Restarting yet again

Options
Hello all,

My name is Kelly and I'm from NY. This must be the 1,000,000th time I've attempted to get my weight under control and live a healty life. It bugs me that I'm back again at this since I am pretty much successful at all other aspecs of my life (good marriage, financially secure, friends and family are good, etc) except for this. I have such a mental block about keeping myself motivated for more than a week or two and I don't know why.

I'm not getting any younger, and now the lack of being as healthy as I should be (I'm 47) is starting to manifest itself in seeing the issues that can arise by being overweight. In June / July, I had a heart issue that required tests, and while most things ended up being okay, I had to start taking blood pressure meds every day. Plus I've had knee surgery and arthritis that sometimes get in the way of being active. I am now prone to injuries that I had never had to deal with before, which also gets depressing. You'd think that all of these issues would be enough to scare me, but nope, I haven't done much since to get control over my health. I also realized that clearly I can't do it on my own, so I'm hoping to be an involved member of MFP and hopefully this time it will stick. Trying to stay positive and take it day by day since I know that there's still time to reverse this cycle.

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What have you done during you previous attempts? Maybe you're just "biting over" too much? A healthy lifestyle doesn't have to be difficult, and it should not be hard/boring/depressing etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Don't try to change everything all at once. Losing weight is eating less & moving more. Start by tweaking one meal at a time. Perhaps, wear a pedometer & track your steps.

Finding something that "sticks" likely won't a massive change. But that's okay because a few small changes to your current lifestyle will work too.
  • kelly1969a
    kelly1969a Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran, @teaBea - Thanks for responding. I do have a tendency to overdo it at times, but even if I try a few small things, I'll be good for a little while and then I drop the ball. I know that part of my problem is that things don't become a habit for me because my work schedule changes on a weekly basis, and there are times where I don't know where I'll be until the day before I had to be there. One week I can be working from home, the next week I have a 5 hour round trip commute to a client, another week I'm on a plane and won't be home until the weekend. At this point in my life, work is how I spend the majority of my time, and it severely affects my scheduel and sometimes my attitude.

One thing I'm trying this time is to write down five small goals per day to meet. These goals are varying degrees of time and effort, so hopefully this will push me in the right direction. I am a fan of lists but I have to remember, that if it's not perfect, I can't beat myself up for it. Fingers crossed!
  • dparizeau
    dparizeau Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Brave post; well done. I appreciate folks that are advocating for "baby steps" but I don't think small changes are going to get you there (and I bet you don't think they will either). Here's what worked for me: http://whole30.com Get the book on tape and listen -- repeatedly -- to the Chapter on hormones. In the audiobook, I think it is section 11. If you see yourself in that chapter like I saw myself, I think Whole 30 will set you free. Good luck!
  • TJnTexas
    TJnTexas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Small goals are what got me started and help me continue. I make my bed every morning. Read this:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/why-you-should-make-your-bed-every-morning/

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    How do you commute? Can you take along non-refrigerated healthy snacks that stay within your calorie goals and provide some nutrition? When my work schedule has me working 12 or more hours, I some times choose to get my calories from snacking at the workplace. Just be sure to accurately log the things you eat.

You do need a plan to get you through the oddness of your work and commute schedule, so work on that.
    I'm 54 and this is not a diet. It is a lifestyle change. The first part of it is to get into a calorie deficit and stay in a calorie deficit and learn how to be comfortable in a calorie deficit. That's hard. It may take you several weeks to get comfortable in a calorie deficit. It is possible and you can do it. The nice part is that once you get comfortable in a calorie deficit you lose weight and eventually your weight falls enough that your TDEE equals your habitual eating. Your calorie deficit becomes your maintenance without you having to make more changes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    dparizeau wrote: »
    Brave post; well done. I appreciate folks that are advocating for "baby steps" but I don't think small changes are going to get you there (and I bet you don't think they will either). Here's what worked for me: http://whole30.com Get the book on tape and listen -- repeatedly -- to the Chapter on hormones. In the audiobook, I think it is section 11. If you see yourself in that chapter like I saw myself, I think Whole 30 will set you free. Good luck!

An extreme elimination diet? No thanks.

I'm fat because my portions are too big, not because I eat dairy. I'm fat because I move too little, not because I eat foods that have added sugar.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    OP: Regardless of who you choose to 'friend' here, or what advice you choose to listen to, or what way of eating (WOE) you choose, choose it out of love and care for self, and not out of fear.

Good Luck!

(Add me if you like...)
  • dparizeau
    dparizeau Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    An extreme elimination diet? No thanks. I'm fat because my portions are too big, not because I eat dairy. I'm fat because....

I'm not fat, but I used to be. Everything you say is true (portions and exercise) but it's not the whole story. Sugar matters. www.whole30.com
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    at least you are attempting... im back too and found out i lost 16lbs since last year so since i came back i lost four more ...im not stopping this time ..im going to Greece in February and I need to get my groove on during the dream trip of a lifetime ..look out here i come!!!!!! i am welcoming anyone on here who wants to be my friend and kick my butt the next few months ...
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Drastic elimination diets might work for the short term, but this is long term, if you are not staying within your calorie goals, figure out why. Stress, Skipped meals, habitual?

You don't need a detox, or elimination diet, or magic pill, you can do this, keep trying!
  • kelly1969a
    kelly1969a Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    maryjay52 wrote: »
    at least you are attempting... im back too and found out i lost 16lbs since last year so since i came back i lost four more ...im not stopping this time ..im going to Greece in February and I need to get my groove on during the dream trip of a lifetime ..look out here i come!!!!!! i am welcoming anyone on here who wants to be my friend and kick my butt the next few months ...

@maryjay52 You are going to LOVE Greece. I went a few years ago and it was one of the best trips I've ever taken. What parts of the country are you visiting?
  • childrenrus
    childrenrus Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a mum in my 40's living in the UK and need to restart after a long break due to the pressures of life!!
  • pvil1
    pvil1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also restarting, yet again. Hopefully we will find the support we need this go around to have a healthy lifestyle. Good luck on your journey :)
  • daviddaw9948
    daviddaw9948 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well done for finding the courage to start again. I am older than you are, but I have reached a similar stage. I don't have heart problems, but arthritis is a real problem for me. My knees and hips are painful, and I realize that if I do not do something now, then when will it be the right time? How ill should I become before I resolve to change, if not now? I want to be able to walk, exercise, continue to ride motorcycles, and generally enjoy my forthcoming retirement without my life being shortened by a heart attack, cancer, diabetes, or a stroke.

So, here I am. I am exercising daily, and eating sensibly. It is producing results, and if there is a setback (and there will be), I will just carry on doing what I am doing. In the past I have lost heart when faced with an obstacle, but that cannot happen this time. I have resolved to change my eating habits for ever, and to take at least 30 minutes of exercise on at least 5 days in a week. The secret is to find a form of exercise that you enjoy doing. It does not matter how effective it is, if you don't like it you will not do it. I am walking, even in the depths of a grey British winter. I download podcasts, that I would otherwise not have time to listen to, and I look forward to my walks.

Even writing this down makes me feel more positive about the future.
  • havecakeeatittoo
    Options
    maryjay52 wrote: »

I've always wanted to go to greece. What are you doing to loose the weight. I'm trying low calorie, equal carb to protein, low fat, small portions will by my hardest challenge.