Do you get up early to exercise? Or after work etc?

Options

Replies

• Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I'm going to go with the morning workout... i could easily get up at 5:40... work out an hour... get home and shower. My gym is only 5 mins from house. One question. How do you keep from waking your spouse?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:45am Tuesday-Friday, drink a pre-workout, and start working out by 5:30 at the latest. I then work out until 7am, jump in the shower and get ready for work so I can be there by 8. I used to try and work out after work, but by the time I got home there were a thousand different things stopping me from getting my workout done. This way it's so early nobody bothers me, and I get it done without fail (assuming I can drag myself out of bed lol). My workouts were never consistent until I started doing the early morning thing. On weekends I also work out, I simply allow myself to sleep in a bit longer first unless something is planned.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,816 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I used to exercise in the morning, until I got my present job in which I work from home and the rest of my team is on the East Coast (I'm in the Los Angeles area). Plus a very occasional telecon with the company headquarters in the UK (8 hours difference).
    So I start work around 5:30 am - 6:00 am. But the beauty of it is that I'm done by around 2:30, give or take half an hour. The gym isn't that crowded then, or else I run outside. That was a pain in summer because of the heat - I just had to wait until early evening. Now it's cooler and easier.

Then my husband doesn't get home until 7:30 pm so I go run errands and cook dinner.

I do exercise in the morning on the weekend though.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person but I've adapted to getting up 6 am and get to the gym before i start work at 9. It is so nice not having to deal with the crowds in the evening and also by the end of the day i am more likely not to workout after work. It took me some time to get used to getting up early but I jump in the shower and that wakes me up.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year I'd exercise in the morning and get to work late. Then I quit that and started exercising less often after dinner in the evening. Then I quit exercising at home. Now I'm intent upon resuming exercise in the evening at home.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM, sometimes I will workout before the kids get up at 5:45 other times I will work out once they are up and fed around 9am. When I worked full time I would get up at 4:30 to get my workout done. I just find if I don't get it done first thing in the morning other things pop up.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    gojaqs wrote: »
    lw8sf1ccrki4.jpg

This is me! If I don't go in the AM, I will not do it. I own my own business, have an Internet business and do my husband's books for his business. Thank goodness my kids are grown, or I would be a VERY tired 50 year old! I usually hit the gym between 6-630 depending on day. I go Monday - Thursday and sometimes Friday if I happen to be off work (rarely). It helps I have always been a morning person.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I approached my weightloss as one would your job and NOT an OPT IN event. Both@AM and PM.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,371 Member
    Options
    You've all inspired me. I would go 2-3 days a wk in the afternoons but have gone in the morning now & then. After reading thru this, I'm going to commit the rest of this week to going every morning
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    All great info here folks! You early risers, what time do you get in bed the nights before those 5am (or earlier) wake up calls? Do you ever feel absolutely drained right after lunch when doing this?

Up at 4:10 to be at the gym at 5:00AM. Lights out by 10:00 PM and it takes me maybe 30 seconds to fall asleep.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    gojaqs wrote: »
    lw8sf1ccrki4.jpg

^^^^^ this.

This is me. Don’t let the brain figure out what you’re doing. Rather than hitting snooze or checking social media when the alarm goes off, I get straight out of bed, have a glass of water and get into my gym stuff. I need to be out of the door and halfway down the street before my brain figures it out.

I started with packing everything for work and driving to the gym but then had to fight for showers. Now I run to the gym (that’s my warm-up) do a weights session or continue on the treadmill, then run home. I make sure my lunch is all packed and ready the night before.

It’s not so easy now the mornings are dark as I’d rather be running outside and getting out in the dark is tough. The heating is on when I get up so the room is warm (reduces the chance of me hiding back under the duvet). I’d like to get up every morning but it isn’t realistic, so I aim for three or four weekdays. That way I can tell myself I can have a lie-in the next day as long as I get up today. It’s all about making deals with myself.
    Working out in the morning makes me feel energised, but towards the end of the week I can tire. Bed is around 9.30/10pm but I’m not very good at falling asleep.

By working out in the mornings it also leaves me free to do other things in the evenings – meet with friends, go to a dance class, create some great food for a couple of days etc.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I'm going to go with the morning workout... i could easily get up at 5:40... work out an hour... get home and shower. My gym is only 5 mins from house. One question. How do you keep from waking your spouse?

