job of preserving muscle while you're in a calorie deficit, and once the fat is stripped the body looks more fit
  • cfritch2171
    cfritch2171 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do low/moderate carbs, just because I feel better when my carbs are lower. The most important thing is still eating at a calorie deficit.

I watch calories first, carbs second. I also weight everything, especial with starches.
  • nadd1
    nadd1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what your macros are set at ?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are gaining weight, it's because your calories are too high. While some are satiated by LCHF and can naturally cut calories, others cannot. So the first thing you need to do, is get your calories under control. Do you track calories or just carbs? Do you exercise? What are your stats?

The below group might be beneficial for you as well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • cfritch2171
    cfritch2171 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    nadd1 wrote: »
    Can I ask what your macros are set at ?

Mine are at 25-40-35 and I eat at a 1550 calorie limit.

97 g carbs
    69 g fat
    136 g protein (which I don't always get to - I usually fall around 110-120)

I have only been at it for a couple of weeks, but I have lost about 5 lbs and feel really great - I don't feel deprived, and working out allows me to eat more carbs depending on my activity level.

I did low low carb (less than 30 carbs a day) a few years ago and while I lost about 30 lbs I felt miserable and it was incredibly unsustainable for me - I found this ratio works better for me.
  • sarahshealthy
    sarahshealthy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're indeed getting ENOUGH fat. I have kickstarted my LCHF WOE and when I did it back in the summer I dropped 22 pounds. I have actually kept this weight off and nothing else has done that for me.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It is hard to say from looking at your diary as you really don't seem to be logging much so here are some questions.
    1) Are you weighing your food including the fat? In GRAMS preferably as it is more accurate.
    2) Are you sticking to a calorie goal?
    3) Are you maintaining a food diary on paper so that you can see if you meet or exceed your daily goal?

It is imperative to keep accurate track of what you consume so that you can see where you are going wrong. If you don't weigh your food and burn more than you consume you will run into this very issue. Some people believe that Low Carb High Fat means you can just wrecklessly eat copious amounts of fat and protein as long as the carbs are very low. This is just not the case. You still need to remain within a deficit.

If you need help figuring out how to do this accurately or in a way that isn't such a pain in the neck you can try doing a prep of certain more frequently used items. This can save a lot of time at meals. For example, butter, oils etc.... can be measured in advance. Butter can be cut into pats and placed in a sealed container or food storage bag on parchment paper. Just grab a pat of butter and get on with your life, after you log it of course. Small plastic portion cups are good for storing a tablespoon of olive oil. Again, just grab a cup of oil and get on with life. The same goes for pre measured coconut oil, servings of shredded cheese, nuts, etc.... Single servings of meats can be stored in the freezer or fridge the same way. I say this because one common downfall is not wanting or having time to weigh everything while preparing a meal. Sometimes we are just too hungry or rushed, or busy to worry about that. It feels "in the way" sort of. I don't know what is hindering you from logging, but maybe you can find a way to do it that doesn't feel like a chore.
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If what I say is a repeat, sorry. But low-carb foods are not necessarily low-calorie. Nuts and oils, for instance, can easily run up the number of calories you are consuming. I eat a LCHF diet and I still have to log my foods to keep track of my calories. If I didn't, I would eat double what I need just from cheese and nuts alone! You are correct in the foods that you can eat, but just be sure you are maintaining a calorie deficit, as well.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    If what I say is a repeat, sorry. But low-carb foods are not necessarily low-calorie. Nuts and oils, for instance, can easily run up the number of calories you are consuming. I eat a LCHF diet and I still have to log my foods to keep track of my calories. If I didn't, I would eat double what I need just from cheese and nuts alone! You are correct in the foods that you can eat, but just be sure you are maintaining a calorie deficit, as well.

Right?! I'm always slightly disappointed that a serving of cheese isn't the size of my fist. LOL!