After 20 yrs of my getting up at 5:55 (alarm rings) and my going in the bathroom after closing the bedroom door--softly, he's used to it and sleeps right through. I dress in the bathroom in my minimal, stretchy exercise outfit, brush my teeth and head into the livingroom (with a small flashlight in the winter). We have a nice big Chinese area rug and I put an old blanket down over it. I close the livingroom door and turn on the TV. Then I start my stretching routine, mixed with yoga for 45 min. At 7:00 I'm done and back to the bathroom, put on a robe and go make breakfast for husband and me. At 8:15 we both leave for the pool and fitness center--a 10 min walk. At 10:30 we meet at the desk in the fitness center and go for a cappucino and roll together at our favorite neighborhood bar. We do this 3-4 times a week.
  • krissy5686
    krissy5686 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work out as soon as I put the kids to bed. It works well for me and is a great way for me to unwind at the end of the day.

This. I already wake up super early to get myself and the baby out the door on time for work. So after she goes to bed, I dutifully go down to the basement and workout. Actually, if I push myself hard, then I find it easier to get to sleep because I've tired myself out so much. Not as much tossing and turning. Now that we have a treadmill, I've convinced my husband to join me too. I figure as long as I'm good about getting the exercise in, it shouldn't matter when.

Now, when the little one is older and we have more after school/after dinner things to deal with, this all might change.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have 2 hours child care on the premises. And IMO it's great for the kids so they learn social skills and interaction early. It sucks when as a parent you're excited for you kid to start school, and they call you up because your kid can't stop crying because they've never been away from you.
    I started taking my DD at 3 months old. She's a gym girl for life now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    one of these days i will motivate myself enough to do it all early in the morning ..otherwise i am a latter in the day type of person to work out.. then i cant sleep lol ... i get up early but i just hate moving fast in the morning.. i rather enjoy the lollygagging early in the day because once i start my actual day i never sit still ugghh
  • d_shannon5
    d_shannon5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    After working for 30 years and having to commute, plus raising family I always found it easier to work out a few days at a gym either before or after but usually before. If it was before I had to go directly there, once I got home it was all over.

I'm a morning person so I preferred getting it done at the beginning of my day. I walked everywhere possible including getting off the train a few stops before, parking my car at the furthest spot, taking the stairs etc. It also helped that the place I worked had a gym so that was convenient.

I've since retired from that job and now work full time from home. That was actually a challenge at the beginning however I'm in a routine now where I work out most mornings before I begin work. Before I started work at 7 a.m. because it was the best time to get into the city with traffic so I was out of the house before 6. Now I start work around 9 and usually will have my workout in before 8.

I also found it best to stick with something you like but also change it up. The key to success is to find what's good for you, what you like to do and go with it. And no matter how you're moving during your day make it work for you.

When my kids were small I'd get my leg workout by doing airplanes with them. I'd lay on my back put them on my feet and they'd fly, good for my legs and abs and heart (their laughter was all I needed).

Good luck!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I get up around 5:30 am on a regular day, so I'm not pushing that any further for an AM workout. I do walk the dog every morning, which gets me about 15 minutes of light cardio. The dog gets another walk around 5pm, then we eat dinner, and then if I'm up to it I will do a strength training DVD at my house. We do belong to a gym (the YMCA), but I don't really go there to work out because it's a lot more convenient just to go to the basement.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate to have a fitness center in my office building I utilize at lunch for cardio and a home gym I use in the evenings/weekends for lifting. I won't get up early to work out unless I find my evenings/weekends are becoming too busy with homework, dinner, sports, etc. I lift at home 4 days/week, work full time, have three kids (16, 12, 9) and a husband who works out with me in the evenings.

If I didn't have all this at my disposal, I'd probably have a hard time getting to the gym and make excuses to not go.
  • Meticulous_Nails
    Meticulous_Nails Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening after work 1 hour after my dinner, i try to do 2 days in a row and take a off day on day three and then keep this up consistantly . I have more energy in the evening and I wake up less bloated.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm trying to find a right fit for me for work outs....I like the idea of getting up early and going for a walk, or hitting the gym on the way to work (it's actually on the way) but I live with my sister and my mom right now and they usually go to bed around 12am and 2 am, respectively, and I am oftentimes staying up too late with them, and then rushing out of bed at 7am, exhausted, trying to keep quiet while I shower, make breakfast, and take care of pets, all with the lights off and no music or anything. My sister says shes willing to get up early and take walks with me, but we tried that and it was always up to me to wake her up, she refuses to set an alarm, and I know she won't go to the gym if I decide to do that. I'm thinking I could go to the gym after I get out of work at 5:30, and get home around 7pm, but I've always wanted a morning routine. Not sure what to do other than move out -_-